Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Little rant about loose Wu affiliates

Are U Watching Closely? 11th Chamber's Avatar

^^^ I like Trife Diesel, dudes tight.

Altho, Shaun Wigs can disappear off the face of the earth for all I care

Yeap. I fucking hate hearing average rappers on a Ghostface record. Starks himself is one of the greatest ever so what the fuck are these people doing on his albums? I love Trife to death, Sun God seems ok for such a young dude and if he's going to take after his father, it looks promising. Cappa was amazing, but now he hasn't been hitting my nerve the right way.. But rest of these theodore guys are pretty much waste of beat.

I just can't stop thinking what would for example Deck sound like on that beat instead of wiggs? A lot better, anyday.

If one is the founding member of the greatest hip hop group EVER, why waste time on a group of average rappers? It's cool to bring up people like Trife diesel, of course. Do that, but leave the rest out, atleast in big projects like this. Help one name to grow big, who has the potential to really do some good.

Damn.
    lol.

I liked the album, i only listened to it one time through so i know ill like it when i listen to it more. I do agree that he was and probably def jam was trying to expose tu because i think they are signed now. But, it could have done without the wiggz songs that didnt even have ghost because in my opinion wiggz isnt really good. He is ok but why not put a trife solo or a kryme life solo or even a cap solo but this dude doesnt excite me. I do love the album though, its a solit 3.5 or 4

"More Fish" = "718 part 2".
    This is not a Ghostface album!
    I hope Ghost/Doom is better than this..........

Holdin down the North Eastern corner of the U.S. Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by madstyles View Post
    I can see what you mean about ghos being absent for a good part of the album and many of the dudes wu has tried to bring up have been average mc's but not all. ghost hasn't exactly been on top of his game lately. Hes been sounding the same for the most part ever since pretty toney. Thats why I feel he should chill with all these album...way to much material.

I'm not trying to hate on ghostface. Hes one of my fav mc's but to be honest is he really spittin as good as he can/use too? Theres at least two songs I can name that someone from his crew has outshined him on.
    I think trife has talent and is a good story teller something missing in a lot of hip hop artist these days. I'm not saying hes better than ghostface but the potential for him to have a dope album is there.

peace.

True story! I feel the same way! Lyrically Ghost been fell off. He can't spit it like the Ghost from Cuban Linx, Wu-4ever, Ironman, Liquid Swordz ect....Itz like Ghost iz tryin to sound like a D-block rapper now? Or just some hood nigga rhymin or the dude on the block spittin. Ghost used to be krazy ill! Ghost still had it on The W......Then when Iron Flag came out i think thatz when he lost it an changed for the worse.
    Born intellectual...mind over matter...my mental splatter ya physical...so fast my movements are invisible...cut off the wingz to your trend...your not even that original

Either Way I Think The Album Will Do Good Because Of The Fact Its Getting Released During The Xmas Season, New Cd's Are Always The Best Gift To Give As A Present Whether They Are Good Or Not. Personally I Wouldve Jus Put Trife On The Album & Thats It.

Veteran Member

i firmly agree with the thread starter...i hate all these shitty wu-fam groups nowadays...theordore (sun god, solomon are alright and obviously cappa), hillside shit suck, ice water are wack, ccf/division i cant stand (shacronz only one that got skill), black knights are average at best, north star are o.k....the only wu-fam that should be on any albums are killarmy, sunz of man, la the darkman, br'kln zu, shyheim, streetlife, holocaust, timbo king and maybe a few others

I agree with most of it especially the older wu affiliates. I enjoy trife because he's fresh he can ride the beats I have heard and he has an amazing flow. I see what you are saying but trife in my opinion the best thing I have heard outside of wu tang 9 in a long long time. I understand where you are coming from.
    Favorite artist In order
    Az, Nas, Eightball & Mjg, Talib Kweli, Ghostface killah, Gza, and Krazyie bone

Favorite albums, Aziatic: it was written< on top of the world(CLASSIC), Reflections eternal,(classic) Supreme Clientel(classic), Gza(Liquid Swords) and Thug on tha line

I haven't made it to the record store yet so I can't talk specifically about more fish, but a couple comments:

1) Theordore Unit is pretty bad, but not offensively bad. It's not like Nas letting Bravehearts onto some of his albums. Trife really is OK (ghost sounded downright lazy compared to trife on put it on the line), and some people like Sun God.

2) Spotting talent is hard - just because somebody rips a good freestyle at the club or drops a decent mixtape doesn't mean they're capable of a professional level album. I'm glad that ghost, u-god, INS, etc. use their fame to try to get some unknown cats out there. Sometimes it works, e.g. Killarmy, Sunz of Man, and sometimes it doesn't, e.g. Black Knights, Housegang. But I'd rather put up with the bad than not get the good - just think how long Akir was out there before Immortal Technique signed him.

That being said I'll have to hear the album before my final judgement.

Jamal Arief

Quote Originally Posted by mowbs View Post
    So I picked up More Fish today. Ghost is one of my favorite MCs and I loved Fishscale, so I was looking forward to it. I've listened to it from start to finish 3 times. It's good, but there is an element of the album that is seriously frustrating - the unnecessarily frequent appearance of Ghost's contingent of stunningly average rappers.

