Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobb Deep - Murda Muzik

Quote Originally Posted by ERICHWV View Post
    Best Mobb album ever! No tracks as hot as your favs off Hell On Earth or The Infamous, but much more consistant. Almost every track is bangin!
    Co-sign.

This is a personal classic for me.

Too bad they suck now.

good album but not a classic. I felt Pac got into their heads and fell off abit with this album and now they've fell off completely today. i could care less though 'cause infamous and hell on earth will never get old.

good album though it's not on the same level as the 2 classics before it.. there are a few joints that bring the overall feel of the album down such as "I'm Going Out", "Let a Ho be a Ho", "Can't Fuck Wit", etc. but at the same time it got it's fair share of bangers (including "The Realest", "Adrenaline", "What's Ya Poison" and "Where Ya Heart At"). definitely more bangers than weak one though, i'd give it a 8/10.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

PRODIGAL SUN

love it...classic no doubt

best tracks lookin back;
    thug muzic
    murda muzic
    wher eya heart at
    adrenaline
    whats ya poison
    streets raised me
    its mine
    quiet storm
    im going out
    allustrious

damn, with that many tracks being amazing...how can you not like this lp? and there just the songs i remember off the top of my head, havent heard it in a long while

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

Let's see what do I think about the album one year later.

TRACK BY TRACK

01. Intro
    Weird track. Havoc experimenting with creepy sounds and mafioso horns... Could be better.
    3.5/5

02. Streets Raised Me (feat. Big Noyd & Chinky; prod. Havoc)
    Yes, it's banger. Havoc made a mellow somber beat, a nice backdrop for urban nightmare lyrics are about, Havoc verse being best.
    4.75/5

03. What's Ya Poison? (feat. Cormega; prod. Havoc)
    Song is obviously meant as continuation of sound and lyricism from Hell on Earth, with classical scratchy sample and mafioso lyrics, but it just doesn't come as effective. Cormega stole the show on this one.
    3.75/5

04. Spread Love (prod. Havoc)
    Dramatic beat and dramatic "don't-fuck-with-me" lyrics; usually I wouldn't mind for such a song, but Mobb at that point was still able to suck a listener into their paranoid world.
    3.75/5

05. Let a Ho Be a Ho (prod. Havoc)
    Whoa, here we have the first sign where would they go with Infamy: beat is still creepy, but has an obvious R'n'B influence. Song is just straight up cruel - exactly what I like about Mobb.
    4.5/5

06. I'm Going Out (feat. Lil Cease; prod. Havoc)
    Another R&B influenced beat that captured their darkness but didn't have the edge. Another badass lyricism - thanks got they still had enough force to make it credible.
    4/5

07. Allustrious (prod. Havoc)
    Finally a classic beat by Havoc - all elements are here, creepyness, power, darkness and violence. Could be used better, though, as Mobb here stays limited on talking shit. Good talking shit, but still just talking shit.
    4.5/5

08. Adrenaline (prod. Havoc)
    Beat is again in Hell on Earth vibe, but simply not to same effect. Not quite helped by uninspired lyrics either.
    3.5/5

09. Where Ya From (feat. 8Ball, prod. T-Mix)
    Beat is almost straight-up R&B - too soft, too soft. Again we have lots of shit-talk - where 8Ball managed to outshine Mobb. Not impressed.
    3/5

10. Quiet Storm (prod. Havoc)
    Most people call it classic, but I simply could never get into this song. Beat lacks energy, misuses "White Lines" sample (Hav should never use it in the first place, it's just not his steez) and Prodigy spat a rap that fails to be as dark and real and dope as his best shit in the same vibe.
    3.5/5

11. Where Ya Heart At? (prod. Havoc)
    Another pillow-soft beat by Havoc. I don't have nothing against soft beats, but Havoc doesn't know to do them, period. He used wind chimes - goddammit, straight Puffy, this beat could easily be on No Way Out. Thanks God that they dropped some heart-felt shit, soulful, sad.
    4.25/5

12. Big Noyd Interlude
    Wasted space.
    2.5/5

13. Can't Fuck Wit (feat. Raekwon; prod. Havoc)
    Mobb Deep spat some uninspired, phrase-filled, formulaic shit over beat where Havoc experimented with staccato synths and failed at that. Got so badly outshined by Raekwon's complex storytelling it was almost painful to listen.
    3.5/5

14. Thug Muzik (feat. Infamous Mobb & Chinky; prod. The Alchemist)
    Over Alchemist's somber but somewhat empty beat we have a posse cut that was clearly meant to be a sequel to "Shook Ones" (check last two Prodigy's lines). Nah, that's not it.
    3.5/5

15. Murda Muzik (prod. Havoc)
    Decent long verse by Prodigy over boring beat.
    3.5/5

16. The Realest (feat. Kool G Rap; prod. The Alchemist)
    Another time Mobb got badly outshined on their own album. Beat? Nah, skippable.
    3/5

17. U.S.A. (Aiight Then) (prod. Epitome, Shamello & Buddah)
    One more time: uninspired verses over watered-down and empty beat.
    3/5

18. It's Mine (feat. Nas; prod. Havoc & Prodigy)
    Havoc tried to duplicate G.O.D. Pt. III by using Scarface soundtrack sample again; he didn't succeed, but finally provided an intriguing beat after almost a half of the album filled with yawners. I'd enjoy lyrics too - if they didn't get outshined AGAIN. What a sorrow.
    4/5

19. Quiet Storm (Remix) (feat. Lil' Kim; prod. Havoc)
    Much better than the original. And not because of Kim.
    4/5

TOTAL: 3.75/5 a.k.a. 7.5/10

FINAL IMPRESSION

You know something is wrong when almost every guest spot on your album manages to outshine you.

