• 3: Good

0 0%
  • 2: Boring

1 3.57%
  • 1: Wackadoccious

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GangStarr - Moment Of Truth

I never liked Gang Starr prior to this album and I remember the Source gave it 4 and a half mics and the next issue there was a shit load of people writing in complaining that it should of got 5 mics so I went and copped the album and hated it, I thought Guru was boring as fuck but over time it became my favorite album. Today I consider it a masterpiece.

-

You're telling me that you don't like Daily Operation and Hard To Earn albums? LOL.

Yeah of course I do, I'm saying that I didnt get into Gang Starr until this album came out in 98, I slept on them prior to that.

-

Well i can see what you mean. I didn't like No More Mr Nice Guy and Step In The Arena albums. But they definitely made better albums when they did Daily Operation, Hard To Earn, Moment Of Truth. Step In The Arena has a few songs i like but i don't listen to it often like i do Daily Operation, Hard To Earn, Moment Of Truth. I don't see how anybody can say Guru is boring. He's never been boring to me. He has a laidback style and he's not aggressive like most rappers and i like that. Not every rapper has to be hardcore and aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedAvenger View Post
    Over 4000 now. probably around 1000 burnt, rest cd/vinyl and probably a few hundred lost/stolen or never returned. these days though I dont buy too much, maybe only like 50 a year
    Wow that's respectable man! How many years you been collectin'? Is it mostly all hip hop?

Since 89, only hip hop.

-

I have a lot of rap and r&b cd's also and some r&b albums. 70's, 80's, 90's were the best decades for rap and r&b. It's really sad that rap and r&b today will never be like it was back in the day. That's why i love Youtube because i get to watch old footage of rap and r&b videos from back in the day and i also watch old footage of r&b artists performing on Soul Train tv show. Those artists back then had skills and could sing real good. They could also dance. These wack rappers and wack r&b singers today need to watch old footage on Youtube of rappers and r&b singers from back in the day so they can learn the history of artists that came before them and see how their music was good. I also wanna thank Don Corneilus(RIP)for starting Soul Train to give black artists a chance to be seen on tv because most black artists from back in the day wasn't given a lot of tv exposure. Soul Train also gave blacks a chance to be seen dancing. There was some good black dancers on Soul Train. Jody Watley and Jeffrey Daniels who was with the r&b group Shalamar got their start as dancers on Soul Train and they were good dancers.

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedAvenger View Post
    Since 89, only hip hop.
    That's crazy man! Do you feel like there's still lots of stuff you don't have or do you feel like you have pretty much everything you want at this point?

-

Well i haven't bought a music cd since 2006 LOL. There's too much garbage music out and that's why i don't go to the record store anymore. I probably won't go anymore for a long time because i don't even bother to listen to these new artists. Black music will never be good again like it was in the 70's, 80's, 90's.

I still think there's lots of great rap being released, it's just different than it used to be. Not really in quality, but rather approach and execution. The production has changed with the times too.

-

Well you can continue to listen to rap if you want but i'd rather listen to my old rap cd's. The way i feel about black music is the same way i feel about movies. I love movies especially action movies and there aren't a lot of action movies being made now. Old action stars like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Steven Seagal, Jean Claude Van Damme are trying to keep action movies alive but once they stop doing movies, who's gonna be the new action stars? I have a concern about the future of action movies because it's a lot of wack movies coming to theatres. Straight to video action movies are better than the action movies that come to theatres. There's been a few recent action movies that came to theatres that i like such as Gangster Squad, Parker, Bullet To The Head, Die Hard 5, Fast and the Furious 6. 2 Guns with Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington is a action movie that's coming to theatres August 2nd that looks good and i wanna see it. I used to love going to the movies in the summer because there used to be a lot of good action movies but it's not like that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by KJR View Post
    That's crazy man! Do you feel like there's still lots of stuff you don't have or do you feel like you have pretty much everything you want at this point?
    Nah I pretty much got everything I want in terms of older stuff, every now and then I discover a hidden gem though. I still like a lot of new stuff but I'm over buying CD's, now when I buy a CD I put it on the shelf and never even touch it.

^Yeah with everything being digital now, CDs are becoming a little useless. I still buy them because I enjoy having a physical copy and artwork, etc.

@CharlesJones: Was the new Die Hard actually good? I heard it was awful.

-

Die Hard 5 is good. I watched it this weekend and i wanna buy it. Don't listen to what people say. Check it out. It's better than Die Hard 2, 3 and 4.

^Alright, I'll have to. I really like this album but I think "What Im Here 4", "Make Em Pay" and "The Mall" are definitely the weakest tracks. They should've been cut imo