Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Best west coast albums...

-

I also like Fatlip of The Pharcyde's The Loneliest Punk album. That's a slept on album. I wish he would do some more solo albums. He's a funny dude.

THA REAL O.G.

Default Droppin' Knowledge: What _REALLY Went Down?

Aside from me posting rare and out of print west coast must-haves, I am going to take this time to drop some knowledge on what _really went down. I am going to start with some Tupac and general Death Row facts, next to some Murder Was The Case soundtrack facts, some Dogg Food facts, then to the good stuff These are quite accurate and not well-known--only known to those involved.

General Death Row and Tupac Facts
    01. The night Tupac was shot in 1996, Craig Mack performed at Club 662 and announced he had left Bad Boy Records and signed with Death Row East. Run-D.M.C. also performed that night.

02. Death Row East was going to be ran by Eric B. (who also has a son with Virginya Slimm).

03. The Death Row East logo was going to be the man from the original logo but standing with the chair in the background. The man would be holding up one arm to symbolise the likeliness of the statue of liberty.

04. Dr. Dre was being phased out before Tupac arrived. Tupac's arrival and him using Dre's new single California Love was the explatation point on Dre's Death Row control.

05. When N.I.N.A. came to Death Row, she brought Natina Reed with her. She was the "princess" Suge referred to her at one point.

06. When Tupac died, many speculated that he was ripped off by Death Row Records. The cars given to Tupac were not in his name due to the fact that rappers and celebrities on his level do not keep cars for over a year; they always get something new. So Death Row had deals with car dealerships in Beverly Hills that would bring cars over as they arrived. None knew that Tupac was going to die, so why would he be given a car that he would only drive for 4-5 months? Recording time (studio), music videos and advances are all forms of payment or is deducted from your revenue. Tupac shot a shit load of videos and recorded constantly. He would also call the office and would be given envelopes duct taped closed with $100,000.00 numerous times a week. When Tupac died, Interscope called Afeni and gave her a check for $3,000,000 that they claimed that they were "saving for Tupac".

07. R U Still Down? was an album Interscope was trying to release for years. When Interscope was sued by Jive Records for R. Kelly's role on the Sparkle album, they settled out of court. Part of that settlement included R U Still Down?. That's how Jive got that album; however, Tupac's Death Row contract clearly stated Suge would own that album. To this day, Suge says that's "his shit". Can't disagree.

08. Tupac and Suge would attend house parties in Compton on a weekly basis. The photo from Too Gangsta For Radio is from one of those parties. There are boxes of "sex" photos of Tupac and others with girls from these parties. These photos were seized by the FBI when the office was raided when Suge got out of jail.

09. Wack Deuce, Danny Boy and a few other younger artists were being bred as the next generation in 1996 by Suge.

10. Dead Man Walkin' was originally going to be titled M.O.B..

11. Suge is working on a photo book containing nothing but candid never-before-seen photos.

“Murder Was The Case” Album Facts
    01. In the early stages of the album, it was to originally feature 12 tracks all by Tha Dogg Pound members and was to be produced by Dr. Dre. When Suge got a hold of the idea, he basically changed the whole B-Side and put his artists (Jodeci, Youg Soilders, Danny Boy etc.) in the mix.
    Source: Lil' C-style

02. This early version of Murder Was The Case contains “Who Got Some Gangsta Shit” By Slip Capone and CPO.
    Source: Snoopafly

03. Murder Was The Case (first Draft Retail): When Suge started getting serious about the project, he released posters promoting the soundtrack. On these posters, the featured artists on the album had extra names including Tupac, Swoop Gee, Lady Of Rage, Li Bow Bow, Papoose, Graveyard Crew, Michel’le. The poster roster did not include DJ Quik or Slip Capone and CPO.

“Dogg Food” Album Facts
    01. Original title: “After All This, What Do U Have?”