I know, it's unfair to expect Mobb to repeat Infamous for the second time, but this album is clearly the transition from "Hell on Earth" Mobb to "Infamy" Mobb.

The most noticeable is change in production: Havoc clearly lost his edge and his grit. From wicked, scratchy, lo-fi samples of Hell on Earth he came into spacey keys and smooth synths on this album (with few honorable exceptions): it often resulted in uninspiring and sluggish soundscape. Usage of outside producers is also a mistake - as their beats got even weaker than Hav's.

As for lyricism, of course it's nice to hear Mobb get angry at the wicked hood ("Streets Raised Me"), of course it's dope to hear them sounding as cynical, mean bastards again ("Let a Ho Be a Ho"), it's even better to hear them actually showing emotions and regrets ("Where Ya Heart At"). So why is the album so damn filled with... yeah, filler, with verses repeating washed-out Mobb phrases and non-credible threats? It's even worse when paired with a guest spot on the album, because only Big Noyd and Lil' Kim didn't manage to steal the show on the album. Noticeable is that they appeared on actually inspired tracks. Yeah, Mobb was still technically powerful, but on the album is obvious lack of inspiration. When you know that they spent $1.5 million and two and a half years it sounds even more wrong.

So, to put it shortly, album showcases Mobb on top of their success, in the moment when they were still a mighty and revered crew, but it's obvious that their grip started to loosen here.

Yes. It's where it all started to go wrong.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

^Nice review. Disagree on Quiet Storm though, i love that song. I think this is more a 7/10 album, its good but.... well Slim T pretty much summed it all up

street raised me is so deep, one of the best mobb deep song ever

if the cut songs woulda been on the retail lp, this shit woulda been even more bangin

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by Slim T View Post
    Let's see what do I think about the album one year later.

TRACK BY TRACK

01. Intro
    Weird track. Havoc experimenting with creepy sounds and mafioso horns... Could be better.
    3.5/5

Yes, it's banger. Havoc made a mellow somber beat, a nice backdrop for urban nightmare lyrics are about, Havoc verse being best.
    4.75/5

Song is obviously meant as continuation of sound and lyricism from Hell on Earth, with classical scratchy sample and mafioso lyrics, but it just doesn't come as effective. Cormega stole the show on this one.
    3.75/5

Dramatic beat and dramatic "don't-fuck-with-me" lyrics; usually I wouldn't mind for such a song, but Mobb at that point was still able to suck a listener into their paranoid world.
    3.75/5

Whoa, here we have the first sign where would they go with Infamy: beat is still creepy, but has an obvious R'n'B influence. Song is just straight up cruel - exactly what I like about Mobb.
    4.5/5

06. I'm Going Out (feat. Lil Cease; prod. Havoc)
    Another R&B influenced beat that captured their darkness but didn't have the edge. Another badass lyricism - thanks got they still had enough force to make it credible.
    4/5

Finally a classic beat by Havoc - all elements are here, creepyness, power, darkness and violence. Could be used better, though, as Mobb here stays limited on talking shit. Good talking shit, but still just talking shit.
    4.5/5

Beat is again in Hell on Earth vibe, but simply not to same effect. Not quite helped by uninspired lyrics either.
    3.5/5

Beat is almost straight-up R&B - too soft, too soft. Again we have lots of shit-talk - where 8Ball managed to outshine Mobb. Not impressed.
    3/5

Most people call it classic, but I simply could never get into this song. Beat lacks energy, misuses "White Lines" sample (Hav should never use it in the first place, it's just not his steez) and Prodigy spat a rap that fails to be as dark and real and dope as his best shit in the same vibe.
    3.5/5

Another pillow-soft beat by Havoc. I don't have nothing against soft beats, but Havoc doesn't know to do them, period. He used wind chimes - goddammit, straight Puffy, this beat could easily be on No Way Out. Thanks God that they dropped some heart-felt shit, soulful, sad.
    4.25/5

12. Big Noyd Interlude
    Wasted space.
    2.5/5

Mobb Deep spat some uninspired, phrase-filled, formulaic shit over beat where Havoc experimented with staccato synths and failed at that. Got so badly outshined by Raekwon's complex storytelling it was almost painful to listen.
    3.5/5

Over Alchemist's somber but somewhat empty beat we have a posse cut that was clearly meant to be a sequel to "Shook Ones" (check last two Prodigy's lines). Nah, that's not it.
    3.5/5

Decent long verse by Prodigy over boring beat.
    3.5/5

Another time Mobb got badly outshined on their own album. Beat? Nah, skippable.
    3/5

One more time: uninspired verses over watered-down and empty beat.
    3/5

Havoc tried to duplicate G.O.D. Pt. III by using Scarface soundtrack sample again; he didn't succeed, but finally provided an intriguing beat after almost a half of the album filled with yawners. I'd enjoy lyrics too - if they didn't get outshined AGAIN. What a sorrow.
    4/5

19. Quiet Storm (Remix) (feat. Lil' Kim; prod. Havoc)
    Much better than the original. And not because of Kim.
    4/5

TOTAL: 3.75/5 a.k.a. 7.5/10

FINAL IMPRESSION

You know something is wrong when almost every guest spot on your album manages to outshine you.

