Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you had the chance to make an album....

Default If you had the chance to make an album....

Doesn't matter wheather you mc or not this is strictly hypothetical, if you were a rapper and was given sufficient resources who would you want to produce your album? and who would feature on it? assuming you would want features, also as a bonus question which label would you sign with?

After enough people post their replys I will give my reasons as to why I asked.
    They can be from any country but please give some description of the vibe of that particular persons work.

Ok I'll start

First off I wouldn't want more than four producers on my album because I believe the tracks should just flow from each other, my choices for who would produce would be...

Stoupe (his orchestral sounds would be a great way to kick things off)
    Rza (goes without saying, his music would carry a great raw vibe throughout)
    Premo (I could never leave him out, that boom bap would be great for those street singles)
    9th Wonder (I like the mellow vibe of his beats, he can do great head nodding shit or some cool layed back music, perfect way to end the album)

As far as guests I would keep it limited to just three...

Gza
    MF Doom
    Redman

It was hard to choose but I chose these three for the different vibes I would get from each.

As far as a label, more than likley I would choose Babygrande, they carry themselves well and promote well too.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

PRODIGAL SUN

label: baby grande, you get ok distribution, and artistic freedom

producers
    premo, just premo if possible, but if i had to have another, i would have one or two tracks produced by madlib

guests
    rae, his verses are fire right now
    kweli, same
    gift of gab, and zion i we could get together on some real northern cali hip hop shit

Straight Outta PHX

If I had one guy doin' the whole thing I'd go for Stoupe circa 2003-2004

Guests, man, I'd wanna do the solo thing but there's a lot of peoples, Masta Ace would be my first, a load of others. It'd be cool to do a joint called "Bless the Mic With the Gods" and get a shitload of legends on there like Rakim and KRS and Kane and G Rap, etc.
    In the world I see, you're stalking elk through the damp canyon forest around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty carpool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Quote Originally Posted by PDTantisocial View Post

It'd be cool to do a joint called "Bless the Mic With the Gods" and get a shitload of legends on there like Rakim and KRS and Kane and G Rap, etc.
    That would be fucking brilliant, I didn't think of that.

Method Man

Label - Day by Day

Guest - Ern Dawgy, Graveyard shifter , Jon Dough , MC Cosm ... shit the list goes on and on.

Producers - Lord Zero, DJ Yohan solo , Conz.

I choose day by day as the label because there is much promise in that label and not many ppl are trying to get on at the moment.

I choose these artist because they are independent artist that got the hunger and I see them going far with the right help.

Same goes for the producers as for the guest spots.

The Devil's sons Graveyard shift's Avatar

Good thread, Latin.

Me personally, I don't care much for sales. My take on why I make music is really different from others. Really, I do it for the listeners. The way I look at it, I just want to put art out there that's different from the rest. I want to put out variety so I can add on to the selection pool for listeners of rap.

The core of my producionwould come from: Skwirm, The beholder, and Soul Mechanix from the Foundation Unit: www.soundclick.com/thefoundationunit

And Planet Formation: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...&bandID=263779

I'd like to work with Havoc from Mobb Deep.

With other beats comming from several different sources on soundclick.

People I'd collabo with: Hmm, I'll keep it simple. I'll work with a friend of mine, Adrian, & people I know, Frank Wit: www.soundclick.com/frankewhitt --no cats from the industry. I'd hit up the last guest spot with a friend of mine, Key rogue.

Label: Ahh, give me any underground label with good studio. All I want is to get my shit out with good quality. I can market it myself.
    Last edited by Graveyard shift; 10-14-2006 at 11:47 PM.

Damn....
    ok....
    Mine would have to be a double-disc, because I want to have it half and half. One side, more boom-bap and old school, the other side more mellow and spiritual.

First Disc_
    Production: 9th Wonder, RZA, The Beatnuts, DJ Muggs, Cilvaringz.
    Guest Spots: Sabac Red (Non Phixion), Diabolic, Evidence, Mad Child, P.R. Terrorist and Jean Grae.

Second Disc_
    Production: DJ Hi-Tek, Pete Rock, Blockhead, DJ Honda, Prince Paul.
    Guest Spots: Black Thought, Mighty Mos Def, Killah Priest, Bronze Nazareth, The Juggaknots.

Label_
    Either Baby Grande or Ninja Tune.

Dope thread dogg.
    "Die before you die."-Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

Veteran Member staycreepin_n_silence's Avatar

Okay when you say significant resources do you mean money? No guidlines no one telling me what to do just give me some money to make an album?

Label: Afrocentric. first I am going to create a budget so that I can have some advertisement money and invest little to none towards guess produces and emcess

Guess: Only two I would consider that's not local are AZ and black thoughts. Notice I said consider

Production: I'll get productions from heads around the way and lesser know but decent priced Producers.

Let's say a Significant amount was 5 million

The allocation

I'm going to spend anywhere from 500k to 1.5 million on promotion.
    I'm spending "up to" one million on productions, so I will have the cheaper but good beats 15. Some I'll make myself others my brother in law. Since I'm going to do a few maybe 3 or 4 I am going to save money.

Guess appearences, one to three other emcess from around my way. No one spectacular. The guess emcess is going to be on a 1 million dollar budget but again I am not going to have but on to three. I believe an album should be all him, and not to many guests not even if you are in the same group. That's why I believe wu as a solo flop. Most solo wu from the past was carried by the whole clan. So I don't want that I want to carry it myself.

I'm not going to be talking about rims, front, street life, or anything else that ahve been over played since the early 90s. I'm not going to promote blackness, but awareness. More like a cause and effect.