02. Daz recorded nearly 500 songs during the Dogg Food sessions.
    Source: Daz (B.E.T. Interview; 1995)

03. The first single off the album was suppose to be a song called “I Rock Mics” featuring The Lady Of Rage. This song was never released.
    Source: Daz (B.E.T. Interview; 1995)

04. “Let's Play House” (Demo) featuring Warren G was actually called “Runnin' Fo' The Fence”, when it was first recorded.

05. “U Can’t C Me” (D.P.G. Version) was supposed to be track 8 on The First Draft.

Dr. Dre Facts
    01. Dre's favourite moment during the making of "The Chronic" may have been the time Snoop Dogg phoned the studio from jail while Dre happened to be working on "Nuthin' But A "G" Thang." "I can't even remember why he was in jail, but I thought his voice would be perfect for the song," Dre says, smiling. "So, I told him to stay on the line while I duct taped the receiver of the phone to the microphone. That's how he did vocal for our demo for "G" Thang. I wish I could find that demo now. You could hear all the jail sounds in the background. It was crazy."

02. On "California Love," Dre went into the studio in his former Chatsworth home and played a sample from the Cocker single over a drum beat. He then had some horn players come in to fill out the sound and finally stacked some strings on top. While recording the track, Dre remembered a festive line, "California knows how to party" from another song ("West Coast Poplock") and he brought in Roger Troutman, from the old Zapp band, to deliver the vocal line on the record.
    Source: Dr. Dre (L.A. Times article; September 2007)

RARE Facts About Ruthless, Death Row and What REALLY Went Down
    01. Po' Broke and Lonely's No Money, No Honey, album was supposed to be the first release on Death Row Records. In late 1991, in a desperate attempt to keep Dr. Dre happy, Eazy-E let him produce two R&B albums. One would be a Ruthless Project (Jimmmy Z's Muzical Madness) and the other (Po' Broke and Lonely's No Money, No Honey) would be Dr. Dre's first release on his own label, Death Row Records distributed by Ruthless Records. If you listen to the intro of the album, it's Dr. Dre introducing the group, and right before he says "Death Row Family", it is bleeped out. Also, if you have the Po' Broke and Lonely Funky Vibe 12", on the back it says, "Remix by Dr. Dre for Death Row Records".

02. The ORIGINAL “Chronic” track list included “One Eight Seven”, when it was supposed to be released on Death Row/Solar Records. If you notice, most of the retail “Chronic” album is mixed and blended together. What I mean by that is, if you skip to a track, you can still hear the previous song. The only song that fades out is “Lil' Ghetto Boy”. That is where “One Eight SEVEN” was supposed to Be. When Death Row left to Interscope, Dre took the song off and put “Bitches Ain't Shit” at the end. After Solar sued and shit calmed down, the third single was “Let Me Ride”. If you own the Europe version and you listen to the very beginning of the “One Eight Seven” track on the single, you can hear “Lil' Ghetto Boy” fading out. A couple of Solar tapes also went out too.

03. As far as "The Ho Hopper", I know that hit the Internet masses around 1999 when Nino was the man, but that song was everywhere in Long Beach (swat meets, corner bootleggers, muthafukas standing in front of V.I.P. Records) around 1994. if you bought them bootleggs with all the current shit, the last songs were "The Ho Hopper" side A and side B was "Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat" (Ddemo). "The Ho Hopper" is strictly a demo from "The Chronic" sessions--not even mixed down.

