Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tennis

I played tennis on my high school team, and also for fun a lot when I was younger. I haven't played for years, but I've been meaning to. I remember that my dad all of a sudden started getting 'tennis elbow' when I improved more, and he said he couldn't play anymore. lol I didn't hit the ball the hardest, but I was real accurate with my shots. I had a lob shot that I was known for on my team too. I would hit some type of shot high into the back court that would bounce too high for some of my opponents to get to. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Prolifical ENG View Post
    One of the reasons why I think Nadal withdrew was because of his draw. 2 unseeded guys in the early rounds could have given him a hard time and cause him to lose some sets. That would be a really rough 2 weeks if he made it far. I think Clement in the first round would taken a set and Hewet could have taken 1-2 and by the looks of it, Hewitt could have beaten him.

For the womens I dont mind watching, the game is different altogether. I dont mind the grunting but that shrieking is a little too much.

Tomorrow (Monday) is a big day. I ahve to get up early and watch Rodger play on center court but since I will be watching ESPN they will probably show Venus more on court 1 since its an American playing.

However the third match it is Murray on center court and Roddick on court 1 and I want to watch mostly Roddick's game so I hope ESPN pulls the American card there....Hewitt is also playing at the same time on court 2.
    Yeah it's getting ridiculous with all the screaming in the girl's game now. So many of them are doing it, and at an absurd level too. Sharapova is the worst. That shit is just off the charts.

Roddick's been playing well. I'm really hoping him and Hewitt will win today, and face off in the quarter's. That'd be great to see, even though I'm pretty sure Roddick would win. Haven't really seen Murray this year. His matches have been on at like 3am over here. Pretty sure I'll be seeing him in at least the semis though.

I'm shit at tennis. I love having a hit when I can though. Preferably with beer. I had a good hit with my brothers recently. Problem was that they're both pretty good and I suck. Good times nonetheless.

Raw-dick and Hewitt was a good match. I dont know about him beating Murray but he has a good chance the way he doesnt try to outpower his opponents these days.

Its funny seeing that #1 seed on the womens side get crushed by venus...another sister final.

I hope Nestor (only Canadian left) and his partner can beat the Bryan brothers this time.

Suga Duga

Default King Back

the greatest of all time strikes again.

and my man federer did it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was an excellent match. I thought Raw-dick was going to do it at the end, he looked impossible to break his serve

I agree with you. That was best match.

i wanted Roddick to win, he played well, he deserved to win. but he lost the game in the 2nd set when he had 4 set points and blew it. from then on it was would be too difficult for him, even if Federer didnt look like he had a chance of breaking Roddick's serve.

i hope Roddick can build on this though and be competitive again in the upcoming tournaments.

Fucken devastating. I was rooting for Roddick so badly. The match was his for the taking in the 2nd set tie breaker. I said to myself when he served at 6-5 in the tie breaker, that if he didn't win that point it was over, and sadly I was correct. I was pleased and surprised that he didn't let it completely ruin him though, and ended up winning the 4th and giving himself every chance to take it in the 5th.

It's a real shame. For Roger it's just another of his 15 slams, but for Roddick it will be the closest he ever gets to winning Wimbledon.

Roger is arguably the greatest of all time, but in the last few years he has won a few really important matches only because his opponents got scared of beating him when they got into a winning position...every slam this year actually. Berdych at the Aussie. Haas at the French. And now Roddick at Wimbledon. I guess probably all great champions have gotten through a few close shaves in that manner though.

Quote Originally Posted by Prolifical ENG View Post
    Its funny seeing that #1 seed on the womens side get crushed by venus...another sister final.
    It's ridiculous that the Williams sisters weren't seeded 1 and 2, regardless of ranking.

John W. Henry

Roddick deserved to win - obviously.

the FED is the MAN.

the winner deserved to win. roddick had numerous chances to close that thing out and he didnt. no one to blame but himself....and federer.

those who hate on the FED better pray for nadal to get healthy and stay healthy cuz he's the only reason the FED wasnt playing for his 20th grand slam yesterday.
    Christianity = White Supremacy

It was great match, except at the end cause Roddick was only using his service, thats always boring. But I'm really glad Fed won Wimbledon again. He deserved to. But still, maybe it wouldn't have gone that way if Nadal had been there.

R.I.P. to Mathieu Montcourt.

Serena Williams goes crazy? lol

"I'm going to shove this ball down your f------ throat".

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Rain gave way to bedlam tonight at the U.S. Open.

Defending champion Serena Williams was charged with a point penalty on match point after yelling at a line judge for a calling a foot fault on her previous serve. The ruling gave Kim Clijsters a 6-4, 7-5 victory in their semifinal match, which had been delayed 32 hours because of rain.

After the line judge called the foot fault with Serena serving at 5-6, 15-30 in the second set, the youngest Williams sister intimidatingly stared her down before screaming at the official with a jabbed finger. After a few seconds, Serena turned back around to serve, thought better of it and resumed the badgering. The chair umpire then called over the line judge to ask what Serena had said, rules officials were summoned, a brief summit occurred at the net and it was determined that Serena would be assessed a point penalty for a conduct violation. The point gave Clijsters the match.

The initial foot fault that began the fireworks was a terrible call. It was unconscionable. It cannot be made at the end of any match, let alone in the semifinals of the U.S. Open. This isn't because a foot fault is a ridiculous call at that juncture (even though it is). It's because it wasn't a foot fault. The replays show that Serena's foot was behind the line when she served. You could make the argument that it was close but not close enough to make the call.

That being said, that's no excuse for Serena to berate an official. Wrong as the official may have been, there's a line that to be crossed and Serena did it pretty early on in her diatribe by saying, "I'm going to shove this ball down your f------ throat".

It got worse from there. There were multiple profanities, more threats and a lot of pointing. I mean, even John McEnroe said it was a bit much.

The explosive end is sure to obscure the fact that Serena probably would have lost the match without the foot fault. Clijsters was playing great and Serena couldn't win a point on her second serve. The end was coming, Serena's outburst merely hastened its arrival. Maybe that was the point.

-sports.yahoo.com