Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Best west coast albums...

THA REAL O.G.

You actually own their first 4 albums on Ruthless? Damn I envy you! I can't find them anywhere! Pisses me the hell off!!! I gotta download them then improve their quality. That's as close as I can get to the physical copies. Are they still in stores? Do you have the actual Kokane CD's? If you do, I'm about to run up in ya house and steel them (LOL).
    Since I am no longer active here I suggest you visit my blog by clicking here. You can further contact me if you feel you need to by going to the rellevent page. Thanks.

not the real kokane, just a copy. same with uncle sams curse. i own black mafia life & 4 the funk of it. i think i own livin like hustlers, but im not sure on it. i'd have to look.

THA REAL O.G.

Do you actually own any west coast 7", 12" or whatever the hell " records? That would be cool if you could upload them to zSHARE.net.

Hey, I got a big question for you? The D.O.C. made this track called Bridgette, I think in 1988. I also have the track. What record or CD is it on? It is a very mysterious track 'cause I found it out of nowhere a long time ago. Nobody I came across so far has ever heard of it. But since you are a real nigga down with all us otha real niggaz, I thought you could let anotha real nigga know.
    Since I am no longer active here I suggest you visit my blog by clicking here. You can further contact me if you feel you need to by going to the rellevent page. Thanks.

man, i aint even heard of that d.o.c. joint! lol. i wanna hear it though. big fan of the doc. i own mostly cd's, not any vinyl. wish i got into vinyl back in the day though. shits expensive nowadays.

THA REAL O.G.

Do me a favour. If you don't have one already, create a Gmail account and P.M. me the address. This way I can send you shit I know you have never heard before. It's quite easy for me to send MP3's and links via e-mail as apposed to all those instant messaging applications that are rather inconvenient to blind people.

Oztradamus

Any Above The Law record...

Especially Livin' Like Hustlers, Black Mafia Life and Uncle Sam's Curse...

THA REAL O.G.

Why doesn't anybody mention Vocally Pimpin'? That was an album they did in 1991 on Ruthless too ya know.

For anybody who has not looked back on this thread: look back and download everything I put up. I have some of the best, dopest, rare and out of print albums of all time including Above The Law's first four albums.

THA REAL O.G.

I have a request for anybody out there who has this, knows somebody who has this, or can somehow fin this. I am looking for Kokane's 1996 12", maxi-single or whatever it was of 4 Ryders Only. I cannot seem to find it anywhere. If somebody has it or knows where to get it, please let me know.

And if anybody has H.W.A.'s I Ain't No Lady EP (not just the song) I'll give you props as well.

-

Above The Law's Vocally Pimpin is a ep, not a album. That ep only has a couple of new songs on it and the rest of the songs are remixes from the songs on Livin Like Hustlers album. Above The Law's last album Forever Rich Thugs sucked and i didn't like Livin Like Hustlers and Time Will Reveal albums. If Big Hutch and DJ Total K-oss hadn't gotten locked up, they could've made some more albums. Have ya'll heard Hutch's 2 solo albums Executive Decisions and Live From The Ghetto? Those albums are pretty good. I think NWA is better than Above The Law. To the person who asked me about Dr Dre's Chronic 2001 album, yeah i like that album but it's not better than The Chronic album of course. I wish Dre would've done some more solo albums. He takes too fucking long to do solo albums.

THA REAL O.G.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Above The Law's Vocally Pimpin is a ep, not a album. That ep only has a couple of new songs on it and the rest of the songs are remixes from the songs on Livin Like Hustlers album. Above The Law's last album Forever Rich Thugs sucked and i didn't like Livin Like Hustlers and Time Will Reveal albums. If Big Hutch and DJ Total K-oss hadn't gotten locked up, they could've made some more albums. Have ya'll heard Hutch's 2 solo albums Executive Decisions and Live From The Ghetto? Those albums are pretty good. I think NWA is better than Above The Law. To the person who asked me about Dr Dre's Chronic 2001 album, yeah i like that album but it's not better than The Chronic album of course. I wish Dre would've done some more solo albums. He takes too fucking long to do solo albums.
    Nigga, you crazy! Above The Law was so much better than N.W.A.. N.W.A. just made the west coast gangsta rap genre mainstream. Above The Law was real. I'm not sayin' N.W.A. wasn't, but there was somethin' about Above The Law that stuck with me.

Vocally Pimpin' only had 9 tracks: track 6 being the G-Mixx to Livin' Like Hustlers, tracks 8 and 9 being two alternate versions of track 4 (4 The Funk Of It) and track 8 being a commercial. Still, it was dope!

And as far as Dre's Chronic goes, read the facts I posted up days ago. You can clearly see Dre str8 up took the concept of G Funk from Hutch, who might I add is in my mind, a better producer than Dre. Dre gets credit he shouldn't. Don't get me wrong, I got love for Dre. Hell, I even have a copy of The Chronic. But all's I'm sayin' is Black Mafia Life and Uncle Sam's Curse are better than The Chronic. Is it me, or does Uncle Sam's Curse closely resemble Kokane's 1994 classic Funk Upon A Rhyme?

Listen to track 9 on Black Mafia Life (Pimp Clinic). They used Parliament's Mothership Connection sample first. Then listen to Let Me Ride on The Chronic. Now, tell me Dre didn't "bite the phunk".

-

Above The Law's Black Mafia Life and Uncle Sam's Curse albums aren't better than The Chronic to me. Hutch isn't a better producer than Dre.

THA REAL O.G.

Alright dogg. Let's see what some other people think. I'm not sayin' you are right or wrong. I'm not sayin' I am either. I'd like to see what other people say about this.

yeah, i think its kinda obvious that dre bit the "g-funk" style of producing from above the law. above the law just sounded like real players from the street, nwa sounded like they were around the streets, but not for real in em.

and for the record livin like hustlers, one of the best west coast albums. fuck the bustas who say otherwise. and cold 187um's father was willie hutch, and songwriter and producer for dope ass 70's shit. so he learned from one of the best.

THA REAL O.G.

Quote Originally Posted by main_man View Post
    yeah, i think its kinda obvious that dre bit the "g-funk" style of producing from above the law. above the law just sounded like real players from the street, nwa sounded like they were around the streets, but not for real in em.

and for the record livin like hustlers, one of the best west coast albums. fuck the bustas who say otherwise. and cold 187um's father was willie hutch, and songwriter and producer for dope ass 70's shit. so he learned from one of the best.
    Brotha knows his stuff . What about Kokane's father, Jerry Long Sr.? He is a Motown composer who is listed in the credits for the Marvin Gaye album Trouble Man. Koka learned from the best as well. Above The Law needs to get back together and say "fuck this new bullshit. We need to take it back to '94" and do another album.
    Last edited by Tha Jsta; 03-10-2008 at 07:14 PM.

yeah i agree. i didnt think their new one was that bad either. just a little too much singing for my tastes.