Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My review of Mobb Deep's Hell on Earth, as seen on Amazon.com

drop a gem on em' is crack, and this is back when p was clever

edit: lol

i only bumped like 4-5 tracks on this though....

SHAOLIN STUDENT

Default Go

I'm curious what you think about The Infamous then?

The difference between Mobb Deep and 50 is... that havoc and prodigy actually have some talent. 50 cent hasn't got any talent at all.
    ________
    vapir one vaporizer
    Last edited by beardman; 02-01-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Cilvaring's Father deezGlazedTonsils1981's Avatar

this is by far the dumbest review i have ever read in my life. the album's entire concept is HELL ON EARTH! its their environment Queensbridge. its meant to be a very dark and grimey album. if your looking for an album that will enlighten you then keep looking because this is not it. the album plays out like a horror movie. do you think doggystyle has a shit load of concepts??? how much would you give doggystyle? also, let me guess you would have rated CNN The War Report a 2/5??? get out of here. this reason alone is why rap music sucks so much nowadays because people feel they need to have a certain formula on their albums instead of just banging out good tracks. would you have gave it a better review if the track list was like this:

1 - Intro
    2 - street track
    3 - fuckin bitches track
    4 - party single
    5 - letter to god type track
    6 - street track
    7 - street track
    8 - club song
    9 - b-side to club song (slightly less pop sounding)
    10 - save the children track
    etc.

Hell is a classic imo but I'm a bit bias. One thing you have to keep in mind is how dope Prodigy was back then. He was one of the best in the game and he wasn't spitting just average thug talk back then he was creating crazy visuals and spitting lyrics that stick with you. Who's voice has been sampled more than him? Not to mention Havoc's top notch production.
    Last edited by SCMC8; 02-24-2009 at 09:21 PM.

Wobbling Totem Poles

6th best rap album ever.

that time period was the mobbs best, infamous is classic no doubt, it was the first rap album i fell in love with. but the mobb was on their shit here. listen to right back off of the sunset park soundtrack, hav and p were at their best.

just bumped the whole thing end to end, and theirs nothing bad on this albums 5 out of 5 on beats and rhymes, lol the wu collabs on their, and noyd drops a good verse here and their.

Quote Originally Posted by beardman View Post
    I'm curious what you think about The Infamous then?

The difference between Mobb Deep and 50 is... that havoc and prodigy actually have some talent. 50 cent hasn't got any talent at all.

thats not true at all, and hav and p are legends to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxohK99V5cc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYvvq46rdS8

Quote Originally Posted by Graveyard shift View Post
    This is one of the more controversial reviews. It's drawn a lot of steam and praise from people I've come across. Here's the whole thing:

Title:One of the most overrated albums in rap's history.
    Rating: 2 out of 5 stars.
    Review:

Before getting steamed at the title of my review, take time and read my review in an objective sense. My critical anaylsis of this album was done strictly as objective as possible. I took my time listening to every single "song" on this album, so this isn't an uninformed review. Now to the review.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Hell on Earth, Mobb Deeps third release, came out during the era of the media-fabricated and infamous east-coast-west-coast beef. Throughout the album, you get a sense that the artist where suffucated by the negative climate of the time. The songs and lyrics on this album, in every way, reflect that era. Starting off the album is a deep bass mixed with a dark-drum line instrumental. Havoc and Prodigy lace the beat with self glorifying, tough guy lyrics that accentuate the grimy instrumental. Though this album has 14 tracks, you've be hardpressed to differentiate one from the other if it wasn't for the switch of beat. The level of variation in subject matter on this album is so limited that a review of one tracks lyrics will tell you all you need to know about the album, lyric wise. There are little to no song concepts on this album. Nearly every single track on Hell on Earth is polluted with numerous references to someone getting shot, how much better Prodigy and Havoc are than you, and how they are from Queensbridge, etc. Through the lyrical context of this album, you almost get the sense that Mobb Deep was too consumed with the negative climate of rap at the time. You get the sense that they're lashing out at anyone and everyone that may pose as a potential threat to them. Cuts like "Drop a gem on them" and "Bloodsport" find them verbally attacking the late Tupac Shakur. The lyrics on this album get so rediculous at times that you have to wonder what these guys were thinking. You truely have to sit back and question how these guys could put out track after track of the same tired material. About the only saving grace of this album is the instrumentals. Dark, grimey, and horror movie like, they paint a background of horror and terror. Though good, the instrumentals of this album also start to sound repetitive as you get deeper into the album. After a while, they all start to sound like a cluster of the same stuff.

I'm sorry, but in no way shape or form is this as great of an album as some have stated. Lack of variation in topics, Ignorant, mindless gun and thug brovado give this album no depth. If you're someone that is looking for intelligent lyrics or creative concepts, do yourself a favor and avoid Hell on Earth at all cost.
    lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!! you gotta be some goodie two shoe choir boy who's apart of the gospel team. do yourself a favor and dont review another hiphop classic again.

If you're gonna look at hip hop from this perspective then you could pretty much take the majority of classic albums from the early to mid 90's and drop their classic status down to 2/5. I'll be the first to admit that the lyrics on this album, as on any Mobb Deep album, as on numerous classic hip hop albums, are simple, repetitive, uncreative, and all in all unimpressive. Let's face it, a lot of mc's aren't very bright, thoughtful, deep, or well educated. The result, albums like Hell on Earth where the majority of lyrics are about typical "hood" shit these rappers experience or witness. If you can't accept that then you're gonna miss out on a lot of great hip hop.

Cilvaring's Father deezGlazedTonsils1981's Avatar

I'm sorry but i had to come back in here because everytime i pass this thread on here i wanna throw up. you have completely ruined my entire year wth this retarded review. i mean come on man whats the matter with you? something tells me you reviewed it like this for the sake of being different. either that or you should have your ears chopped off and pounded up your ass!

oh boy I was pretty harsh in the last post. nonetheless, this was The Infamous Part 2.

-

I agree with Noel411 but I like Mobb Deep. I was disappointed with Hell On Earth because I only liked a few songs. They dissed 2Pac hard on Drop A Gem On Em and I like Bloodsport, More Trife Life and Hell On Earth. The Infamous is their best album.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

-

I like the album picture of Mobb Deep on the back of the album and Havoc's face is so dark, you can barely see him LOL. I like Prodigy pointing his hand like a gun in the picture.

The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

I agree with Noel411 but I like Mobb Deep. I was disappointed with Hell On Earth because I only liked a few songs. They dissed 2Pac hard on Drop A Gem On Em and I like Bloodsport, More Trife Life and Hell On Earth. The Infamous is their best album.
    wtf I usually agree with your opinions except this. pretty much every track on HOE was fire.

and anyone crticizing about the subject matter needs to ask themselves why they're listening to hip hop music in the first place.