• mediocre

15 5.26%
  • wack

9 3.16%
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Method Man - 4-21 The Day After

CORNED BEEF SAMMICH

"averages out to 9/10"

No.....your rating averages out to 8.2 out of 10.

8.4 / 10

2 run double

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah View Post
    i think im the only one who at least likes the beat on the last song
    That beat is great

L~>1<~NKS

HERE'S WHAT A CRITIC HAD 2 SAY:

Method Man - 4:21... The Day After

Album Review by: Lee Tillman
    Sun, August 27th, 2006

The first bar's on Method Mans new album '4:21 The Day After' are "Stop look and listen guess who's coming up/ and y'all was dumb enough to think that Methods numbers up". Well, can you blame us? After 13 years in the game it's not a secret that Method Man hasn't released the most stellar of solo albums. After the release of 'M. E. T. H. O. D. Man' the single it was assumed that Mef would be the one to blow. Mostly because of his singsongy delivery and the looks that the girls loved. He was the easiest Clan member for Middle America to swallow. While his debut 'Tical' had some unforgettable singles with 'Bring The Pain', 'All I Need' and 'Release Yo' Delf' even Method Man himself said it was the worst of the Wu Tang solo albums. It's hard to disagree when you think of the other Clan albums that were released shortly after. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Liquid Swords and Ironman.

In 1998 came 'Tical 2000: Judgment Day'. Although it went platinum it wasn't much better than the first. Then came the long awaited Red/Mef album 'Blackout' which showed some promise but we also got 'How High' the movie and 'Method & Red' the TV series. Since then it's been downhill for the Clan. Not too many people even remember 'Tical 0: The Prequel' was released and even our beloved Ghostface Killah caught a brick with 'The Pretty Tony Album'.

So where are we now? Well, Ghost joined the Carter administration and Method has FINALLY released his best solo album to date. '4:21 The Day After' (because 4/21 is the day after national weed smoking day, its a moment of clarity) is what every Method Man fan has been waiting for, for 12 years.

"F a rap critic, He talk about it while I live it/ If Red got the blunt I'm the second one to hit it". He said it over 10 years ago on his ...(continued below)

first venture with Reggie Nobles and evidently his views haven't changed. The 'Intro' touches on both topics with a Legalize Marijuana campaign rally as the backdrop while Mef spits ferocious lines at people like me'(i.e. rap critics). His mantra on this album is obviously "Don't count me out, just count me in".

Unlike previous albums Meth plays to his strengths by focusing on lyrics instead of outlandish production and personas. The mission this time is strait forward. As he states in Intro "If Def Jam is deaf then start reading my lips, I'm cocky".

His choice in beat makers defiantly helps bring this to fruition. Kwame's sparse production on 'Fall Out' makes way for Mef's Ginsu sharp flow. Havoc cues up the cinematic strings (circa 'Hell on Earth' era Mobb Deep) on 'Somebody Done Fucked Up' to remind us that he (both Hav and Mef) still got it. Eric Sermon, who produced the first single 'Say' allows Mr. Smith to vent about the three R's of the hip-hop world (Radio, Record labels and Rap fans) and how all three are terribly fickle. FYI: contrary to popular belief 'Say' only samples Lauryn Hill and doesn't actually feature her. Rza produces four tracks but the standout is undoubtedly 'Presidential M. C.' which finds Raekwon & The Rza back on their 'A' game.

One of the many highlights of the album is 'Dirty Mef' which features O. D. B spitting quite possibly his most coherent verse ever which makes you wonder what could have been. 'Ya'Meen' is the obvious "Let's bring hip hop back to N.Y." track which trades in finger snaps for hand claps and features Fat Joe who gets a little in over his head halfway through his verse and Styles P. who sounds a little too cocky. "Ni**a's in the East want to unite./ Not me. If you ain't sayin' I'm the best you ain't come at me right". We love you P but come on, the best? Yet, somehow the song gets it point across quite well.

While '4:21' is many things it is in no way a classic. In the best-case scenario this is just the tip of the iceberg and Method will get even better with his coming albums. The worst-case scenario is that he'll get Diddy to produce another album. One of the problems is that it gets a little soggy in the middle starting off with the quasi-title track '4:20'. Rza provides a so-so track and both Mef and the usually scene stealing Streetlife follow suit. Things go into autopilot thanks to mediocre songs like 'Let's Ride' which features Ginuwine and 'Gotta Have it'. The end of the album brings things back into focus with songs like the aforementioned 'Presidential M. C.' and the obligatory Redman collaboration 'Walk On' in which Red and Mef trade in their "America's Most Blunted" schtick for a darker sound. Hearing Red say he'll "pull out a gun big as a vacuum cleaner" makes me wonder what Blackout part 2 would sound like.

Finally, Method Man has delivered an album worthy of his veteran status. The only question is: Is it too little too late for N.Y. hip hop or will our hero Johnny Blaze swoop in and save the day? Tune in next time kiddies. Until then... Happy 4/21 everybody!

