Thread: // For you Bonds fans... //

// Never Defeated // born invincible's Avatar

Default // For you Bonds fans... //

Barry "Junk" Bonds fans are nearing a special moment for themselves and most importantly, Barry. One Bonds fan seemed to take delight in the idea that Barry would eclipse Babe's legend. As pathetic as that sentiment seemed, it got me thinking. After all is said and done, what did Bonds really accomplish? Does he deserve the acclaim that Ruth achieved? How does Bonds' performance really stack up to the Bambino? So I ran some numbers.

Have you seen this man? Missing since 1993.

In 20 seasons, Barry Bonds is a career 300 hitter. He averages 35.4 home runs per season and 92.65 RBI's (based on 136 games played per season average) and 7.7% of his AB's produced a HR. His on base % is .4389 and slugging % is .62165. Very respectable numbers, to say the least. This is all per Baseball Reference.com.
    Babe played 22 seasons, but 5 were as a Pitcher, so I redacted them. Babe's numbers for 17 seasons as an everyday player: 41 HR's and 124 RBI's per (132 game average) season, .353 BA, .487 on base %, .663 Slugging %. 11.1% of his AB's produced a HR. Again, all per baseball reference.com.
    Please note that these stats only take Bonds up to Homer #708, but that it's a little late in the game to change the landscape very much for Barry, regardless of what he does from here on in.

In simple terms, over their everyday playing careers, Babe is a 13% better HR hitter, a 26% better RBI man, a 15% better hitter for average, 10% better at getting on base and a 6.3% better average slugger. Bonds did embarass him for stolen bases though, 20 SB's per season to 7 for the Bam. But can you believe that Babe attempted 355 steals in 17 seasons to Bonds 396 in 20 seasons? Babe actually ran 20.88 times per season to Bonds 20.18. Talk about a glutton for hot dogs and punishment.

So the facts are what they are. Bonds is inferior to the Babe in every hitting category.

Now, just for kicks, I asked myself, what if both players had 20 seasons to ply their hitting trade. The record everyone is watching changes. Babe's home run total jumps to 817. (yes, I subtracted the homers from his first five seasons as a pitcher, then added 3 seasons at 41 HR's per season).

But wait, there's more. What if I created an imaginary scenario where Babe's trainer gives him some supplements and flaxseed oil that create tremendous improvements for the latter 65% of his career. Since I only had one example of a player who had such a miraculous career changing event, I applied these changes:

Bonds BA in Pitt: .274, his BA in SF .315 a 15% jump.

Bonds HR's/SEA. in Pitt, 25, In SF 41, a 64% increase.

Bonds RBI/SEA in Pitt 79, in SF 100, a 26% boost.

Bonds OBA In Pitt, .379, In SF .471, a 24% leap.

Bonds Slugging % in Pitt, .504, in SF.685, a 28% lift.

Here's what it looks like for Babe if I apply those numbers to the last 13 seasons of a 20 year, full time career. I'll just focus on the biggest items:

Babe finishes with 968 HR's to Bonds 708 averaging 48 round trips per season to

Bonds 35 (37% more HR's) and knocks in an average of 150 RBI's per season (even breaking 200 ribbies 3 times) to Bonds' 92, a whopping 63% increase. I won't even discuss slugging % because then it's just humiliating.

Give Ruth the same 20-year, full-time career and Bonds has a long way to go to creep close to the Babe . It's a journey he wouldn't make at his age and current health. Giving Ruth the same devices (injections, oils and creams), It quickly becomes a laugher. Bonds would have to play 30 years to "pass" the Babe. Based on the obvious effects of steriod abuse Bonds is already showing, he'll be getting his knee replaced in ten years, not swinging a bat.

So let's try to be clear about this once and for all. Bonds may have more HR's when it's all said and done, and that's okay. But when you break down a meaningful comparison between the two hitters, Bonds is better at one thing, base stealing. Ruth crushes Bonds like he crushed baseballs.

So there you have it, folks. It isn't close (even when Bonds gets all the advantages of cheating), but if Ruth had been a fraud too, then it's a stone runanway. Barry isn't passing the Babe, the two aren't linked in lore. The stink of Bonds' career is more closely tied to passing gas.

by: ChristopherRoss

Obviously Babe Ruth is better than Barry Bonds