81 27.55%
  • mediocre

27 9.18%
  • wack

15 5.10%
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Masta Killa - Made In Brooklyn

Thumbs up

The album is a Banger! Thanx Masta Killa good work . And yes i'm a "Wu-Tang Dickrider" aka a True Fan wit a dick not a pussy-ass bitch thats what alot of ya'll sound like, and 4 ya'll Kids cuz thats what half of ya'll r kids under 21 on this site, sound like lil bitches winy'n bout this and that. ya'll better check ya pants might have pussy down there, all this complaining shut up! and quit the downloading, wait 4 it 2 release and buy the real thing @ a store.

Peace
    Last edited by shaolin_danger; 08-12-2006 at 08:25 PM.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_danger View Post
    . ya'll better check ya pants might have pussy down there! Peace
    lol I've been listening to Wu for a long time and I'm tired of spending $15 - $20 on their shit when I only get 3 songs that have any replay value. That's why I won't buy this album.

Wu Vatican

It took 10 years and no said date to drop "No Said Date." With 10 years to release an album, you would only expect sharp results. Masta Killa's longly overdue album was met with high expections amongst the Wu-Tang Clan diehards, and was received with high acclaim. That album made people say "Masta Killa can hold his own."
    Fast forward 2 years later, and Jamel Arief introduces us to "Made In Brooklyn." And literally so. Made In Brooklyn features many Brooklyn artists and producers, all from the underground circuit. "Then and Now," is something unheard of. A Masta Killa album starting off with the generals' kids grabbing the mic. To take it for what it is, the song is a solid display of MC'ing. A weird feeling comes over you knowing that you're nodding you head to adolescents. E.N.Y. House maintains an old Wu-Tang formula, heavy hitting horns, and, well, heavy hitting horns. Metal Fingers Doom provides a ear teasing beat with Masta Killa flowing deceptively swift. MF has has filtrated out more as of late, and the Wu have given him a call. Brooklyn King is taking it back with simple, quick drums and an in and out bassline. Quickly and elusively, Jamel Ari maintains his original rhymestyle while remaing on beat. It Is What It Is takes over the formula "D.T.D," had from No Said Date. Killa, Raekwon, and Ghostface Killah take over this track over blaring horns and hard bass. As MC's, you can only sense progression has been made with these 3 members together. Smooth jazzy rhythms accompany "Nehanda and Cream," as Masta Killa kicks a lazy hook with seductive verses. A very beach mood is attained on this record with outstanding acuity. Iron God Chamber is a dance-type beat with up tempo, head nodding wordplay. U-God, RZA, Method Man and Masta team up, spitting darts without sight of a hook. Older Gods Pt. 2 preaches knowledge from Masta Killa with a trademark Pete Rock loop. This track tones the album back down, causing rollercoaster type effects. Pass the Bone (Remix) kicks a running-speed fast drum loop with violin and voice sampling. Masta Killa pays homage to the original "Words From The Genius," Pass the Bone track with braggadocious tales of womanizing. Let's Get Into something attempts this same goal, though with a switched up tempo and rhythm and a more cool, calm, and collected Noodles. Ringing Bells is a phenomenal track produced by the up and already here composer Bronze Nazareth, delivering a banger with a well thought of sample to give the track some acuteness and thought. MK's tone is also elevated, purveying his message in a way that is nothing short of greatly replayable. Street Corner follows the path that the clan's "Forever" album had. Ihey wanted to deliver great lyrics and good messages. Both were painted smoothly on this lyrical piece of art as Inspectah Deck, Masta Killa, and GZA all deliver memorable performances over another well done Bronze Nazareth beat. ely Lady bring forth an experimental phase as Masta Killa brings his love of Raggae music to fruition. In a brave manner, the album ends in peculiar, non-typical Masta Killa fashion.
    Made In Brooklyn shows us different flavors perhaps a lot of fans of Masta Killa thought he didn't have. By respecting the No Said Date formula while showing new styles of himself, Made In Brooklyn begins the latter part of 2006 with a formidable result. And what fan of hip hop wouldn't be enticed by a lineup of born-again hungry Wu-Tang Clan members?

Then And Now-4/5 Good for what it is. Questionable intro to an album.
    E.N.Y. House-5/5 A banger for sure. Doom blessed us.
    Brooklyn King-3/5 A good track but the beat becomes too simplistic
    It Is What It Is-2/5 Great MC's cannot redeem this amateur beat
    Nehanda And Cream-5/5 Nice beat with good flow from MK
    Iron God Chamber-5/5 Best Wu cut of 06. Wow RZA.
    Pass the Bone RMX-5/5 Smooth beat but even better MK performance
    Older Gods Part 2-2/5 Not as bad as some have said. Still skippable.
    Let's Get Into Something-1/5 He didn't need to do this. Filler.
    Ringing Bells-5/5 Best solo track behind Underwater and Good Morning.
    Street Corner-5/5 Wonderful to know that these guys still have greatness
    East MC's-4/5 Forgot to review but nice MC'ing. Good enough beat.
    Lovely Lady-2.5/5 Average track though i'm glad he experimented

Overall 7.5/10. I think it's a pretty solid effort, fellas.

