81 27.55%
  • mediocre

27 9.18%
  • wack

15 5.10%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Masta Killa - Made In Brooklyn

Then and now:
    Good beat but very amateurish and energicless performances by those 3 kids,which is normal since they're kids... even though it's a boring track...
    2.5/5

E N Y House:
    Reused and reworked beat by Doom...It comes nice yet it lacks some energy. Masta's verses stop abruptly, which gives the song a very unfinished feeling and makes it unpleasant to listen, since there's no structure or whatever...
    2.5/5
    Brooklyn King:
    This breakbeat instrumental could have worked with energetic emceeing on it... but Masta comes very boring and the on the chorus, he sounds like he's falling asleep... once again the song structure is absent, verses stopping strangly etc... boring song
    2.75/5

It Is What It Is:
    First dope song. Simple yet powerful beat (i love those drums) and Rae & Ghost bring some life to the song. Even Masta Killa is awake on this one.
    4.5/5

Nehanda & Cream:
    First this long, boring, useless and cliché skit... the beat is good,and Killa comes nice on it. The chorus is once again kinda lazy though... not a bad song anyway...
    3.5/5

Iron God Chamber:
    Beat is kinda good, on some uptempo wu-vibe... kinda irritating after a while but the wu fellows shine on it, especially RZA and Method Man, they bring energy to the mix.
    4.5/5

Pass The Bone Remix:
    Weak use of the classic Al Green track. I guess they were thinking sampling Hi-Records songs was enough to make a wu banger.
    Song sounds once again unfinished, it's not flowing right, chorus is weak... i'm really surprised about the amateurish feel this album got so far... i'm wondering if it's the final product...
    2/5

Older Gods pt2:
    WTF? this is one of the most boring and irritating track i heard in a long time... first those Popa Wu dialogues are boring jibberish, it sounds like 2 drunk homeless dudes... then this horrible beat... i remember Madlib used that sample 100000000x better, i think it was on the Madvillain album (i'm not sure... They must have sequenced this song in 30 seconds, it's so poorly done... those short verses, those long stupid dialogues...
    0.5/5

let's Get Into Something:
    It sounds like an amateurish Ghostface single. The singing is atrocious and way too long, it takes like forever before Masta comes and drop a boring "pretty skintone female" verse... Is this seriously the retail version of this album??
    1/5

Street Corner:
    Let's forget that this beat is reused... it's actually a very dope wu-song. Dope slow wu beat by Bronze, nothing groundbreaking but that vintage wu sound we love... Deck is perfect on the beat, same with Gza. One of the best tracks on the album, plus it sounds like a real song, not a demo like too many over tracks...
    4.5/5

Ringing Bells:
    Dope beat by Bronze, Masta's nice on it too. One of the few highlights of the album.
    4/5

East Mcs:
    First, Masta please, stop trying to sing over the beat, it's horrible. Beat is good, even though it's getting boring after a while... emcees are good on it... good song
    3.5/5

Lovely Lady:
    It takes once again forever before it starts and then... in fact i don't know a lot about raggae so i can't judge this song... but it feels so much out of place...
    no rating.

So i really wonder if it's the final retail, since most of the songs sound like demos, poorly arranged etc... If it's the final version, there's a big big problem... how can they release something so underachieved?

It's miles away from No Said Date (which was a really dope wu release). Deck's Resident Patient shits on this album and it's just a mixtape... I though Bronze album was boring, but it almost sounds like a Busta Rhymes album compared to Made In Broolyn...
    3/5

penalty boxed user

Quote Originally Posted by FasterBlade
    he has 6 true solo tracks on here, not counting the two weird songs with all the singing. thats about what he had on NSD, the posse cuts are fantastic. couple people dislike it then it snowballs, its a solid 7.5-8/10 album. couple classic cuts on here, its a letdown compared to NSD yes but its a solid followup. better than Deck and Uey's 2nd albums thats for damn sure
    the movement is a classic album most people i know like it more than uncontrolled substance, i couldn't say they are both good inspectah deck is a great mc i havn't heard his new mixtape yet but i already know it's going to be good.

i really think the album would just be so much better if a few things were changed like MK having an upbeat point in Brooklyn King would be nice it gets boring but still is a descent song i like it for what it is. Then drop Lovely Lady and Lets Get into Something they both seem out of place. And a little less singing. Thats the only critique i can give it.

