Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Overrated bands?

i hate def leppard

^^They are embarking on a joint tour with Motley Crue (2years in the making due to Covid). Ultimate Classic Rock has a roundtable article on expected setlists up right now

'The Dirt', based on the book, is up on Netflix and there's an accompanying soundtrack for sale which includes some of the earlier songs

Def Leppard has a new album out with, from what I read, some rockers but also some country (!) songs

unrelated but Scorpions have a new album out since February and apparently it's really good
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    lol, lennon solo is the only beatles stuff i can tolerate - always liked this album

I think stuff like Imagine and How Do You Sleep puts me off. Plus his whole persona after The Beatles. I might try again.

I have an aversion to The Rolling Stones. I can't even call them overrated. It objectively is pretty good music, I just cannot enjoy it for some reason.

Blue And Lonesome, the Rolling Stones' most recent studio album, is a collection of blues (rock) covers that sounds dynamic, cosy and you can hear their joy in playing those tunes. it's a great record - I was surprised I liked it so much - and I guess it's as good as any place to give RR another go. I don't own any previous albums, just the 40 licks comp.

A friend who's a bit of an RR expert recently advised me to buy a live album to help me get into RR more, which I might do later this year
    Retired.

I just thought part of it might be my dad playing the shit out of them when I was a kid. He also played the shit out of David Bowie and Motown too but I never got tired of that.

It might be subconsciously that I know they're public schoolboys playing a grimy image, in contrast to The Beatles who grew up dirt poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    Blue And Lonesome, the Rolling Stones' most recent studio album, is a collection of blues (rock) covers that sounds dynamic, cosy and you can hear their joy in playing those tunes. it's a great record - I was surprised I liked it so much - and I guess it's as good as any place to give RR another go. I don't own any previous albums, just the 40 licks comp.

A friend who's a bit of an RR expert recently advised me to buy a live album to help me get into RR more, which I might do later this year
    That album is great.

Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet r their best albums, imo.

lolz, saw someone mentioned Nirvana. Grunge is fucking awful. Nirvana r the pits. Kurt was a fucking loser. I don't give a fuck how successful he was or how revered he is. Fucking loser.

lolz @ poison, motley crue n def Leppard too. Hair metal is also the pits. That shit has aged worse than pretty much anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    lolz, saw someone mentioned Nirvana. Grunge is fucking awful. Nirvana r the pits. Kurt was a fucking loser. I don't give a fuck how successful he was or how revered he is. Fucking loser.

lolz @ poison, motley crue n def Leppard too. Hair metal is also the pits. That shit has aged worse than pretty much anything else.
    While reading this post I am listening to a Survivor compilation. now I feel guilty in a weird way lol
    Retired.

Banned

I think AC/DC are pretty overrated. Malcolm and Angus Young are dynamite on the guitars but I don't enjoy either Bon Scott and especially Brian Johnson's singing nor their subject matter which is 90% about women. We get it, you're in a band you fuck a lot lol you said that part already. I can't stand to hear Thunderstruck the cunt's voice is so fucked on that song. Give me Black Sabbath any day of the week.

Lol @ noel ripping on grunge and hair metal, I enjoy about 5 songs between Motley Crue and Nirvana

I agree that Let It Bleed and Beggar's Banquet are the Rolling Stones best albums, I really enjoy Aftermath, Out of our heads and Sticky Fingers but I could never really get in to Exile on Main Street.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    can't stand the beatles.

it's one of those opinions that i never bother bringing up really because most people will either think you're an idiot (and you don't "understand" "songwriting") or you're just trying to be edgy.

i've tried to get into their albums on multiple occasions and the appeal just bemuses me. i listen to a decent range of music and tend to like stuff across genre's... i like stuff from the era the beatles made music in... i just think their music was bad. it's not like i just don't see what the big deal is, i genuinely dislike their music and find it irritating when it's on.
    Preach it, preach it.

I will say that Sgt Pepper's and The White album are tremendous and I love these two to death and I like parts of Magical Mystery Tour but jeez so many of their albums are just straight up boring. When it comes to that early to mid 1960's English pop stuff I'd rather listen to The Animals and there were better psych/early garage rock bands of the late 1960's that were doing far more interesting music than Abbey Road.

I'm like you and I constantly try and get in to their other albums and I can make an enjoyable playlist out of particular songs but listening to the full albums is so boring it's just 15 songs going for 2 and-a-half minutes on how much John and Paul think some chick is beautiful, it's so boring and repetitive. I have never been able to get through Rubber Soul in one sitting despite it being acclaimed as their greatest album (it's not) and one of the greatest albums ever (it's not lmao) I used to think The Beatles were one of the greatest bands ever when I was younger until I realised I was only ever listening to them in playlist form

I also think George was the best member of the band who had the best solo album, John's solo work doesn't do it for me but his Paul McCartney diss track is great.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

I've been listening to the stones quite a lot since I saw this thread. All those 70's albums r pretty good. I only ever used to listen to the ones i mentioned, regularly. But there's plenty of quality from that period of output.

I personally think the whole second half of the beatles discog is brilliant. Everything from revolver onwards. I don't really listen to the first half of their discog, as it's 95% uncreative songs about girls. Still some great stuff on those albums tho.

I think Lennon's first 2 solos are excellent, and mind games was good too. I don't really fuck with anything paul did after the beatles, except that one wings album was pretty good. The one that opens with band on the run. That was probably the name of the album, actually.

George's all things must pass is def the best beatles solo though, imo.

Lil Uzi Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post

Get Yer Ya Yas Out is really good.