• average

81 27.55%
  • mediocre

27 9.18%
  • wack

15 5.10%
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Masta Killa - Made In Brooklyn

1. Then and Now - 5/5 GZA's Son is the TRUTH all jokes aside. Honestly I look foward to hearing this track everytime I pop the album. One more thing they sound better than just about everybody out there these day.

2. E.N.Y House - 5/5 Fuck that DOOM and Masta (CLASSIC)

3. Brooklyn King - 4/5 Some catchy shit/

4. It's What It Is - 5/5 AMAZING track. These guys are 3 for 3... Glaciers of Ice, D.T.D and now It's What It Is.

5. Nehanda & Cream - 4/5

6. Iron God Chamber - 4.5/5 Sounds just a little out of place, but is nice to hear them together again. (RZA KILLS THIS)

7. Pass the Bone Remix - 4.5/5

8. Older Gods part. 2 - 4/5

9. Let's Get Into Something - 3.5/5 UMMMM I dont know about this one.

10. Street Corners - 5/5 Classic... Deck's new flow takes time to get used to.

11. Ringing Bells - 5/5

12. East M.C.'s - 5/5 Killa Sin needs to drop a solo album A.S.A.P

13. Lovely Lady - 4/5 I like it.
    Last edited by 12weLvE; 08-07-2006 at 07:50 PM.

1. Then and Now - Beautiful beat, the kind of shit I expect to hear listening to a Wu album, I'm very irritated that they wasted it on the kids, no disrespect, but no ones buying Masta Killa's album to listen to pre-teens. GZA's son sounds good, he already has an authoratative presence on the mic, the other kids...eh. 3/5 (because of the production)

2. E.N.Y House - Another ill beat, sounds like the arrival of a king from another planet or something...don't think this suits Masta's style, he's real drowsy here, and the lyrical construction of the song is mad awkward. 3/5

3. Brooklyn King - I like breakbeats, so this beat is smooth to me, lyrics are whatever, chorus is cheesy but kind of catchy. 3/5 Average, whatever track

4. It's What It Is - Ill beat, but very simple, minimalist production, gets kind of monotonous after awhile, but they all kill it. Reminds me of an 80s cartoon or something 4/5

5. Nehanda & Cream - Stupid intro, should've just made it a skit so I could skip, but this is a lovely beat, good verses, Masta has proven he can suceed with these type of tracks. One of the highlights for me. 4/5

6. Iron God Chamber - Beat is annoying as fuck to me, very amateurish and very repeptitive. Good verses and a high energy feel to me, just hate the generic faux-rza style beat. 3/5

7. Pass the Bone Remix - Another smooth beat, Pete Rock flipped the Al Green sample similarly on the beggining of his Surviving Elements album. Kind of pointless to remake this track, but it's pretty good, Masta paying homage to his crew...the singing hook fucks up the whole song for me though. I like soul music and if they had better vocals it may have worked. 3.5/5

8. Older Gods part. 2 - Horrible beat, very disappointing from Pete Rock, one of my favorite hiphop producers, this shit is annoying and repetitive. It's a shame because this is one of the best lyrical performances on the album, Masta repping culture on this, but the beat is just annoying and awful. 2/5

9. Let's Get Into Something - Crap singing, decent beat, seems redundant with Nehanda and Cream on the album. Next. 2/5

10. Street Corners - Loved this beat the first time I heard it, very irritating that they reused it, but the song itself is great, one of the best on the album, I just don't like that they reused the beat, including the intro, and Bronze didn't even know about it. First time I've heard Deck flow this awkwardly though. GZA of course has the best verse. 3/5

11. Ringing Bells - Everyone's heard this, good beat (kind of tru master-ish), nice lyrics. One of the better songs, even though it's not even great, this should be a filler track. 4/5

12. East M.C.'s - Good beat, Masta Killa and Sin sound good on this, but the other Mcs are garbage and should've been left on the track. 3/5

13. Lovely Lady - I like reggae so I enjoyed this track, even though it sounds mad out of place on here, but it has a good vibe to it, Masta showing some versatility, he sounds good on these type of tracks, and reggae vocalists compliment his style. 4/5

Very inconsistant, no theme or coherent thread running through the album from either a lyrical or production standpoint, and the quality is also very inconsistant. This is mad disappointing, and seems like a step back from No Said Date. This had somewhat similar ingredients and everything that would seem to make a good album, but nothing gelled. And I still can't believe Pete made that beat for Older Gods, or more importantly, that Masta would pick that beat. This is Soul Brother! I know he had better tracks in his stash than that. It's mind boggling to me. I guess I would give it a 3/5 overall, because it is painfully average.

Overall: Average

Just got this album today and Iam at Iron God Chamber. So far Iam not disappointed at all. It usually takes a few listens to get into it but so far Iam loving it. When I finish the album I update my review. Oh yeah Nehanda & Cream is sick.

for the people who heard both the advance and the retail, is there any difference with the retail album? (beats changed, songs restructured, verse/chrouses added/removed, etc)

decent album nothing special like no said date though, i think i expected to much after that.

