Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The 'We are Just Animals' Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by My First Timbs
    in order to seperate ourselves we must 1st have a justifiable reason to do so (ie an objective nomenclature based charateristic) that distinguishes us from other "animals"... asof yet there are none.
    what about this discussion? is that an 'objective nomenclature based characteristic'? or are porcupines currently discussing the same dilemma on msn messenger?
    all the points have been made

Cream of the Corp

Quote Originally Posted by Legato
    seperating monkeys from animals because of conciosness or whatever doesnt make a monkey not an animal.
    just because human folk may have better or sharper thought processers than other aminals doesnt make us any less a aminal.
    its all ooooww
    I never said humans are not animals
    I never said monkeys are not animals
    I just refuse to reduce myself to a monkey

The point was, if we are monkeys, how come we are not elephants?
    Elephants are intelligent, they do not have to carry non-food objects around in their mouths.
    My post really says that the movies ruins its own argument before it even begins.

I understand the scientific classification of the biological kingdoms.
    So I understand animal is not intended to mean savage uncivilized beast that does not use toilet paper.

We are animals, but we are the "greatest" of animals.
    Anyone that disputes that is unintelligent because what makes us the greatest animals is are superior mental capacity.

Originally Posted by My First Timbs
    lmao

that makes no sense what so ever

if all mafia hitmen are italian = all italians are mafia hitmen

hahahahahahah
    Originally Posted by Os3y3ris
    Learn to think properly. Thats not a dis. Your thought process really is off.
    Geez guys....I already said it was wack. See below. But, go ahead run it to the ground, I know you can't resist....lol

Originally Posted by Aqueous Moon
    lmao...I tried, but I really hate the animal/human analogy. And I didn't want to just say that, so i thought I'd get creative wit it.
    It was wack. lol
    Now.....there is some truth to my crude analogy.

Originally Posted by Aqueous Moon
    I don't think we should get carried away with this humans are animals stuff.

If humans = animals, then animals = humans.

No? Then we ain't animals.
    That being this: The fundamental differences being humans and animals allows us to distinguish ourselves as superior beings.

It's an outdated and incomplete statement, that humans are animals. Because, no we really are not animals.

Humans should only be equated with animals when they behave savage like animals. Otherwise, something big gets lost in the translation.

Some would call that the ego....but, isn't it really just human nature?

Veteran Member

go ahead

im listening
    I suck at bio, so I simply grabbed a dictionary: Any of various photosynthetic, eukaryotic, multicellular organisms of the kingdom Plantae characteristically producing embryos, containing chloroplasts, having cellulose cell walls, and lacking the power of locomotion.
    And what shall we toast?

Madness! Combustion! Liberty and the end of all law! The invisible international! The toast is anarchy!

Quote Originally Posted by Os3y3ris
    I suck at bio, so I simply grabbed a dictionary: Any of various photosynthetic, eukaryotic, multicellular organisms of the kingdom Plantae characteristically producing embryos, containing chloroplasts, having cellulose cell walls, and lacking the power of locomotion.
    come on, O

from an (un)common sense perspective

humans do all the same things, but use a different technique

life is life

Quote Originally Posted by june181972
    I never said humans are not animals
    I never said monkeys are not animals
    I just refuse to reduce myself to a monkey

The point was, if we are monkeys, how come we are not elephants?
    Elephants are intelligent, they do not have to carry non-food objects around in their mouths.
    My post really says that the movies ruins its own argument before it even begins.

I understand the scientific classification of the biological kingdoms.
    So I understand animal is not intended to mean savage uncivilized beast that does not use toilet paper.

We are animals, but we are the "greatest" of animals.
    Anyone that disputes that is unintelligent because what makes us the greatest animals is are superior mental capacity.
    humans are not merely monkeys.. no scientific classification has ever stated that.. we are simply related to monkeys.. we are NOT monkeys.

humans are not elephants because elephants altho mammal do not fit the classification. they dont have increased brain size coupled with binocular vision coupled with opposable thumbs coupled with an adequate vertical pelvis among many other things...

intelligence is the last factor on the list because ultimately intelligence is pseudo subjective and is based on a more important factor (ie a suitable central nervous system that can allow it)

dont get hung up on "intelligence" .

in addition, how does one objectively determine that humans are the "greatest" of animals? thats a subjective assertion immediately biased from human ego
    Last edited by My First Timbs; 07-16-2006 at 04:19 PM.