04. Another crazy story about that "Po' Broke and Lonely" album is that the reason Eazy-E ended up releasing it is during the lawyer wars between Interscope and Ruthless, one of the arrangements for Dr. Dre leaving, he would have to turn in a final project and help with one song for Above The Law's "Black Mafia Life" album. So Dre, to be a dick, turned in the Po' Broke and Lonely album with him promoting his knew label on the intro. In turn, Eazy to be a dick back, bleeped that shit. However, Dre got Ruthless at the end--check this out. When Dre went to the studio to help with that Above The Law song, Cold 187um made the mistake of letting Dre hear the whole album. That's where 187 says Dr. Dre "stole" some ideas and he's got some pretty good proof. If you listen to the "Black Mafia Life" album, there are 3-4 songs where Dre just happened to use the same sample (including "Let Me Ride," Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat," etc.). Now if it was just a Scartch sample or something simple that was the same that's no problem, but Dre basically used the same main loop of the songs. One last thing is if you own the promo tape to the "Black Mafia Life" album, the outro was originally titled "The Chronic Outro". Listen to that track. They are talking about smoking chronic. Also, what about track 15 on "The Chronic", The Roach (_The _Chronic _Outro)? Coincidence? I think not. And, remember 187 said in a interview recently that Snoop was about to sign with Above The Law, but Dre snatched him up. That's why 187 was so hurt and let Dre have it on Kokane's song "Don't Bite The Phunk" which is one of the best diss songs of all time. As scary, crazy or however you may describe it as it may be, 187 basically predicted future and the fall of Death Row when Death Row was on top. But Dre made it up to Big Hutch. Around the time Dre left Death Row to form Aftermath, he brought 187 in as a producer and, believe it or not, 187 produced most of the first "Eve" album when she was first at Aftermath around 97-98 along with Mel-Man.

I got that info straight from the goat's mouth, i better shut up now.
    Last edited by Tha Jsta; 03-07-2008 at 07:55 PM.
    Since I am no longer active here I suggest you visit my blog by clicking here. You can further contact me if you feel you need to by going to the rellevent page. Thanks.

Soul on Ice is by far the best.

Are U Watching Closely? 11th Chamber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    I'm a WC fan but i didn't like his last album Guilty By Affiliation. The beats on there sucked and that's not like him to have wack beats because his other albums got tight beats. My favorite westcoast albums are:

1. The Pharcyde-Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde, Labcabincalifornia
    2. 2Pac-2Pacalypse Now, Strictly 4 My Niggaz
    3. The Dogg Pound-Dogg Food
    4. Kurupt-Tha Streets Is A Mutha
    5. Dr Dre-The Chronic
    6. Above The Law-Black Mafia Life, Uncle Sam's Curse, Legends
    7. Tash of The Alkaholics-Raplife
    8. The Alkaholics-Coast To Coast, Likwidation, 21 And Over
    9. MC Ren-Kiss My Black Azz, Shock Of The Hour
    10. NWA-Straight Outta Compton, Niggaz4life
    11. Ice Cube-Amerikka's Most Wanted, Death Certificate
    12. WC-Curb Servin, The Shadiest One, Ghetto Heisman
    13. Mack 10-The Recipe
    14. Da Lench Mob-Guerrilas In Tha Mist
    15. Too Short-Shorty The Pimp, Get In Where You Fit In, Short Dog's In The House, Cocktails, Gettin It, What's My Favorite Word, Married To The Game, Can't Stay Away, You Nasty
    16. The Luniz-Operation Stackola
    17. Yukmouth-Thugged Out
    18. The Conscious Daughters-Ear To The Street
    19. Mac Mall-Untouchable
    20. MC Eiht-Straight Check'n Em, Music To Driveby, We Come Strapped, Death Threatz, Section 8, Tha8t'z Gangsta
    21. Spice 1-Spice 1, 187 He Wrote, Amerikka's Nightmare
    22. Ice T-Rhyme Pays, Power, OG Original Gangster, Home Invasion
    23. MC Hammer-Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em, Too Legit To Quit, The Funky Headhunter(i know ya'll are gonna laugh at me for saying i like these MC Hammer albums hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Don't act like some of ya'll didn't like MC Hammer when you were a kid.)
    24. DJ Quik-Way 2 Fonky
    25. Westside Connection-Bow Down
    26. Cypress Hill-Cypress Hill
    27. Snoop Dogg-Doggystyle
    28. Daz Dillinger-Retaliation Revenge And Get Back, R.A.W., This Is The Life I Lead, DPGC You Know What I'm Throwin Up
    29. Warren G-Regulate G Funk Era
    30. Kam-Neva Again

I see somebody mentioned MC Pooh who used to be with Too Short's Dangerous Crew. He also was in Menace II Society movie. He had me rolling when he dissed Clifton Powell because Clifton got his ass whipped by Caine. Here's what MC Pooh said.

