Thread: Boxing

PRODIGAL SUN

That was the thing about Iron Mike. Even non-boxing heads would tune in to watch the destruction. One doesn’t have to be a boxing aficionado to appreciate Tyson’s animalistic demeanor and his square-circle ruthlessness. I remember first time I saw Mike fight on tv. It was from New York on ABC in an outdoor arena in the mid-80's. No robe, no socks with a gladiator's mentality. I think it was against Jesse Ferguson. I couldn’t believe what I was watching! He came to search and destroy. And I had never seen a man that size with the tools he had. Not only did he have amazing hand-speed but the way he would set up his punches by going to the body with hooks and finishing the head with the same punch. Amazing for a heavyweight to be able to throw them type of combinations. And the ferocity of his power punches was absurd. You could hear the thudding. I’ve been around the bloodsport since the late 70’s when as a baby my pops would take me to the Los Angeles Olympic Auditorium and the Sports Arena to watch fights live or the Anaheim Convention Center to watch fights on closed-circuit tv, and I have never watched a boxer that brought me the joy Tyson did. To this day I still get goosebumps when I watch tapes of his annihilations. Funny thing you mention Etienne seemed like he only showed up for the money. I think in his prime 100% of his opponents showed up only to obtain their biggest paycheck.

What a difference between watching Tyson and Mayweather! You’re on point on the disappointment of watching a Floyd fight. It gets extremely boring due to his extreme defensive dexterity. I don’t mind a boxer being defensive, as long as he uses it to gain an advantage on offense and stays in the pocket and moves his waist/head to slip punches, while countering with some meaningful punches. Floyd just depends too much on his legs, and for the most part it looks like he’s running. What gets me is that he has all the offensive weapons necessary but he’s so afraid to use them because of the risk of getting touched. I will not miss this cat once he’s retired.

The peek-a-boo style! That was taught to him by Cus D'Amato. And he was unhittable in his early days when he used it. Once he got lazy and stopped using it that's when he started getting touched more often. I don't see why fighters nowadays don't use it. The same goes with modern-day centers not trying to learn Kareem's unstoppable sky-hook. I just don't get it!

PRODIGAL SUN

Damn, I thought Tyson had scary walkouts!

PRODIGAL SUN

“It’s Macho Time!” Hector Camacho was a showman. Flamboyant Puerto Rican was a legend. You could always count on him to rock an original outfit and to entertain with his entrance and ring generalship. The Mythical Mexican (Julio Cesar Chavez) was always on a mission – from the time he came out his locker room. Looked like he was trying to start a royal rumble in the tunnel. Best ring-walk was Tyson when he’d come out to Public Enemy’s “Welcome to the Terrordome.”

PRODIGAL SUN

PRODIGAL SUN

Juan Manuel Marquez, one of Mexico’s finest! And one of the best counter punchers that has ever lived. Beautiful technical boxer who throws precise combinations and isn’t scared to stand toe-to-toe. Being overly aggressive against him is as detrimental as playing Russian roulette against Grim Reaper. Manny Pacquiao can attest to that.

PRODIGAL SUN

WTF was this...

PRODIGAL SUN

This was blasphemy! That was a way past his prime Chavez. Just to show you how far gone he was, he lost to some cat named Willy Wise a year after losing this fight. Willy Wise? Wasn’t he a character in them 1980’s Heathcliff cartoons?

The Cesar of Boxing was already being harassed by Father Time the first time these two hombres met in 1996. A prime Chavez vs a prime Oscar? Would have been the same outcome of a prime Tyson vs a prime Lenox Lewis - full-blown decimation. Julio makes pollo caldo de la hoya with The Golden Boy. There is no way the old man should have lasted this long with Oscar in this fight and no way he should have been able to land so many punches.

If you really analyze this version of Chavez you will be able to tell that he no longer had the legs, all his power punches were arm punches. And even when he was able to obtain the right range, he didn’t have the reflexes to let his combination go. When you’re a swarming, stalking type of fighter your squared-circle life span will not be the same of a finesse or defensive boxer or even a boxer that likes to fight from a distance. You will age a lot sooner.

Asses can look at all the listings of the greatest Latin fighters of all-time and they will see Chavez right behind Duran, and will also notice that De La Hoya wouldn’t even crack the top ten. But if they did find one where Oscar is in the top ten I can assure you you’ll have Chavez, Salvador Sanchez, Marquez and Morales in front of him. De La Hoya was a stud but Chavez was legendary.

PRODIGAL SUN

It would have been funnier if they had Gary Coleman as the guest referee. Manute Bol had the wingspan of a Boeing 747. He’d be able to land his jab from the locker room. And due to Bol’s ridiculous reach William Perry wanted to get inside like he was in front of a refrigerator. He had the vast weight advantage but his trainer didn’t teach him how to throw a punch with leverage. And he charged in like a rhino wanting to mate. What happened to Manute’s helicopter blades’ swipes like when he played for the Bullets and he scrapped with Jawaan Oldham? I’m sure this fight had more buys than Mayweather’s last slap-boxing exhibition.

