• mediocre

15 5.26%
  • wack

9 3.16%
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Method Man - 4-21 The Day After

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

definitely gonna buy it..

Meth deserves some good sales i think he did a good enough job on this project..

Intro:
    After a few boring seconds, Meth attacks this dope beat (sounds like RZA). He sounds angry and motivated, setting the mood for this album. Nice opening.
    4.5/5

Is It Me:
    Like almost everyone on this site, i was scared when i hear Scott Storch was producing... but i'm glad to testify he gave Meth a dope piano beat, with hard and crisp drums. Meth is Meth, which means dope voice energy and flow. Nice song!
    4.25/5

Problem:
    Nice E.Sermon beat using the famous "Electric Substitution" breakbeat (same as "M.E.T.H.O.D Man" or Ghost's "The Champ"). It's a simple beat, allowing Meth to shine effortlessly. Not the greatest song, but fitting well in the context of this album.
    4/5

Somebody Done Fucked Up:
    Havoc came through with a banger, way better than the garbage "Blood Money" material. It's dark and drums are hard and crisp, perfect for a 2006 wu record. And Meth is dope on it too. Banger!
    4.5/5

Fall out:
    it's obvioulsy a club record. The Kwamé track is not great but not that bad too, got that funky spacey vibe (reminding me of some Tical 0 songs). But Meth is flowing so nicely on it, so it makes the song quite enjoyable.
    3.5/5

Dirty Meth:
    Good to hear Dirty again. The beat makes me think of some beats from the Osirus mixtape, yet better. It's simple and it let's Meth and Dirty shine. I don't know why but i'm feeling the chorus too, it gives a good dynamic to the song.
    3.75/5

4:20:
    Damn, that beat is meaannn!!! It's dark, minimalist and very creative. I'm feeling a lot that updated 2006 Tical sound. Rza def still got it. And that's cool to hear tohse 3 together again. Classic track!
    5/5

Let's Ride:
    Ok, the song everybody's going to hate. And i'm feeling it. Denuan Porter already surprised me with his contibution to Busta's big Bang. ANd here, he gives Meth a nice mid 90's RnB throwback beat, a little similar to "Never Be The Same". I could almost picture a 95 "Brownsugar" D'angelo on it. It may feel a little out of place in the album, but not a horrible song at all.
    3.5/5

The Glide:
    Skrilla was a classic Dirty song, but it's never going to be released... so why being mad at Rza recycling this banger and making it a brilliant wu-banger ? Meth is a beast on it, U-God is perfect, Rae keeps proving he owns 2006 and La delivers a tight chorus.
    5/5

Got To have It:
    Tired concept. but the beat is cool and Meth rides it with ease and energy.
    Good song.
    3.75/5

Say:
    I never really felt that song, especially the beat. But in the context of the album, i appreciate it more. Still not too crazy about it though...
    3/5

Ya Meen:
    i'm going against the grain once again with this one. I'm really feeling the beat, nothing spectacular but it's hard and heavy. Still, it would have been better without Fat Joe's weak performance. He almost ruins the track after Meth good performance. Styles P is aight.
    3.5/5

Konichiwa Bitches:
    It will go down as Meth's classics along with "Retrogodfather", "Torture" or "killing Fields"... Meth+RZA = greatness
    5/5

Everything:
    Allah Math banger. It's simple yet it brings that perfect wu-vibe necessary for a vintage wu-banger. Deck and Street are dope too, and i don't even need to comment on Meth.
    4.5/5

Walk On:
    Meth and Red going back and forth on this crazy live breakbeat... one of the best Meth/Red song, making me anticipate Black Out 2...
    5/5

Presidential MC:
    Another crazy RZA beat!! i'm feeling that low Rza voice, same with Rae and Mr Meth spits hard!
    5/5

4ever:
    What a strange beat... you're getting used to it after a while though but still Megan Rochell confirms what i was thinking after listening to Ghost's "Mama": she's mediocre at best. Weak song.
    2/5

Ok, Meth redeemed himself after that horrible Tical 0. 4:21 is actually a really dope album, balancing quite nice the wu aesthetics with 2006's clean and punchy sound, almost like a Wu version of Busta Rhymes' "Big Bang".
    It may be lacking the concepts of Fishscale but at the same time, we love Meth for his charisma, voice, dope wordplay and delivery, things he delivers in this album.
    So i'll be more than glad to buy it when it hits the stores.

4.25/5
    Last edited by pi-pol; 08-17-2006 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pi-pol View Post
    Problem:
    Nice E.Sermon beat using the famous "Electric Substitution" breakbeat (same as "M.E.T.H.O.D Man" or Ghost's "The Champ"). It's a simple beat, allowing Meth to shine effortlessly. Not the greatest song, but fitting well in the context of this album.
    4/5
    Ok, 1st, the name is "Synthetic Substitution" 2nd, That's not the sample Sermon uses. He uses Skull Snaps - "It's a New Day"

Quote Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
    Ok, 1st, the name is "Synthetic Substitution" 2nd, That's not the sample Sermon uses. He uses Skull Snaps - "It's a New Day"
    ok, my bad, that's what happens when you try to be smart lol. Thanks for the corrections!

