Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Are Americans So Close Minded When.....

FRESH FISH

yo well for one bein influenced by ali g i just cant take any british mc seriously

i cant be listenin to somthin i have to decipher be it another accent, irrelevant slang, or fuckin retard intelligent lyrics... keith murray was nice with big words but ppl try to make big words into even bigger shit... and its like yo.. chill

Thats a fair enough statement but what about hip hop from other reigons of america? I mean people there have different accents also so in that respect whats the difference?
    You know I tried to analyze my own reaction to it like "Why the fuck does it bother you so much?" ya know? I think its how yall pronounce your vowels. They tend to hold 'em too long or something. It's different than the difference between Cali to NY to Texas.

Support the Real. Click HERE

theres some nice uk mcs man Klashnekoff, Jehst etc

Quote Originally Posted by nychibahawk View Post
    yo well for one bein influenced by ali g i just cant take any british mc seriously

i cant be listenin to somthin i have to decipher be it another accent, irrelevant slang, or fuckin retard intelligent lyrics... keith murray was nice with big words but ppl try to make big words into even bigger shit... and its like yo.. chill
    You lost me with this post, wtf has Ali G got to do with anything?
    1. he is not an mc and 2. he is not even a real person.

Keith Murray is american so whats with that?

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Unseen View Post
    You know I tried to analyze my own reaction to it like "Why the fuck does it bother you so much?" ya know? I think its how yall pronounce your vowels. They tend to hold 'em too long or something. It's different than the difference between Cali to NY to Texas.
    So it is simply a question of the accent, nothing else? the Beats the lyrics?

I used to think maybe the british slang just went over peoples heads, I could understand that for sure.

Method Man

So it is simply a question of the accent, nothing else? the Beats the lyrics?

I used to think maybe the british slang just went over peoples heads, I could understand that for sure.
    The beats is good, no accents lol. Slang does play a part, to me it just kinda ties in w/ the accent, but its more accent than slang. You have to use shit in context w/ hip-hop that's outta region even if you stayin in the states so that's not that big a deal to me.

And you know, I dont have the same hang-ups with British rock, Led Zepplin, the Beatles, etc people loose their accents when they sing. So in short, its gotta be the accents.

The beats is good, no accents lol. Slang does play a part, to me it just kinda ties in w/ the accent, but its more accent than slang. You have to use shit in context w/ hip-hop that's outta region even if you stayin in the states so that's not that big a deal to me.

And you know, I dont have the same hang-ups with British rock, Led Zepplin, the Beatles, etc people loose their accents when they sing. So in short, its gotta be the accents.
    I always thought that too about singers, british R&B for example does quite well in the states.

Although im sure people wouldn't take it to well if british mc's rhymed in an american accent which is very easy to do given our influence.
    Yet Cilvaringz who is from Holland rhymes in an american accent yet people say nothing and just accept it because he is wu-tang.

Method Man

Shittin on E-Gangstas WuTangWarrior's Avatar

theres many reasons y man.....and some of them dont concern me, this is what i think that prevents Americans the most-

- We're self-centered, we wanna hear someones thats from our Country/Area and representing it in their music.
    - Most people wanna hear shit from the streets... no one really knows much about the streets of London or w/e.
    - We might find accents funny.
    - People probably think that these Euro rappers haven't been through shit and they're fake.
    - Euro rappers have about the same skill as the underground American rappers, both of which the majority of people in America dont really care about much anymore.

theres many more but im a lil tired, ill check this thread in the morn

I always thought that too about singers, british R&B for example does quite well in the states.

Although im sure people wouldn't take it to well if british mc's rhymed in an american accent which is very easy to do given our influence.
    Yet Cilvaringz who is from Holland rhymes in an american accent yet people say nothing and just accept it because he is wu-tang.
    I don't see it like that. I wouldn't give a shit if a British guy looses his accent when he raps. I don't think anyone else here would either. I'd think it'd bother other Brits more than it would Americans.

the accents throw everyone off point blank

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

http://www.myspace.com/theblacksunn1 http://theblacksunn.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by WuTangWarrior View Post
    theres many reasons y man.....and some of them dont concern me, this is what i think that prevents Americans the most-

- We're self-centered, we wanna hear someones thats from our Country/Area and representing it in their music.
    - Most people wanna hear shit from the streets... no one really knows much about the streets of London or w/e.
    - We might find accents funny.
    - People probably think that these Euro rappers haven't been through shit and they're fake. Yet alot of the mainstream american rappers are fake, this seems ironic.
    - Euro rappers have about the same skill as the underground American rappers, both of which the majority of people in America dont really care about much anymore.

theres many more but im a lil tired, ill check this thread in the morn
    At least you are honest, but yeah come back and give a proper rundown.

Method Man

1. I dont understand how you can like hip hop that you can't understand, master of ceremony, youre supposed to be able to hear and listen to what theyre saying. I'll nod my head and maybe they have good cadence and whatever, but youre supposed to be able to understand it.

2. I tend to have a bad view on euro hip hop fans. Too many of them in my experience, even the "real" hip hop fans, think youre being hip hop if you rock baggy clothes, wear headphones around, and say peace. Tends to slant my view of europe and hip hop being together. Although i'm sure there's some real emcees over there, i'm not inclined to listen to them.

I don't see it like that. I wouldn't give a shit if a British guy looses his accent when he raps. I don't think anyone else here would either. I'd think it'd bother other Brits more than it would Americans.
    Yep if mc's here use an american accent they would get ripped apart, over here people are very adamant about keeping it british, even if that means developing our own style of music based on hip hop....It's called Grime

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah View Post
    the accents throw everyone off point blank
    This seems to be the barrier.

Method Man

What is Grime really? What seperates it from Hip Hop?

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

http://www.myspace.com/theblacksunn1 http://theblacksunn.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by maestro wooz View Post
    1. I dont understand how you can like hip hop that you can't understand, master of ceremony, youre supposed to be able to hear and listen to what theyre saying. I'll nod my head and maybe they have good cadence and whatever, but youre supposed to be able to understand it.

2. I tend to have a bad view on euro hip hop fans. Too many of them in my experience, even the "real" hip hop fans, think youre being hip hop if you rock baggy clothes, wear headphones around, and say peace. Tends to slant my view of europe and hip hop being together. Although i'm sure there's some real emcees over there, i'm not inclined to listen to them.
    Have you been to any country in europe?

Method Man