Available Worldwide via these book sellers:
    Barnes and Noble Bookfinder.com
    Amazon.com Trafford Publishing Target

Veteran Member

humans do all the same things, but use a different technique
    As plants? No.
    And what shall we toast?

Madness! Combustion! Liberty and the end of all law! The invisible international! The toast is anarchy!

even tho plants accomplish it differently, humans (as do other vertebrate lifeforms) all have a comparable equivalent processes to accomplish energy acquisition and waste disposal and regulation of growth and reproduction

we use basically membrane bound organelles such as mitochondria, while plants use carbon fixation and a kreb cycle

but ultimately all life is amazingly similar.. that sbecause we all stem from an ancient relative

Available Worldwide via these book sellers:
    Barnes and Noble Bookfinder.com
    Amazon.com Trafford Publishing Target

even tho plants accomplish it differently, humans (as do other vertebrate lifeforms) all have a comparable equivalent processes to accomplish energy acquisition and waste disposal and regulation of growth and reproduction

we use basically membrane bound organelles such as mitochondria, while plants use carbon fixation and a kreb cycle

but ultimately all life is amazingly similar.. that sbecause we all stem from an ancient relative
    thats what im saying

humans have the bodies of animals, and animals carry out the same functions as plants

but animals do not have this intelligence that speaks phonetic words and creates advertising campaigns and puts the fork on the left side of the plate

Cream of the Corp

humans are not merely monkeys.. no scientific classification has ever stated that.. we are simply related to monkeys.. we are NOT monkeys.

humans are not elephants because elephants altho mammal do not fit the classification. they dont have increased brain size coupled with binocular vision coupled with opposable thumbs coupled with an adequate vertical pelvis among many other things...

intelligence is the last factor on the list because ultimately intelligence is pseudo subjective and is based on a more important factor (ie a suitable central nervous system that can allow it)

dont get hung up on "intelligence" .

in addition, how does one objectively determine that humans are the "greatest" of animals? thats a subjective assertion immediately biased from human ego
    I thought it was obvious from the post that I am stating that though related, humans are NOT monkeys.

How can you broker between humans and elephants by using "increased brain size" as a factor
    And then say "don't get hung up on intelligence"?

What does psuedo subjective mean?
    Doesn't that imply some level of objectivity?

Does OUR nervous system "allow" for intelligence?

If my assertion is biased from HUMAN ego,
    compare the human ego to another animal's ego.

Does a non-human animal's ego go any further than mating, territory, and self preservation?
    Last edited by june181972; 07-16-2006 at 08:15 PM.

Veteran Member

Come on man. If you make it that vauge, yeh, we're the same. However, its impossible for me to clone myself. I have defined shape. I need to kill to eat. I THINK.
    And what shall we toast?

Quote Originally Posted by Os3y3ris
    yeh, we're the same
    all you have to say, bro

Quote Originally Posted by june181972
    I thought it was obvious from the post that I am stating that though related, humans are NOT monkeys.

How can you broker between humans and elephants by using "increased brain size" as a factor
    And then say "don't get hung up on intelligence"?

What does psuedo subjective mean?
    Doesn't that imply some level of objectivity?

Does OUR nervous system "allow" for intelligence?

If my assertion is biased from HUMAN ego,
    compare the human ego to an another animal's ego.

Does a non-human animal's ego go any further than mating, territory, and self preservation?
    we use words

-end of story-

I rather we compare humans to some cool animal like the Lion, King of the Jungle.

Or...what about Owls? Aren't they supposed to be wise and dignified?

Some humans are snakes, dogs, pigs, tho.

This can go on...
    Last edited by Aqueous Moon; 07-16-2006 at 08:57 PM.

metaphors are fun to use