I know, it's unfair to expect Mobb to repeat Infamous for the second time, but this album is clearly the transition from "Hell on Earth" Mobb to "Infamy" Mobb.

The most noticeable is change in production: Havoc clearly lost his edge and his grit. From wicked, scratchy, lo-fi samples of Hell on Earth he came into spacey keys and smooth synths on this album (with few honorable exceptions): it often resulted in uninspiring and sluggish soundscape. Usage of outside producers is also a mistake - as their beats got even weaker than Hav's.

As for lyricism, of course it's nice to hear Mobb get angry at the wicked hood ("Streets Raised Me"), of course it's dope to hear them sounding as cynical, mean bastards again ("Let a Ho Be a Ho"), it's even better to hear them actually showing emotions and regrets ("Where Ya Heart At"). So why is the album so damn filled with... yeah, filler, with verses repeating washed-out Mobb phrases and non-credible threats? It's even worse when paired with a guest spot on the album, because only Big Noyd and Lil' Kim didn't manage to steal the show on the album. Noticeable is that they appeared on actually inspired tracks. Yeah, Mobb was still technically powerful, but on the album is obvious lack of inspiration. When you know that they spent $1.5 million and two and a half years it sounds even more wrong.

So, to put it shortly, album showcases Mobb on top of their success, in the moment when they were still a mighty and revered crew, but it's obvious that their grip started to loosen here.

Yes. It's where it all started to go wrong.
    man that was the WORST review ive read on this album. THE WORST!

how can you say the title track had a boring beat? go back and listen again, that shit bangs mega hard. And P's verse was intense. "Thug muzic" also had an amazing beat..loved the shit out of it...you called it 'empty'? that was a classic piano loop..fucks wrong with your ears?

this deserves much more than 7.5/10...atleast a 9

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

What's funniest about this asshole's post is that I could repeat his exact post just with mine opinions and it would be as valid as that shit.

Yeah, Thug Muzik has an empty beat. As for Murda Muzik, it sounds better when I listen to it separately, but buried so deeply in the album is just boring.

And believe me that nothing is wrong with my ears. Something is wrong with yur head, though, if you hate on everyone that has opinion different than yours. Learn some communication skillz, go out, find some friends... Yameen?
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

PRODIGAL SUN

lol cmon God...its the net...dont really wana make too many friends on this thing

fair nuff thats your oppinion..but the album deserves better than what you wrote.

YOUR KING OF WUTANGCORP. Tony Bandana's Avatar

dosnt this one "The Realest " with Kool G ap on it?

yo compared to most the junk thatz out now..this shit is practically claassic,

i like almost everything Mobb Deep puts out or Havoc produces,

whatever NY hip hop is where my hearts at.
    ONGH!!!! SHIT STINK BIG GATORZ , MY DETROIT PLAYAZ ONGH!!!

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

I was looking at an IGN fourm, there were about 4 cats that said "Infamy" was Mobb's best album LOL haha
    but anyways I listened to this album the whole way through, a quick review
    01. Intro

4/5

4.5/5

4/5

4/5

06. I'm Going Out (feat. Lil Cease; prod. Havoc).
    4/5

4/5

4/5

4/5

4.5/5

4/5

12. Big Noyd Interlude
    Wasted space.

4/5

4/5

4/5

4.5/5

3/5

5/5

19. Quiet Storm (Remix)
    5/5

I'll give this a 4/5. Last consistent album from Mobb. I'm listening to Infamy now...lol haha damn Mobb.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

A ho gonna be a ho, a nigga gonna be a nigga...Fuckin love that track and the whole album. The album is another Mobb Deep banger. A-

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post

01. Intro

4/5

4.5/5

4/5

4/5

06. I'm Going Out (feat. Lil Cease; prod. Havoc).
    4/5

4/5

4/5

4/5

4.5/5

4/5

12. Big Noyd Interlude
    Wasted space.

4/5

4/5

4/5

4.5/5

3/5

5/5

19. Quiet Storm (Remix)
    5/5

I'll give this a 4/5. Last consistent album from Mobb.
    This. But "Let A Ho Be A Ho" is 5/5 for me. Straight heeeaat. I feel like such a man when I listen to that shit. And how he plays the voice message of that bitch saying "Damn nigga, you know I hate when you shove that dick down my throat like that, but I love you boo." Haha

And their album "Infamy" has some ridiculous bangers, ("My Gats Spittin," for example) but yes, not as good as Murda Muzik.