Yo man this a good ass fight on tv. This look like Caine beating your ass the other night hahahahahahahahahaha. Clifton said yeah nigga? I bet you Caine won't be laughing after 5-0 get a hold of this tape. Bet that shit nigga. MC Pooh said this him beating your ass on this tv LOL. Clifton said don't talk to me about no god damn Caine. Fat pudgy muthafucka LOL. MC Pooh said fuck you. I don't give a fuck what you talking about. This you on tv getting your ass whipped LOL.
    What about Chronic 2001?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    I'm a WC fan but i didn't like his last album Guilty By Affiliation. The beats on there sucked and that's not like him to have wack beats because his other albums got tight beats. My favorite westcoast albums are:
    You gotta be kidding me... them beats was straight westcoast, and bangin!

you got tracks like ...

This Is Los Angelos
    West Coast Voodoo
    Jack And The Bean Stalk
    Paranoid
    Dodgeball

and so on.. you obviously don't know what you're talking about, Guilty By Affiliation was straight fire.. .for reaL! go peep that album again homie.

THA REAL O.G.

I personally liked WC and The Maad Circle. I am a history-type nigga, know what I'm sayin'? If you don't know where William Calhoun started out, peep the Low Profile album I put up earlier in this thread. _That is a definite classic right there.
    Since I am no longer active here I suggest you visit my blog by clicking here. You can further contact me if you feel you need to by going to the rellevent page. Thanks.

i was just listening to the kokane & above the law death row diss earlier today! that shit was the truth.

GENERAL WISE

Smh @ me forgetting 93 Til Infinity.

life is blast if know what u doin u better know what your doin before your life gets ruined
    "BACK TO FUKIN WERK 1 OF YOUR THREADZ JUST GOT DUSTED"

THA REAL O.G.

Quote Originally Posted by main_man View Post
    i was just listening to the kokane & above the law death row diss earlier today! that shit was the truth.
    Ya muthafuckin' right. I just think it's a bit ironic how 187 predicts the downfall of Death Row and then in two years, down falls Death Row. That song has the best effects when blasted through some speakers as loud as it can go (LOL). Most niggaz be lookin' at you and thinkin', "Damn! That shit's dope! I gotta get that!" You'd be surprised how many people don't know about that.

yeah, i always liked "funk upon a rhyme", but a lot of my homies back then would be like "what the fuck are you listening to?" lol. i still think its a dope album to this day. not for everyones tastes though.

THA REAL O.G.

LOL. I'm surprised there are people out there that actually know about the album. I don't know what it is, but that was always and always will be one of the best G Funk albums of all time. What about his first one (Addictive Hip Hop Muzick)? That had more of an Above The Law feel to it. For some stupid reason, he was credited as "Who Am I?" on the actual CD. I guess one of the reasons he was down with Above The Law from day one is because he is Big Hutch's cousin.

yeah, i always felt like above the law were the real street muh fuckaz on ruthless. nwa were good, but they kinda seemed like the action movie type, u know what i mean. like they were kinda blowing it up a little,elaborating it. above the law just seemed like they were really bout that street shit, so they kinda kept it low key. def one of my favorite west coast groups of all time.

THA REAL O.G.

Exactly. N.W.A. said more than the did. Above The Law was about what the did. They didn't talk much. Did you grab the package I put up way back?

naw, i should. but i own just about every above the law album out. i think im missing the remix to 100 spokes though.