Non Ignorant Math Team

the only real problems with mike tyson is that he couldnt fight on the inside that well and he couldnt box off the back foot. evander holyfield proved this. everyone thought holyfield would try to box on the outside but he smothered tysons shots and attacked him on the inside.

chavez do you think JCC was the greatest mexican fighter or do you think salvador sanchez was better?

also what do you think of roman gonzalez? i think hes the best pound for pound boxer today and he has an exciting swarmer style.

NON-IGS

PRODIGAL SUN

The Invincible Eagle (Sanchez) would have been better than Chavez if he didn't die so young. He was only 23 (commencement of his prime) and he had already beaten Danny Lopez (twice), Juan Laporte, Ruben Castillo, Wilfredo Gomez and Azumah Nelson. He had better all-around skills than Julio. Superior footwork, better reflexes, better defense and a higher boxing IQ. I know people might disagree with me but the only reason Chavez is the best Mexican of all-time is because The Grim Reaper didn’t allow Salvador to evolve as one of the best boxers of all-time. Forget about being one of the best Latino boxers of all-time, he would have been Top 10 fighter, regardless of race, of all-time.

Man, you just gave me goosebumps by mentioning Roman. I’ve been telling anyone that listens that Chocolatito is the best boxer on the planet. The kid has no weaknesses! I wrote in a Mayweather thread not too long ago that if you want to see a perfect boxer YouTube Gonzalez. He is the epitome of swarmer. But he doesn’t do it recklessly. What doesn’t he have? He has speed, power, accuracy, timing, impeccable spacing and he’s fan-friendly. He’s a smaller version of Golovkin but with a little more skill. I love El Gallito (Juan Francisco Estrada) but if they fight next year I think he gets wrecked.

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by JChavez View Post
    This was blasphemy! That was a way past his prime Chavez. Just to show you how far gone he was, he lost to some cat named Willy Wise a year after losing this fight. Willy Wise? Wasn’t he a character in them 1980’s Heathcliff cartoons?

The Cesar of Boxing was already being harassed by Father Time the first time these two hombres met in 1996. A prime Chavez vs a prime Oscar? Would have been the same outcome of a prime Tyson vs a prime Lenox Lewis - full-blown decimation. Julio makes pollo caldo de la hoya with The Golden Boy. There is no way the old man should have lasted this long with Oscar in this fight and no way he should have been able to land so many punches.

If you really analyze this version of Chavez you will be able to tell that he no longer had the legs, all his power punches were arm punches. And even when he was able to obtain the right range, he didn’t have the reflexes to let his combination go. When you’re a swarming, stalking type of fighter your squared-circle life span will not be the same of a finesse or defensive boxer or even a boxer that likes to fight from a distance. You will age a lot sooner.

Asses can look at all the listings of the greatest Latin fighters of all-time and they will see Chavez right behind Duran, and will also notice that De La Hoya wouldn’t even crack the top ten. But if they did find one where Oscar is in the top ten I can assure you you’ll have Chavez, Salvador Sanchez, Marquez and Morales in front of him. De La Hoya was a stud but Chavez was legendary.
    It sounds like he hung around a little too long like Tyson did or I guess a lot of boxers. Did Chavez ever say why he retired/didn't come out for the next round with Oscar? Was he mentally beat?

PRODIGAL SUN

LMAO off, this video skips from the 2nd round knockdown to the 12 round. They got me, I thought Mayweather actually finished a high-profile fighter.

PRODIGAL SUN

Don’t they all (hang around for too long)? Some do it because of the limelight and adulation – which they can’t live without, while others do it for the money. Chavez did it because he needed the money. And him fighting ten more times after this beatdown proves that, and is the reason he wanted to preserve the little he had and he retired from this bout instead of unwilling having to retire from the sport. I stopped watching Chavez in 1996 after his bout with some stiff named Scott Walker. It was obvious he was done and that he would get hurt by the likes of De La Hoya and Kostya Tszyu – heads that in his prime he’d have zero to no problems with.

PRODIGAL SUN

Mayweather-Marquez fight was a damn joke (Floyd really knows how to cherry-pick them), and a fight I didn’t pay to watch. Marquez was a natural super-featherweight (130 lbs) who had just stepped up a weight class to lightweight (135) for only two fights before stepping up two more weight classes to welterweight (147 lbs.) for the Floyd fight at a catch-weight of 144 lbs., which Floyd didn’t even bother making and had to pay 600k to Juan Manuel. No way should Marquez have been able to go the distance with Floyd at such a disadvantage. After this fight Marquez went back down two weight classes to fight Juan Diaz and Michael Katsidis at 135, which proves that he wasn’t close to being a welter-weight. Floyd should have KO’ed this little guy inside 5 rounds!