Fearless Vampire Killer UNCLE RUCKUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Angel View Post
    Yeah, I know that some cat named Victorious appears on this track (plus some other, unknown to me). Can you provide me some info about him? Is he Wu affiliated or something?
    Yeah;
    Victorious Born in Brooklyn East NewYork.NY Influenced by his Father who was in a singing group and also gave Lilo Thomas singing Lesson in his Home .He watch his Father and listen to him play lots of music Oldie But goodies,R&B etc. He Learn to love all types of music it wasn,t to his father introduce him to Dj Jasey Jase which was his first Dj he learn the craft of mceeing and Djaying running around doing shows he picked up fast.Victorious was then introduced to True Master who produce several tracks for the Wu tang True Master Heard a couple of bars and right away took him on as a artist for his Persia Legacy imprint.Victorious started to record right away he also brought a few mc,s along with him Kippy aka Berzerk,Wise Ruler,Knowledge B-Born and thats when they form the group I.C.U Ill cipher Unit. As time went on the group started to brake apart starting with kippy do to religous reasons Wise Ruler,KB-Born continued recording with True Master.After several songs being shop deals turn down the grind got harder and life in general everyone drifted off.Victorious continued to record his solo career with True Master he also dabbled into production he produced a promo for Hot97 which featured Thirstin Howl The 111, Thirstin then use the track for a song called my freestlye. After sometime victorious got caught up in the street life, he then took some time out to get focus.Now back better then ever with a knew insight on life and music He formed Grown Man Music Teamed up with Whyz Ruler who produces Tracks for him and is Managed by Shock Holladay of Harsh Reality

from his myspace

vinyl digger

Quote Originally Posted by InspectahChek View Post
    1. Then and Now - 5/5 GZA's Son is the TRUTH all jokes aside. Honestly I look foward to hearing this track everytime I pop the album. One more thing they sound better than just about everybody out there these day.

2. E.N.Y House - 5/5 Fuck that DOOM and Masta (CLASSIC)

3. Brooklyn King - 4/5 Some catchy shit/

4. It's What It Is - 5/5 AMAZING track. These guys are 3 for 3... Glaciers of Ice, D.T.D and now It's What It Is.

5. Nehanda & Cream - 4/5

6. Iron God Chamber - 4.5/5 Sounds just a little out of place, but is nice to hear them together again. (RZA KILLS THIS)

7. Pass the Bone Remix - 4.5/5

8. Older Gods part. 2 - 4/5

9. Let's Get Into Something - 3.5/5 UMMMM I dont know about this one.

10. Street Corners - 5/5 Classic... Deck's new flow takes time to get used to.

11. Ringing Bells - 5/5

12. East M.C.'s - 5/5 Killa Sin needs to drop a solo album A.S.A.P

13. Lovely Lady - 4/5 I like it.
    WOW.....a lot of 5 pointz, man

MOOORE Interviews ---> www.WU-FAMNATIC.COM

And in the end..? Kriszy Substance's Avatar

Just got the album this morning...only 3 copies there, how sad, but I guess Fairbanks, Alaska is no hip hop mecca. Anyway, I will put up a full review in the next day or so but I gotta say that starting the album off with the kids was not a good idea. I think it is cool that they are obviously proud of the kids but I just dont feel it. I was loving getting to hear Masta's voice though and I am pissed that I have to be here at work instead of driving around in my car listening to the rest of the album. The inside graphic where the CD lays is pretty cool though. Review to come asap. It will be hard for him to beat NSD though I think. Much love and thanks to Masta Killa for dropping another album.

FRESH FISH

Then and Now: A real 5/5 beat to bad they gave it to the young ones this beat should have used by Masta, Rae and Ghost they flow good together.

E.N.Y House: 4/5: Slow paced song suits Masta's style.

Brooklyn King: 3/5 Two slow paced songs with the latter having a real lazy hook is a little to much for me.

It is What It Is: 4.5/5 Love the beat, love the verses def. one of the best songs on the album. Like i said earlier MK, Rae and Ghost compensate each other nice.

Nahanda And Cream: 3.5/5 Skit is way to long but the it explains the track i like it Masta again uses his laidback flow and his verse concerns the lady's in the skit.

Iron God Chamber: 4.8/5 The official MiB track i listened to twice in a row, love the beat. U-God still got the mad skill same goes for RZA and Meth. Masta comes real nice he brings energy and heat in his verse. Very nicely done.

Pass the Bone Remix: 3.5/5 I like it nothing special though. The beat is nice, the sample is used nicely plus Masta's flow really suits the very slow like beat, the sung hook also contributes to the song.

Older Gods pt. 2: 2/5 Come on Pete what is this garbage? The beat can be really nice if the loop wasn't so lou and if he didn't forget to add the damn sample that he problably had on his mind. Masta is talking not rapping. And Poppa Wu should get his 20 seconds at the end of an track not during a track. It's terrible doesn't deserve its name.

Lets get into Something: 3.3/5 The first half of the track is sung by someone i don;t know, i like it! that boy can sing but is should only be a hook not be half the track. Masta's sounds incredible on this beat, its like they're one he rides it perfectly.