There are a number of reasons why this is both disappointing and puzzling. For starters, the album is advertised as a Ghostface solo, which it clearly isn't. There are even three tracks where Ghost does not appear at all, and another where he only contributes on the chorus. The concept of Ghost releasing two albums in a year is something I never really understood in the first place, but I almost feel as if he used the opportunity to expose The Theodore Unit. I know this isn't going to be the most popular opinion, and I don't want to sound like a hater, but I firmly believe this: Trife, Sun God and Shawn Wigs are mediocre rappers (at their very best) with annoyingly generic lyrics and uninspired deliveries. The unfortunate thing about the fact that at least one of these three individuals appear on 9 of More Fish's 17 tracks, is that it really disrupts the flow of what could have easily been a 4.5 or 5 star record. For his second album in a year, this is an impressive entry for Ghost, but at the same time, it just feels like it could have been so much better had he taken the time to make a true solo album (a la Fishscale).

Something else that makes no sense to me is why certain Wu artists feel inclined to branch out and bring these talent-devoid nobodies on their albums. Last I checked, there is a 9-man crew out there who they should be recruting to help them out for their projects, not American Cream Team, Hillside Scrambles or Theodore Unit. I feel the same way about these groups as I did about 2Pac's Thug Life/Outlaw boys - they only make the song worse. Hearing one of those guys enter a classic track like Pain literally takes away from the strength of the song. I'd rather hear Ghost on both verses of Biscuits, thank you. If it is absolutely necessary to feature another artist on one of your songs, do yourself a favor and take your pick from the generals, or at the very least, a legitimate Wu affiliate who has an established underground credibility (in the vein of Killah Priest).

I'm sorry, folks. I just don't get it, and I don't see the merit in Theodore Unit. I find it difficult to comprehend why Ghost would prefer to have them on his album. It would be different if they actually brought something to the table, but they don't, and they only hinder the overall quality of the record. Hearing some subpar MC follow a unique character like Ghostface over a great beat makes me cringe.
    Why didn't you just say you don't like Trife, Sun God and Wigs? Would have been easier... Now you sound pretentious and silly. I mean it's ok if you don't appreciate their MC skills, but who are you to doubt their credibiltiy or legitimacy? And please stop trying to give Ghost any advice, cause that is really pathetic. If you like him so much, you should trust his decisions. Surely he is a much better "talent scout" than you are, thank you.
    But to stay on the side of positivity: I suggest you go and mix your own Ghost album. Delete the three tracks, cut out Wigs and Trife from the others and include the leftovers from Fishscale and More Fish.

Whoever ain't heard the album yet, don't get it twisted!
    It's not a Theodore Unit mixtape. There's twice as many Ghost darts and half as many TU darts, which makes it 4x more Ghost verses per TU verse. Even if you delete all the tracks without Ghost, plus the back like that "bonus" track the album is still about 45 minutes. "More Fish" is a very good album and it has more lines from the main artist than GZA's "Beneath the Surface", MK's "Made in Brooklyn", Deck's "Resident Patient" and about as many as "Ironman" and "Bulletproof Wallets", all of which have a lot of features. If you like any of those albums, I think you should at least give it a chance.

Peace.
    Last edited by Jamal Arief; 12-14-2006 at 10:25 AM.

I'm The Master MingLuKhan Ya_Bane's Avatar

It was promoted as a Ghostface-album indeed, and has his name on it. Tho the 'More Fish' symbol, that's on the albumcover and everywhere else that talks about the album, says

"The Theodore Unit
    MORE FISH"

and a small 'gfk' in the middle.

So it's nothing strange really that they are on it.

BUT ZiG 9th are on point here:

Quote Originally Posted by ZiG 9th View Post
    Right now the way i see it Ghost nor wu isn't even in the position to really put any new people on. B/c they're barely staying afloat themselves nowadayz. So how can they even afford to put some1 else on when they're still tryin to keep their name alive?
    This is true. It's not the best time to push out Theo.

He would have had the Clan all over the album if he could and wanted. This time it was that he wanted to let Theo shine, that's what he wanted so that's what he did, wich I have to respect. But it's a bad move in all other ways. For bussiness/sales, for the fans, and for the name of Wu-Tang.

With all of this said, I do like More Fish better than Fishscale.
    http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31674&dateline=119438  0796

Ridin' in the Wu-mobile rubyspirit's Avatar

The guys are good. They'll grow on you.

i didn't buy more fish, cuz i don't have any money cuz i bought paris hilton's Cd recently.

i think i'm high

i havent heard more fish...but i love ghost collabs with trife and superb....i dont know who sungod is was he on any other ghost LPs?

Realness

Jamal Arief

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    i havent heard more fish...but i love ghost collabs with trife and superb....i dont know who sungod is was he on any other ghost LPs?
    He's Ghost's son. He was on Fishscale as well, on the track "Dogs of War". On the new joint he's on two tracks, one with Ghost and the other with Trife. And he doesn't sound bad at all to my ears.

Peace.