Unlike something some else I do want to sale big. You can love all day but at the end of the night love doesn't pay the bills

I estimate that I might have about 2 million if lucky to just chill with. I'm not going to get broke paying off a Rza or large profession. And I have no money coming in off the album that's crazy. Fuck love, I have a woman for that. Fuck love I have a family for that. I have to eat. I spend 3 million I should make 6 million.

Second album, I'll bring on AZ, black thoughts, Kweli, Young Joc and lupe.

Third album Bizzy bone, Inspectah deck, lil jon, rick ross and lyfe and Avant

First album I want it to be all me no guest. Second album is going to be chapter 2. ten albums one book about I'm telling a story. I will retire
    Last edited by staycreepin_n_silence; 10-15-2006 at 12:57 AM.
    Common~Talib Kweli~Nas~Az~Bun B~Eightball&MJG~Goodie mob~Fiend~WuTang~Lupe~BoneThugs~SunzofMan~JayZ~Bea ns~Jeezy~The Roots

Blood of a Slave Heart of a King. BraveHeart

Word, I feel what the last guy said. It's better to work with local heads or people that you know and are cool with because vibe is so intrigal to any recording being successful.

As much as I like mainstream artist, I just can't see myself being on the same wave of thought with someone like Nas that lives in a different atmosphere, breathes a different air, and sees life differently than my peoples do.

Quote Originally Posted by staycreepin_n_silence View Post
    The feel is going to be an uplifting feel you know. The vibe you get is that you don't have to be a shot caller or baller to be successful black people. I want to make people aware of what's going on and what we need to change.

The whole going to jail and killing people is wack and the whole buying up a lot of rims and fronts in only make the whites rich and you look stupid. The feel is conscious, it's awareness it's not streets and prison, it's a fell of hiphop develope your own mentality own persona. Which is why I chose AZ and Blackthoughts because I feel they have their own persona and they kick shit people needs to hear.

Man, that's the smartest thing I've read in a while. Peace to Africa, my brother. My family is Nigerian.

shaolin shadowboxer Frank Drebin's Avatar

Label: Couldnt give a fuck
    Producer: Rza
    Guest: Wu-Tang Clan
    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Allah is my bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodman View Post
    Can’t stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... It’s never us coming with the gimmicks. It’s always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap that’s just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ‘Why Wu-Tang?’ when it’s not Wu-Tang.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    That's a guy in those pictures who's a woman?

Quote Originally Posted by staycreepin_n_silence View Post
    Okay when you say significant resources do you mean money? No guidlines no one telling me what to do just give me some money to make an album?

Label: Afrocentric. first I am going to create a budget so that I can have some advertisement money and invest little to none towards guess produces and emcess

Guess: Only two I would consider that's not local are AZ and black thoughts. Notice I said consider

Production: I'll get productions from heads around the way and lesser know but decent priced Producers.

Let's say a Significant amount was 5 million

The allocation

I'm going to spend anywhere from 500k to 1.5 million on promotion.
    I'm spending "up to" one million on productions, so I will have the cheaper but good beats 15. Some I'll make myself others my brother in law. Since I'm going to do a few maybe 3 or 4 I am going to save money.

Guess appearences, one to three other emcess from around my way. No one spectacular. The guess emcess is going to be on a 1 million dollar budget but again I am not going to have but on to three. I believe an album should be all him, and not to many guests not even if you are in the same group. That's why I believe wu as a solo flop. Most solo wu from the past was carried by the whole clan. So I don't want that I want to carry it myself.

I'm not going to be talking about rims, front, street life, or anything else that ahve been over played since the early 90s. I'm not going to promote blackness, but awareness. More like a cause and effect.

Unlike something some else I do want to sale big. You can love all day but at the end of the night love doesn't pay the bills

I estimate that I might have about 2 million if lucky to just chill with. I'm not going to get broke paying off a Rza or large profession. And I have no money coming in off the album that's crazy. Fuck love, I have a woman for that. Fuck love I have a family for that. I have to eat. I spend 3 million I should make 6 million.

Second album, I'll bring on AZ, black thoughts, Kweli, Young Joc and lupe.

Third album Bizzy bone, Inspectah deck, lil jon, rick ross and lyfe and Avant

First album I want it to be all me no guest. Second album is going to be chapter 2. ten albums one book about I'm telling a story. I will retire
    I feel a lot of what you said, granted I never spoke about what I would rhyme about but it wouldn't be about cars, rims and all that bullshit, also I ain't no gangsta so I wouldn't talk about bustin guns either at least not from my perspective.
    All I've ever known is poverty, I don't mean borderline homlesness but just struggling to stay afloat both in the uk where I live and my family in Colombia.
    This is what I would rhyme about, poverty, the struggle,political issues regarding the uk and latin america but also everyday life.

ps. you through me off completely at the end with lil Jon and Rick Ross wtf?

Method Man

i think i'm high

production would done by my boy whos in college and absolutley incredible he hasnt put out any work yet, da beatminerz, khrysis, premo, and just blaze.

MC guest appearances would be teknicklestylez from NJ, oktober zero from BX, stretch dollar from BK, a track with jeru the damaja killah priest, and the last guest apparence would be with kool G rap or GZA whichever one was cheaper

Realness

PRODIGAL SUN

Babygrande Records
    RZA/True masta and bronze beats
    On the album....
    Raekwon
    MF Doom
    Mef
    Redman
    and i might as well have U-god on there 2

The ABBOTT

label-koch