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

finally copped this....couldnt find it in best buy or circuit city....fye came thru for me..

i had the ripped version and i honestly wasnt feelin it that much....totally average IMO....

for some reason i coodnt resist coppin the album and i went i started pumpin it in my car i was lovin it. It is What it is was DOPE i thought...theres a pretty wide variety of opinion about this album so far and especially about particular songs..

i think this album is at the very best a "banger"....theres some horrible tracks like Lets get into something and Lovely Lady that just dont belong on a MAsta Killa Wu album i dont think....

but i love Nehanda and Cream, Pass the Bone remix i thought had a real smooth beat, Ringin Bells is awesome of course, Iron God Chamber was pretty tight but i wasnt feeelin that toy pop-gun beat...

i wood give it like a 3.5/5 i guess...

nice work killa--wu banga for sure with the exception of the 2 singin songs--and i dislike east mc just cause i hate when wu raps with non wu people--i voted banga--this album hasnt left my cd player yet--wuforever

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
    nice work killa--wu banga for sure with the exception of the 2 singin songs--and i dislike east mc just cause i hate when wu raps with non wu people--i voted banga--this album hasnt left my cd player yet--wuforever
    wuts with the hatred for east mc's?? Free Murder is considered Wu fam (Popa Wu's son i think) and Killa Sin rips that song...

wut u talkin about?

I liked it and listened to it like 4 times when I bought it. I voted banger. Fuck whoever said wack because this was far from wack

Veteran Member

I'm Pretty Suprised Not A Lot Of People Are Feeling This Album. After Going To Like 4 Stores I Finally Found It I Wouldnt Stop Till I Got It The First Day (One Store Said It Was Coming In The Next Day). It's Gotta Be Atleast A 7 I Think More Like 7.5 Or 8 It's Solid. Street Corners, It Is What It Is, Nehanda And Cream, E.N.Y House, Ringing Bells, Pass The Bone Rmx, And Iron God Chamber (Almost Ruined By Rza) Are All Bangers. Then And Now I Count More As A Skit. East Mc's And Brooklyn King Are Decent. Not Really A Bad Album At All.

Veteran Member

Fuck you guys, now i'mma cop this album

Veteran Member

can someone explain to me why masta' official site (www.mastakilla.net) doesn't even mention his own new album??

Pitchfork magazine gave this a good review also. Glad to see it's getting good reviews although I'm not really feeling it.

Masta Killa
    Made In Brooklyn
    [Nature Sounds; 2006]
    Rating: 7.2

In the kung-fu sampling intro to Masta Killa's blaring Wu throwback "It Is What It Is", a resourceful fighter is asked to combat "very powerful" guns with his own lo-tech weaponry; "My darts can beat a pistol?" he asks. While the Wu-Tang Clan ready another reunion tour, many members seem to feel out of place in 2006's hip-hop landscape, as if they're unsure if their style can compete with the modern 50s and Jeezys of the Rap Machine. There's no better evidence of this phenomenon than Pitchfork contributor Tom Breihan's fascinating Method Man interview for The Village Voice in which the MC speaks about the corroding influence of the music industry on the WTC, "They just take the flavor out of shit after a while. But people just get used to you or tired of you. I hate to say it." With patience and skill, the Wu's own "quiet one," Masta Killa, has managed to evade the commercial trappings that have tainted so many of his brethren. After sticking with an in-house, classic-Wu style with his years-in-the-making 2004 debut, No Said Date, he comes back relatively quickly with another reliable nostalgia trip with Made In Brooklyn.
    The 37-year-old rapper's entrenched style-- an amalgam of GZA and RZA's off-kilter philosophizing, Meth's blunted-lothario charm and U God's laconic punches-- makes it seem like he's never heard a non-Wu track in his life. Which, of course, is not necessarily a bad thing. And it makes sense considering Masta Killa didn't even start rhyming until he joined the Clan as their final official member in the early 1990s. With a flow diametrically opposed to that other Killah's emotional thralls, he's a steadfast rock whose lack of dynamics prohibits him from royally fucking up; it also eliminates his chances of producing a true Wu pillar.
    Considering his limited range as an MC, Masta Killa's beats become extremely crucial. Simply put, the quicker the BPM, the more nimble his flow. And though RZA sits out yet another Wu venture on the production side, contemporaries like MF Doom and Pete Rock along with a slew of young disciples dutifully fill in. "Brooklyn King" has him coolly blowing localisms over old-school NYC minimalism-- just a jazzy drum track and a quick bass run. The faster-is-better maxim also holds up on the horn-funked Rae and Ghost showcase "It Is What It Is"-- the most electric out-and-out banger-- and the sweet-smelling "Pass the Bone (Remix)," a 9th Wonder-style Al Green soul cut from Brooklyn producer Jig Sor. Also helping his cause are RZA and especially Method Man, who show remarkably vital signs of life on the stutter step horn pop of "Iron God Chamber". With its wealth of stellar collaborations, Brooklyn bodes well for the next full-fledged Wu LP, should it ever come to pass.
    The album falters, though, when it breaks from the Clan's formula (the canned r&b of "Let's Get Into Something", the jolting, out of place reggae closer "Lovely Lady") or lags (the plodding, Doom produced "E.N.Y. House", the limp loverman track "Nehanda and Cream", which utilizes the same Gladys Knight sample Kanye used to brilliant effect on Scarface's "In Cold Blood", with lesser returns). Still, Masta Killa's slow-but-steady cadence lingers lovingly on the clipped ballad "Street Corner", featuring Inspectah Deck and GZA spitting raw, unflinching pain over mournful strings.

