Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Are Americans So Close Minded When.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah View Post
    What is Grime really? What seperates it from Hip Hop?
    This is Grime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRylU...elated&search=

Heres a proper vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E39RC...elated&search=

More grime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrtvB...elated&search=
    Last edited by TAURO; 11-16-2006 at 12:43 AM.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Yeah, just repeating a few points already brought up here... If i can't understand it, I'm not gonna like it, so that rules out all Euro hip hop except UK. And UK shit, I hate the accent, I hate the british way of speaking, it just sounds really corny when they rap. I kno yall don't agree, but there's nothing that could change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TAURO DA GRIM LATIN View Post
    Have you been to any country in europe?

i have actually, but most of my observations are made from this website and others i post on. It's a quite limited insight ill admit. But it's the same thing euros have on their knowledge of hip hop. Music videos and what they see on commercials. In my opinion there's a certain disconnect if what you know is what you see on t.v.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
    Yeah, just repeating a few points already brought up here... If i can't understand it, I'm not gonna like it, so that rules out all Euro hip hop except UK. And UK shit, I hate the accent, I hate the british way of speaking, it just sounds really corny when they rap. I kno yall don't agree, but there's nothing that could change my mind.
    You know what the problem I think Bedlam, Americans have been fed too much british romantic comedies and Austin Powers, this shit needs to change, im from london and I can tell you now that it is a city with a lot of poverty and crime, all that hugh grant business is bullshit, there are ghettos here in every corner of the city, alot of mc's that spit truly come from these deprived areas. I think it's the image you get when you hear us rap more than anything else, thats what bothers you really.

Method Man

Quote Originally Posted by maestro wooz View Post
    i have actually, but most of my observations are made from this website and others i post on. It's a quite limited insight ill admit. But it's the same thing euros have on their knowledge of hip hop. Music videos and what they see on commercials. In my opinion there's a certain disconnect if what you know is what you see on t.v.
    But the internet allows you to see everything, if you check uk hip hop is all over you tube.

I probably know more than you think regarding hip hop from the states, mainly because the net allows me to keep up with the latest.

Method Man

would you consider yourself an average euro hip hop fan?

i think i'm high

You know what the problem I think Bedlam, Americans have been fed too much british romantic comedies and Austin Powers, this shit needs to change, im from london and I can tell you now that it is a city with a lot of poverty and crime, all that hugh grant business is bullshit, there are ghettos here in every corner of the city, alot of mc's that spit truly come from these deprived areas. I think it's the image you get when you hear us rap more than anything else, thats what bothers you really.

well in america these days nobody really cares about street credibility...

Realness

some americans are close minded when it comes to everything...like for example being from Australia 70% of americans id come across on the internet think that Kangaroos are everywhere,that there basically no crime in Australia and its all white people or something...lol.I guess they are just too caught up in themselves and how great USA is that they dont bother with shit from other countries.

everybody wants america to care about their country. The father has no favorite child, we treat you all the same.

i've got alot of respect for that grime shit though. I wasn't feeling it too much, but thats what this shit is about. You dont just bite some other countries culture, you take that shit, flip the script, put your own imprint on it, and go places with it. Grime is okay with me.

Quote Originally Posted by maestro wooz View Post
    would you consider yourself an average euro hip hop fan?
    I don't even know what that means?

Method Man

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    well in america these days nobody really cares about street credibility...
    I doubt that some how since peoples intergrity is constantly being challenged over there like when the game was exposed for being on a dating show and not being a real blood and what not.

Method Man

i think i'm high

I doubt that some how since peoples intergrity is constantly being challenged over there like when the game was exposed for being on a dating show and not being a real blood and what not.

oh ras kass gimick....please get the fuck outta here, if you're not over here then dont act like you know....

Realness

the only "rappers" that get any kind of exposure over here are acts like lady sovereign and the streets, neither of which are very interesting. i don't have any doubt that there's alot of good hiphop coming out of europe, the only serious mc that i've heard from over there was mc solaar, but i couldn't even find his cd here in the us. on the other hand, there's a couple european mc's who live in america who are well liked and respected (i'm thinking primarily of slick rick and mf doom, but there's probably more).

so to answer your question, it's easy (especially for americans, since there's so much going on here) to shit on things that they don't know anything about. it's fucked up but that's just what happens.
    Last edited by sonny getz; 11-16-2006 at 12:39 PM.

WU TANG RULES AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    oh ras kass gimick....please get the fuck outta here, if you're not over here then dont act like you know....
    Why the fuck are you getting so confrontational on me? maybe I used a bad example but nearly everything I see on mc's in america is someone trying to expose the other one as a fake, like in freestyles and other shit. My intention is not to try and change your mind into likeing euro/british hip hop but to silmply find out why americans choose to ignore it for the most part. So in conclusion if you can't have a straight conversation the stay the fuck out of this thread ok?.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-Matic View Post
    I liked that one, happen to have an mp3?

However, I found those grime videos (I checked the first two, for about a minute into each) completely unlistenable.

I remember a while back I downloaded off a thread on here some Jehst songs, I think Roots Manuvaand a few other songs. I just didn't like them, simple and plain. Not saying they lack talent, they don't. Just a difference in taste. There's numerous of factors outside of music that would cause fans from different areas of the same music to like/dislike the same song (structure of culture, other forms of entertainment, family, etc.).

I've got a question for you though, I think you could answer it. What's the difference between the different accents in England?

I'm pretty sure you could distinguish a southern American accent by a northeastern one, but I couldn't do the same of a Brit's accent.
    Ok, that track by Arms Length is dope but unfortunatly I don't have it, I wish I did but it has eluded me for a couple of years, be sure that when I get it I will pass it along to you.

Regarding the grime music....lol I will be honest even I couldn't understand what they where saying, the freestyle was one thing but the second video unfortunatly was a in poor condition but I couldn't find a better version but imo it was the best example of what grime is like. For the record I don't like grime, there are a few tracks that I like but for me it's hip hop all the way.

Regarding the accents yes I can tell the difference between the different types in the states but that is because over here we are exposed to a lot more american things than vise versa.

I think you would definatly be able to tell the difference between the accents here, you just think you don't because you haven't been exposed to that many, if you came here you could easily.

Method Man