Meth reps the shit out of wu on this album. Thats what the fuck all the members should be doing. Loving Red on that grimey beat.(Wonder if their going to go that grimey sound on the next meth, red album) Very happy with how the album turned out. Yes there are two or three weaker songs but thats all right. Solid 8.5. Best wu album of the year so far.

wuswordz95

Default mef 21 is good

Earlier today I bought method man 421. The first listen was a tad bit disappointment. About 4 hours later I gave it another spin. It improved. Here is a somewhat quick review of the album.

1 Intro 4.00. Probably, the best track on the album. The beat is outer space
    insanic. Reminds me of tical. The opening track is promising. The mef is back
    2. Is it me? 3.00 Not bad for a Scott storch beat. Homeboy came correct on this one.

3 The problem 2.75 its allright, the instrument in the background betters the song.
    4. Somebody done fuck up 2.50. I aint feeling this havoc beat.
    5. Fall out. 2.50 Sounds like a crappy club song. I only like the alarm sound in this song. Hopefully, this song will get airplay and 421 will go platinum.
    6. Dirty Mef 3.00 Pretty good song that includes the osirus. It’s nice that mef remembers The ol dirty bastard. Beat reminds me of the osirus mixtape.
    7. 4;20. 3.50 This beat is eerie and grimey. I liked it at first. , now I really dig this track. Just like most RZA tracks this song will slowy be a wu banger or classic in a few months. That’s what I love about the RZA.
    8. Lets ride. 2.75. I hated this song at first, but when I took second listen I paid attention to mef s words and I said shit mef is good on this one. I aint no r/b fan,, but mef lyrics saves this song. It should be used in a mega movie, thus making 421 platinum.
    9. Glide. 3,25 Pretty good song. I expected a better rza production. I know it will grow on me.
    10. Got to have it 2.25 least fav track on the album.
    11. Say 3.75. wonderful song by bob marley. Produced nicely by Erick sermon. Wish he would made more of an effort on his other 421 produced tracks. Say is just wonderful.
    12. Ya mean 2.50 This song is alright.
    13. konichiwa Bitches 3.00. good song.
    14. Everything 2.75. I thought math would give mef a down assbeat, but it’s alright.
    15. Walk on. 3.50. First song I burned to I tunes before its released. I really didn’t dig the track at the time. Now I love he drums and guitar in the song. It gives a rock n roll soul feel to it.
    16. Presidential mc 3.50. A kick ass song. I don’t like it as most people do. It’s a great song, but hey maybe it will slowly grow on me. I was hoping for me to love this track.
    17. 4 ever. 3.00. nice song. Megan rochell fared well in this one. If 421 goes platinum Megan Rochelle should suck everyone’s dick that is affiliated with the wu.

Overall the album scored a 3.02.. This album shows mefs weakness, his blindness of wack mainstream beats. Seriously mef needs to stop. I can’t believe he digs yung juc it’s going down sadly, mef probably is under contract with def jam. He probably would like to make a real wu like album but he’s got a family to feed. So I Guess I don’t blame him
    The album is good. Not as good as inspcthah decks mixtape.

DEVIL BASTARD!!! PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT's Avatar

When rae's cuban 2 drops all these doubters will see that wu has raised their game with ghost and mef dropping heat

421 is a really good commercial album that doesn’t sell out

Good album, much better than his last.

7/10

Holdin down the North Eastern corner of the U.S. Matrix

I have a feeling that this album won't be that good? I'll go listen to it first and then make my decision if its worth the money? Just by readin every1 else's reviewz i have a strong feelin i'm not gonna like it it to much? We'll see tho?
    Born intellectual...mind over matter...my mental splatter ya physical...so fast my movements are invisible...cut off the wingz to your trend...your not even that original

Ridin' in the Wu-mobile rubyspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wuswordz95 View Post
    I can’t believe he digs yung juc it’s going down
    If you're talking about his comments on that Breakdown TV interview, look at it again. He was making a joke. He even rolled his eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by wuswordz95 View Post
    The album is good. Not as good as inspcthah decks mixtape.
    INS is an album, not a mixtape.

Quote Originally Posted by rubyspirit View Post
    how the hell can you not understand the concept of an official mixtape?????

IT'S A MIXTAPE

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

http://www.myspace.com/theblacksunn1 http://theblacksunn.blogspot.com

wuswordz95

Quote Originally Posted by rubyspirit View Post
    If you're talking about his comments on that Breakdown TV interview, look at it again. He was making a joke. He even rolled his eyes.

okay my buddy I had no idea

Urban's, Gigy's, Queen's, Roze's wildest dreams

Ghost bringin heat?Fishscale was weak IMO

Winner of The Masta Killa Award 2007
    New and Improved Cool List © : Everybody
    © The Cool List name and product is protected under the laws of I used it first.All rights reserved

ins - the resident patient is an official MIXTAPE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT AN ALBUM, it's like "osiris" from odb
    Shaolin shadowboxin' and the wu-tang swordstyle...
    If what you say is true...
    The shaolin and the wu-tang could be dangerous!
    En garde, I'll let you try my wu-tang style...

Ridin' in the Wu-mobile rubyspirit's Avatar

Like I said, Inspectah Deck calls The Resident Patient AN ALBUM on his MySpace. Even @ Amazon it is not listed as a mixtape.

FORGET WHAT YOU THINK. ITS WHAT IT IS.