Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: Rare Photos of Slaves of Slaveships?

Anyone have the link to the original article?

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-tang Fan View Post
    Also, in the situation of shipwrecks, the slaves would be in shackles, but the crew of the ship wouldn't bother to release them from the shackles, so they could even fend for themselves. They would die a slow, horrible, misrable death with no water or food. Once they had passed away, their bodies would be leaft to rot in the shackles, and the crew of the ship wouldn't even consider them as people
    I realise this is an old post but i cant be bothered posting a new thread about this, anyways i recently saw this documentary about a British artist called Turner (cant remember the rest of his name) and he had painted a painting a long time ago of one really horribe incident.
    There was this captain who noticed some of the slaves dying of disease on his ship and he was told that he was not 'insured' for slaves dying like this but only insured if slaves died at sea.
    So what he did was pick which slaves he would have thrown overboard and become slaves 'lost at sea'.
    Though the British public were outraged by this and this lead to slavery being banned in the United Kingdom (though slavery thrived in the US. - Cant remember the whole story and this is just what i saw in the documentary.

Anyways i was going to make a thread about this but i aint really good with words, thought this was interesting though.

Ah this was the guys name 'Joseph Mallord William Turner' heres the painting (cant really see it that well cause of the size but you should be able to see peoples hands in the water with shackles on):
    (edit) ok maybe you can it got bigger when i posted it lol