Truth be told, nobody in the WTC really fits into the trends and fads of today. The group's no-frills aesthetic defines their legend but it also prohibits their progress. But the Clan's consistency-- once again proven by this solid effort from their least recognizable contributor-- is utterly staggering. Countless rap crews from G-Unit to D12 to Dipset have tried to copy the Wu model only to peter out artistically by the time the third or fourth member drops his solo long player. So, until 40 Cal releases an album as effortlessly listenable as Made In Brooklyn, the Wu's domination as a collective is secure.

-Ryan Dombal, August 10, 2006

FRESH FISH

Average album IMO. 7.5/10, NSD > this

Quote Originally Posted by McTom View Post
    can someone explain to me why masta' official site (www.mastakilla.net) doesn't even mention his own new album??
    He is so ill that he doesn't need that exposure..

After a week I finally going to take a break form it. I must of listened to it 30 times since I got it.
    Songs that I was not feeing that I like now.
    Lovely Lady- I was really getting into this track even though it reggae.
    Lets get into something- The guy sings really good. I dont skip this one now.

Older Godz- Sorry the beat is still horrible. Always skip it.

The rest of the album I loved from the begginning.

Then And Now - This song is aight, great beat, and it's a pretty good idea as they also was on his last album.. And the kids definitely got skills. Fine intro, not a song that you're listening to that much, but then again, intros isn't what I usually listens too. 6.5/10

E.N.Y. House - Oh shit. Best beat on the album! Reaaally great rapping and easily one of the 3 best songs on the album. 8.5/10

Brooklyn King - The beat is a bit upbeat, but it's great. Another great song. Don't like the chorus that much, but beat and rapping is definitely on point. 8/10

It Is What It Is - Good to hear kung fu-samples again. Banging beat, and Ghost is back to his own self. He actually sounds raw on this album. He haven't sounded raw since.. Bulletproof Wallets or something?? Raekwon is on point, and so is Raekwon. Great song, the bit is a bit repitive, but all in all a great song. 8/10

Nehanda And Cream - The beat is hmm... ok.. the rapping is fine, but it's not really a song that I would put on. But an ok song. 6/10

Iron God Chamber - Great, but VERY repitive beat. Great verses by all of them, especially Meth. As a Uey fan I'm glad to see him back in action since Mr. X. He was ill on Think Differently, ill on Fishscale, and ill on this album. Uey is definitely back on track. One of the best songs on the album. 8/10

Pass the Bone RMX - I like the beat very much. Great up-tempo. As the name says this is more like a rmx off the old gza-classic. A pretty good song. 7.5/10

Older Gods Part 2 - I don't like this beat. What happened, Pete?? Masta is definitely on point as always, and is able to save this song. The talking is pretty annoying, and I would only put this song on because of Masta. 6.5/10

Let's Get Into Something - This was a big suprise. Most of us was surprised when we saw Uey's Bump, but who would expect MK to make a song like this? Ok, it's not like this song is completely un-listenable, but it's pretty bad. 5/10

Street Corner - Ooooh. I know this beat is re-used. But please put that aside when listening to this song. This is one of the best new songs I have heard in a long time. The amazing beat, and the amazing lyrics - especially from Deck is just crazy. Really, really good song, best on the album. 9/10

Ringing Bells - This was the first song from the album I heard, and it made me believe that MK would again deliver a great album. This song is really good. Great beat, great rapping, and great samples. 8/10

East MC's - Oh why, oh why did we have to have FreeMurda on this song. Well, put him aside, and this song is a banger. Masta Killa killed it, but Sin stole the show. So good to see Sin back with killa lyrics, and he flows the beat perfectly. Would have got 8.5 if it didn't have FreeMurda. 8/10

Lovely Lady - Ok. The last song. Looong intro. But when the beat finally dropped. What a beat. I love reaggae and these kind of beats. But then the singing comes. Damn, they ruined the beat. This instrumental would have been so ill. Masta isn't that ill on it too. This would have got 9/10 if it was only 2 minutes and was a instrumental. 6/10.

Overall: 7,3~7.5. It might seem low, but when looking on albums as The Low End Theory, It Takes A Million To Hold Us Back, 36 Chambers etc. and compare them to this I think it's a fair rating. This is one of the best albums I've heard in a while, and it's looking really good for Wu. Uey is back on track, Killa Sin still got fire, Ins' voice is back after the shock on 9 Milli. Bros, and all in all, everything is looking good. This album have some really, really great songs, but also have some not-that-good songs. So I think 7.5 is fair.

Best 5 songs:

ENY House
    It Is What It Is
    Iron God Chamber
    Street Corner
    Ringing Bells