Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The "N" word

^^^ Co sign!

Quote Originally Posted by Klawful
    Words and their menaings evolve and Please forgive me for using these terms but "Nigger" was the original word and was derogatory (however you may spell it) and it seems to me that the black community a while back decided to appropriate the word for themselves, changed the spelling and the meaning behind it. It isn't the same word anymore in spelling or meaning or even the intention behind speaking it. If somebody wants to use it as an acronym thats positive then thats their choice, It's turning a bad thing around to good.
    It is not the same word any more.
    if so, then how come a white boy can't call his friends niggaz? and why do crackers still say niggers/niggaz in a derogatory way. i bet you all those crackers are laughing their asses off in heaven right now "lmao....they're actually using the word." what's the point of using the word? The meaning has barely changed.

WHAT'S GOING ON?

I just don't see why people think that nigga and nigger is the same word.

They clearly have two different meanings. Although, I don't use it often because of how some people feel about it.

But, personally...I think a lot of it has to do with the tone and the environment that your in when you do use it.

And, of course...weather or not you're Black.

Quote Originally Posted by MaShPG
    if so, then how come a white boy can't call his friends niggaz? and why do crackers still say niggers/niggaz in a derogatory way.... what's the point of using the word? The meaning has barely changed.

A white boy as such Like me can call his/my friend(s) niggaz but it really doesnt mean anything or mean that you/I would be correct to do so.

Like all words there are correct and incorrect usages.

Such as it is in a greeting between members of the African-American community eg. "Whats up my nigga" ( please excuse the stereotype )

I am in no way saying that it is right that a word be singular to a particular race of people or its decendants.
    But they (the African-Americans) have faced certain trials in trying to come up in a White dominated society.

There can be no hurt in allowing them to have the word because they changed/made it for their own purpose.

And truly anything can be made to sound derogatory/insulting by the inflection behind the word.
    You can be derogatorey towards a person of jewish heratige by the inflection that you put on Jew or a christian, a follower of islam, an Asian.
    Last edited by Klawful; 05-16-2006 at 06:41 PM.

No white person has the right to say Nigga I don't care if it's not mean't in a derogatory way. Black people changed it's spelling and it's meaning to try and take away some of the power that whites had over it and in turn reducing it's impact.
    While I don't condone it's usage even among black people they at least can use it amongst themselves because it remains within their circle.

Quote Originally Posted by TAURO DA GRIM LATIN
    Black people changed it's spelling and it's meaning to try and take away some of the power that whites had over it and in turn reducing it's impact.
    Changing it's spelling and meaning still doesn't take away from the connotations of the word. Take, for example, the Neo-Nazis. They changed the name, and the ideology, but the fact that they're still Nazis brings about some negative connotations. Same with the "N" word. Changing the spelling doesn't get rid of the connotations.
    ]browndogg*]

I agree, but the N word has been lessened to a degree because of it's common use in society, it almost seems to have been split into two and Nigga has become the non offensive term amongst many people.
    I do disagree with your nazi example because they did not change it's spelling, the just added neo in the beginning, Neo meaning post war era.

for Tauro da grim latin

And I didn't say that a white person has the right to say it.
    But it is still a word and I was making a point of the fact that with it being a word that anybody can say it, and believe me they can, it's called reading or listening then speaking, it's really a simple process.

and for Brown dogg
    Although it may be true that you can not take away some of the associations implied by the word "Nigga" it is not "Nigger"
    It is a different word, with similar spelling and pronunciation that is still related to the original like how you are related to you mother but are not her, you are a seperate individual that has its own purpose.

Big Risk 1 of the Realest Big Risk's Avatar

its just a word. quit your bitchin.

I'll Fuck You Up TeknicelStylez's Avatar

I said it once I'm going to say it again. I say nigga often and I will continue to say nigga often.

If you are poor or live in the hood (A REAL bad area) you are a Nigger. We identify eachother as niggas, he a real NIGGA thats a person thats on his grind. Somebody who ain't live in that situation wouldn't understand the use of that term. I've been in the heart of the beast before, I've been in jail before, and I still ain't switch up my vocabulary. I AM A NIGGER, always have been, governments been steppin on mine and my families head since day 1.

Big Pimpin Power Ranger Slappin Hoes Since 1986

Damn, Tek!