Other wise the rest of the album is banging i like the kung fu intros and the beats really fit MK's style. Every song other than the ones i mentioned is great even U-God spits a great verse longer 15 sec so u know every thing is going right. Its a solid second album and isnt as bad as some ppl say it is. He set a high bar with No Said Date but he IMO almost cleared it.

But we cant really give the album a good review since we dont even have the finished album. For all we know what we have heard might not even be the full album.
    "When all your money is spent an you still hangin' on to fifty cent, get it, you underground" -KRS-ONE

Quote Originally Posted by lips
    my lil local record store always get shit early and there was mad young heads in there scoopin' up masta killa's joint. lil 12 year old kid coppin' 2 copies of made in brooklyn. you gotta love that shit.
    Start'em young just like smokes
    "When all your money is spent an you still hangin' on to fifty cent, get it, you underground" -KRS-ONE

Album has its moments. Not up there with NSD but still shits on 90% of crap comin out these days.

i thought premo would produce a track or two??
    Peace

yeah, early listening, but from looking at simply page 1, the albums much better than posts would suggest there.. early, my fav. beat's gotta be 'ringing bells'.. Bronze really came with it..

pi-pol.. i gotta say reading your review, i think you being way to hard on many songs.. pass the bone remix especially

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Angel
    1. Then & Now - 4/5: very dope beat, one of the best on this album, but wasted for some Wu kids...
    lol, Leo i was thinking alot the same thing, hopefully they can make a remix with the beat cause it's too solid not to use..

i am hoping that there will be reason for a "Masta Killa - Made In Brooklyn retail" thread though when it's released
    Last edited by restless_438; 08-02-2006 at 07:54 AM.

yo this shit is fire....Big ups to Masta KILLa

Veteran Member

this disk is hot. not pure fire/classic/whatev, but its straight as hell for sure

i havent heard much of the album, but iron god chamber is the best wu track in a long time. meth and MK destroy that song!

the album was what i expected, average. the sophmore slump, but it's still a good record. nothing horrible save Lovely Lady. Other than that i bang out to it but it's No Said Date.

over all i like it

vinyl digger

Quote Originally Posted by pi-pol
    Older Gods pt2:
    WTF? this is one of the most boring and irritating track i heard in a long time... first those Popa Wu dialogues are boring jibberish, it sounds like 2 drunk homeless dudes... then this horrible beat... i remember Madlib used that sample 100000000x better, i think it was on the Madvillain album (i'm not sure... They must have sequenced this song in 30 seconds, it's so poorly done... those short verses, those long stupid dialogues...
    0.5/5

It's miles away from No Said Date (which was a really dope wu release). Deck's Resident Patient shits on this album and it's just a mixtape... I though Bronze album was boring, but it almost sounds like a Busta Rhymes album compared to Made In Broolyn...
    3/5
    hmmm ... hard post....dayum i will heard "Older Gods pt2" ...the sample must be genuinly bad...but the date is with us only the 25.08.2006

germany u know

MOOORE Interviews ---> www.WU-FAMNATIC.COM

Audio System/Diamond ShaolinDarts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poetic Wun
    the album was what i expected, average.
    In all honest thats what I am expecting too. Not heard it yet and would love to be proven wrong but the whole vibe in the follow up to this album was different and tbh its the fast beats that carried NSD along with very strong production and it doesn't sound like that will be there this time around.
    That's why we do the do, just know who is who, acknowledge me all day, and understand Wu is Wu - Chef Raekwon

I'm hood ornaments, junkies win awards in my tournaments - Chef Raekwon

i just snipped through all the tracks on the this album and it sounds good enough for me to go get it. i'll have a better opinion on it when i hear it entirely.
    Christianity = White Supremacy