Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Why Are Americans So Close Minded When.....

WAIT! SLICK RICKS A EUROPEAN RAPPER! lol it kind just restruck me, and his accent is the BOMB DIGGITY, so there, we're not close minded, you just need to all sound like slick rick.lol

Why do ppl generalize? its so closed minded of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TAURO DA GRIM LATIN View Post
    ^^^But there is the internet, you tube acts as a great way to view foreign vids while places like ebay enable you to get hold of such albums.
    Then I guess the internet isnt as much of a widely used tool as people think when discovering new music.

Regardless of what the actual statistic is, more people still get their albums from their local stores rather than ordering them online.

Fearless Vampire Killer UNCLE RUCKUS's Avatar

I´m an american from nyc; and I´m open minded enough I guess. I like Roots Manuva alot; some TaskForce some others. The accent is definately an acquired taste. Musically I think there are alot of talented producers/DJs from europe/asia/africa I know DJ Krush is a genius; DJ Flip from Ireland is pretty nice...

i think i'm high

yea word up i know more DJs/Producers from outside of america, they hold it down for sure kwu brings up a good point

Realness

If you enjoy itthen thump it ifyou don't dump it. I don't look for people to accept my favorite artist. I will tell you this your music isn't all that easy to get. I'm not going to go out an dbuy an album that has some Euro dude on it and he say he spit flames. It will take more than one album for me to like you. You have to get my attention with more than just a song. anyone can do one hot song. But and ALbum? How about atleast 75% of your entire collection. ican over look your accent it's your message. I don't want to hear you spite about something that was pre spit before. New ideas, new everything. I dont' care about the Euro streets, I have to live in the American streets thankyou very much. I don't care about your struggle if it's not idenical to mind. I don't care about what you have to say if I can't listen to the song and see tha tyou are going through what I am going through or I can use your lyrics as a means of confort in the storm. That's why I don't like American Crime raps to much because I"m not a criminal, don''t do drugs,a nd don't gangbang but I am Pro black and I do like to see my people grow...
    Favorite artist In order
    Az, Nas, Eightball & Mjg, Talib Kweli, Ghostface killah, Gza, and Krazyie bone

Favorite albums, Aziatic: it was written< on top of the world(CLASSIC), Reflections eternal,(classic) Supreme Clientel(classic), Gza(Liquid Swords) and Thug on tha line

When I started this thread my intention was not for it to become a we are better than you retarded debate, nor was it my intention to convince the americans here to start liking euro/british hip hop. I simply wanted to know why americans seem to never give outside hip hop a chance but also given the chance to hear some of the better stuff coming from the uk, what did they think? and could you see yourself maybe getting into it?

It had been stated here by many people that the main reason americans (well you lot anyway) find it difficult to vibe with is because of the accent which to me is a fair point and I know exactly what they mean, even here living in london I can't really listen to hip hop from other reigons in the uk BECAUSE of the accent, it does put you off.

Others have stated that it's because americans are so self absorbed in their own shit that they just have no time to bother with anything else. Yet americans fully accept our Rock,R&B, Dance and Pop music no problem. It could be argued that through singing the accents are lost therefore making things more accesible for the american markets.

One point which a couple of people have brought up which to me seemed completley retarded was that they would not listen to euro hip hop because they are not talking about their ghettos with their american problems..........well let me ask people this, if that is the case why do you go and watch movies like City Of God? Is that not the story of ghettos in another country with their own problems? why give a shit?

Poverty and crime is the same around the world, ghettos may come in different shapes and sizes but deep down they are all the same.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

I've heard Lily Allen's pop album called "Alright Still"...her singles have topped the charts in the Uk, and top 40 in some other European countries, but in North America she is non-existant.

Although her style is kinda goofy....she was still kinda funny and probably has a good teen fanbase in Uk. I liked the reggae fusion in the music.

I only heard the album because my boy that works for EMI/Virgin records had some copies and he was selling to stores. He said that its too bad shes not going to be discovered in North America. I don't think I have seen that album in the store...only a box in his trunk.

^^^Sorry but I have no idea who she is.

Method Man

^^^Sorry but I have no idea who she is.
    She was probably on the radio non-stop in the U.K....you probably heard her singles when you were out and about in public but just didnt know her name.

Quote Originally Posted by Prolifical ENG View Post
    I thought its because the retail hip-hop albums are hard to find in stores in North America from Europe....only Rock mostly...UK rock is sick.

Its the same thing why almost no one listened to southern hip-hop other than the southern states....those old eightball, convicts, al kapone, k-rino etc were hard to find in the stores anywhere else.

Even where I live, I wanted some Ray Cash and Tech n9ne...they dont sell them here around Toronto....when I go to a record store in Michigan, Ohio, or upstate NY, they have all of the midwest artists.
    in ny theres alot of morons that loves southern shit

the south is destroying the rap thing, and dont call me a hater its true, who the hell down south spit real lyrics ?

Quote Originally Posted by oLd_KaiNry View Post
    in ny theres alot of morons that loves southern shit

the south is destroying the rap thing, and dont call me a hater its true, who the hell down south spit real lyrics ?
    they werent always fond of the south. no because it was hated...just not enough exposure in ny.

then i guess the question now is will Eurpean hip-hop ever get its chance to shine? some might predict right away no...but we never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Prolifical ENG View Post
    She was probably on the radio non-stop in the U.K....you probably heard her singles when you were out and about in public but just didnt know her name.
    To be honest I never listen to the radio thanks to all the bullshit that gets played, also about a couple of years ago I vowed never to pay attention to the charts again, they had some real bullshit even for pop music, since then i've kind of just blocked it out and im all the happy for it.

I don't mean to make myself sound like im musicly recluse because im not I do enjoy lots of different types of music but it has to have some meaning.

I might of heard her music out and about but im just bad at remembering music I don't really feel.

Method Man

To be honest I never listen to the radio thanks to all the bullshit that gets played, also about a couple of years ago I vowed never to pay attention to the charts again, they had some real bullshit even for pop music, since then i've kind of just blocked it out and im all the happy for it.

I don't mean to make myself sound like im musicly recluse because im not I do enjoy lots of different types of music but it has to have some meaning.

I might of heard her music out and about but im just bad at remembering music I don't really feel.
    regardless of what you think about the radio, the parellel case still remains that there are reasons why she only blew up in Europe.

But of course there have been stars that blew up in UK in the past....so they could still get their turn.

How big did Craig David get in america?

Method Man