I feel you!

Word.

No doubt I'm not saying we should permanently call eachother nigga, but call a cat when you see a cat. If you in that grind, than you a nigger just like everyone else. When you out of that grind, thats when you drop all that.

hmmm, this is an interesting post. When you truly think about the perception of what the word's intended meaning is today it really takes alot out of the struggle our ancestors faced during trying times. They is no doubt in my mind that if my grandma who was 104 at the time of her death (1896 - 2000) would have been surely called a nigger and would probably have had to use separate stalls and other such insults that dark skin people had to face had she not grown up in Puerto Rico. There is also no doubt in my head that my mother whose skin has the same rich tone as my grandmother would have gone through the same thing. (tauro da grim - thats one to grow on) I've seen so many films on how "YOUR" ancestors were treated and to hear the justification of the word and HOW its used today make me smh. Could you imagine what these souls who died for their right are thinking. Please if your going to use the word don't try to justify it. I have to say I am shocked at people even trying to soothe the use of the N word. You know how many people died violently just so they wouldn't be called "Nigger"? THATS JUST WRONG.

To me I think this is a valid campaign. Nigger mean ignorant not a person who grew up poor. Because no matter how poor you are you mind is always capable of being rich. Get out of that paradox.
    Last edited by ilzPotent; 05-17-2006 at 05:46 AM.

CONservative goverMENt

I disagree, you know I use the word frequently.

My family suffered just as much as any of them, Cuban political prisons, racism, the whole nine. I chill with old black people that was alive during those times and they use the word nigga, true story.

A NEW PRINCESS IS BORN BLACKNEFERTITI07's Avatar

AS A BLACK WOMAN, I DON'T USE THE "N" WORD AT ALL. I HATE THAT WORD WIT A TRU PASSION. THAT WORD JUS REALLY IRKS MY NERVES 2 DA FULLEST AND I JUS WISH THAT EVERY PERSON, MALE&FEMALE, BLACK&WHITE, WOULD STOP USING THE "N" WORD. YES THERE ARE FEMALES THAT SAY THAT WORD 2 SO IT'S NOT JUS MALES THAT ARE USING THE WORD 2.

I HEAR THAT WORD CONSTANTLY EVERYDAY WHEN I COME HOME FROM SCHOOL AND WAIT FOR THE BUS. I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I'VE COUNTED ON MY FINGERS BASED ON HEARING THAT WORD LET ALONE HEARING THE "B" WORD 2. I'M A RESPECTED BLACK WOMAN THAT DESERVES TO BE CALLED BY HER GOVERMENT NAME, NOT BY A NAME THAT DEGRADES ME AS A WOMAN. AND WHEN YOU CALL ME THE "B" WORD, YOU'RE NOT ONLY DISRESPECTING ME, YOUR'RE DISRESPECTING THE WOMAN WHO CARRIED YOU FOR NINE MONTHS AND GAVE YOU YOUR FIRST NAME AND THAT IS YOUR MOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLUS YOU'RE DISRESPECTING YOUR SISTER, AUNT, GRANDMOTHER, YOUR FEMALE COUSINS, NIECES, ETC.

THE ONLY WORD THAT I USED WAS THE "B" WORD WHEN I WAS IN THE SEVENTH GRADE AND GOT INTO A FIGHT WIT A GYRL THAT WAS JEALOUS OF ME AND I DIDN'T GET MY BUTT WHUPPED CUZ MY BIRTHDAY WAS COMING UP AND MY FOLKS WERE GIVIN ME A PARTY. I LEARNED THAT I WOULDN'T USE THAT WORD EVER AGAIN.

SO I BELIEVE THAT BOTH THE "N" WORD AND THE "B" WORD SHOULD BE TAKEN OUT THE ENGLISH DICTIONARY PERMANENTLY AND NOT 2 BE USED IN EVERYDAY LINGO OR IN VIDEOS CUZ NOONE IS THE "N" WORD OR THE "B" WORD.

AND I DON'T WANT MY CHILDREN 2 BE CALLED THOSE NAMES CUZ THEY ARE VERY VILE AND FOUL!!!!!!!
    Last edited by BLACKNEFERTITI07; 05-17-2006 at 08:00 AM.