Street Corners: 3.5/5 Deck's voice changed again! But for the better i like his flow and how he rides the slow beat Deck energy isn't so big on this track but thats because its a lazy track so obviously Masta and especially GZA sounds great on it but same goes for Deck.

Ringing Bells: 3.5/5 Another slow Masta track but the beat makes it sound very different than other slow Masta tracks on this album. I like it. GZA should have also been on this track.

Easy MC's: 3.6/5 Masta shouldn't sing but he rides the beat yet again like a champion i'm going to admit Masta's flow is getting boring so far in the album but you get very refreshing verses spit by X and Y thats uptempo and is very nice how they ride the beat to although they do it very differenyly than Masta.

Lovely Lady: 1.5/5 Its shit, this isn;t Masta;s thing but a nice way to end the album with the reggae hook.

At the end i gave the album an 3.4/5 or 6.8/10. In my opinion it doesn;t quite deserve a seven the the tracks that i like doesn't get it the banger/classic certification i was expecting but its a above average banger...the only way i can say it. i'm definetly going to be listening to this album more often!

There that was my review, my first one. So tell me what y'all thought about it.
    Last edited by Iron Man; 08-08-2006 at 02:45 PM. Reason: No said Reason..bitch

HEAVYWEIGHT MEMBER

don't like 5 or 6 tracks on this one but Masta Killa still flows water on the tracks!

PRODIGAL SUN

Man this is a fucking banger. Why people hating on Let's Get Into Something. Shits a hot ass song. Every song is BANGING SON. The last track doesn't seem to fit all that much but whatever still hot.

WHen i rate a 5/5 is triumph or Chess Boxin type tracks
    When its a 1/5 its straight R&B rap and bull shit

Then and Now- a nice track with the younger guys on it really come strong and almost outshine Masta 3.5/5

E.N.Y House-only criticizm i got is its short other wise its bangin 4/5

Brooklyn King- i really like the laid back feel it fits masta but this song would be a 5 if the hook was a little more upbeat and again this track is a lil short had me sayin i want to hear more - 3.5/5

It is What it Is- another banger with the kung fu intro that gives an old Wu feel 4/5

Nehanda and Cream- the intro should be a seperate track other wise a banger
    4/5

Iron God Chamber- Classic even U-God rips it and Meth was straight amazing on it 5/5

Pass the Bone Remix- i like it the beat is perfect for masta's style the singing in the middle "we dont front we run things...." sounds a lil R&B it held it back other wise Masta comes strong 3.5/5

Older Godz Part 2- the beat is a hate it or love it and i really hate it but masta does bring the other half of the song on the mic pretty strong so 2.5/5

Let's Get into Somthing-R & fuckin B this is the only really wack track on this album 1/5

Street Corner- love this song i dont know why but everything comes together great on this track 4/5

Ringing Bells- Very nice Bronze beat 4.5/5

East Mc's- Stop the singing in the begining and we have a classic that is the only bad part in this song 4.5/5

Lovely Lady- the song is Reggae dont like it the song is really out of place compared to everything else 2/5

1 out of place Reggae track 1 wack track and 1 weak track on a 13 track album not bad but he didnt have much room for error cuz of so few tracks in total but its a banger i like it No Said Date was better but this is a decent follow up
    "When all your money is spent an you still hangin' on to fifty cent, get it, you underground" -KRS-ONE

this album is the opitome of average. half of it is good, half of it is crap.

A-VER-AGE

i'll give my little comments on this:

then and now
    nahanda and cream
    lets get into something
    older gods 2
    lovely lady

left these off my Ipod.

the whole novelty off letting your kids have a song to themselves wore out after the future.

theres 3 love tracks on this album and all 3 bombed out. leave them off next time MK, or just have one.

besides the crappy beat, those guys talking though most of the song and masta killa spitting a recycled verse older gods 2 was great.....NOT.

i will say other then these tracks the beatmaking stiffs did a good job. masta killa just made some bad song choices.

as someone mentioned this album sounds more like a mixtape.
    Last edited by THE W; 08-08-2006 at 09:07 PM.
    Christianity = White Supremacy

i barely got the album in the mail... it is pretty good, i will listen more in depth later.... peace everyone

-1-

Throw Ya W's Up!
    Propz To Sean For Kickin' The God A Siggy

Y'all think what ya want to think about the album, I really think that this is a good lp. Masta killa since we known him, have always keep it WU. With the low-key production, Killa keeps reminding us what Wu Tang really is, Hip Hop Kings!!. Don't get it twisted, Im not dickriding, just keeping real. I mean, Killa to me is probably the only one or few from the generals that tries to keep the family together. To me, I rather hear a wu album that has most of the generals on it than just a few. Killa said it himself in an interview, all of the classic solo lp's from the generals (cuban linx, liquid swords, etc...) included work from the wu brothers. thats what makes them truly wu albums not just rae's or gza's (even though their individually titled). Like Killa says, "it's what it is" !!!

By the way, I love how uey refers himself to "oscar the grouch" in iron god chamber. I guess he realized how much he was hurting himself by blaming other people for his situation. Or just read enough of the comments we all had to say about him and wanted to make light of the situation.