PRODIGAL SUN

i just got this and its a hot album but i havent had chance 2 lisen 2 it all

Ridin' in the Wu-mobile rubyspirit's Avatar

Yay Meth! Thanks for making the love songs (Let's Ride and 4eva). That's why the ladies love you.

The tracks I repeat a lot are Problem, Dirty Mef, 420, and Everything.

5 Mics, 10/10 - it hot!

Wu-Veteran

1. Intro 10/10 ILL (takes a little too long to get to the verse)

2. Is It Me 9/10 ILL

3. Problem 7/10 (good, not really feelin the Bandit's Beats lately)

4. Somebody Done Fucked Up 8/10 (nice track, expected more from HAV)

5. Shaolin Soldier (Skit)

6. Fall Out 7.5/10 (good club track, hook is suspect and beat has a sloppy sound in it that needs to go)

7. Dirty Mef (Feat. O.D.B.) 6.5/10 (good to hear dirt but I dont feel the beat, and dirtys rhymes sound forced)

8. 4:20 (Feat. Streetlife & Carlton Fisk) 7/10 (alright, but definitely skippable

9. Let's Ride (Feat. Ginuwine) 4/10 (not feelin it. not cuz its R&B, just cuz its wack)

10. The Glide 8/10 (Ill but I liked the "skrilla" beat better)

11. Kids (Skit)

12. Got To Have It 7.5/10 (actually listened to it and mef kills this 1...beat kinda annoying though)

13. Say 8.5/10 ILL

14. Ya'Meen (Feat. Fat Joe & Styles P) 7/10 (meth murders everyone on it, Fat Joe needs to retire or change his style)

15. Konichiwa Bitches 8/10 (Ill)

16. Everything (Feat. Inspectah Deck & Streetlife) 10/10 (WU BANGA)

17. Walk On (Feat. Redman) 8/10 (ILL)

18. Pimpin' (Skit)

19. Presidential M.C. (Feat. Raekwon & The Rza) 8.5/10 (at first didnt really feel mef's style on this but its nice still...sounds more like a rae track though 4 sho...beat is serious)

20. 4 Ever (Feat. Megan Rochell) 1/10 (sorry this is garbage)

All in all the album is bangin...I wouldve made it shorter and cut some of the fat off but still good. I want Mef to start talkin bout more than just how ill his mic is or how fucked up the critics head are though. Mef is a vet and I wanna hear some real messages in his music next time up.
    I still didnt get the mef album Ive been waitin for all these years but its a good sign that jonny still blaze. (on the real though mef ned to hit me up for some beats cuz some of those are just not album material...stay tuned to hear some of the lava i got right now...I aint playin)

OVERALL 8/10

You guys ratin the album already when you've heard it once on a downloaded copy! fuckin' clowns
    -----------------------

somebody add a poll

Quote Originally Posted by CashRules View Post
    You guys ratin the album already when you've heard it once on a downloaded copy! fuckin' clowns
    you do know that "professional" reviwers usually only listen to an advance copy of the album or attend a listening party and only listen to the album once, right?

besides, this is a mastered copy of the album that will appear in stores. I'm sick of people using this argument, this isn't the same case as the fishscale advanced that leaked.

and does everyone remember bulletproof wallets? the reviewer didnt base their 4.5 mic rating on the retail version, they based it on the advance before certain tracks were redone or cut.
    Last edited by THE W; 08-18-2006 at 11:57 AM.
    Christianity = White Supremacy

DuncanHine Monument Cakes CEITEDMOFO's Avatar

I Just Bought Ill Computer Speakers(2 Woofers And 1 Bass Speaker) From Radio Shack For 49 Dollas And "420" Bumps Shit Is Ill, Ill Album

This album is amazing..9/10 Straight classic..Fuck the haters...
    https://www.youtube.com/xiliesfwnesofficial

1. Intro 4/5
    2. Is It Me 4,5/5
    3. Problem 4/5
    4. Somebody Done Fucked Up 5/5 BANGER
    5. Shaolin Soldier (Skit)
    6. Fall Out 3,5/5 Love the beat, hook is garbage tho
    7. Dirty Mef (Feat. O.D.B.) 2/5
    8. 4:20 (Feat. Streetlife & Carlton Fisk) 4/5
    9. Let's Ride (Feat. Ginuwine) 3/5
    10. The Glide 4/5
    11. Kids (Skit)
    12. Got To Have It 4/5
    13. Say 3/5
    14. Ya'Meen (Feat. Fat Joe & Styles P) 4/5 Dope track. too many hate on it
    15. Konichiwa Bitches 4/5
    16. Everything (Feat. Inspectah Deck & Streetlife) 4/5
    17. Walk On (Feat. Redman) 4/5
    18. Pimpin' (Skit)
    19. Presidential M.C. (Feat. Raekwon & The Rza) 5/5
    20. 4 Ever (Feat. Megan Rochell) 2/5

Overall, very nice album. few wack tracks like "4 Ever" but most of the album is bangin.

4/5

ed-word

album is just like guns in midle east, BANGING