Thread: Technical Help For a G

Default Technical Help For a G

I wanna play sound from my dvd player through my computer. I have my dvd player hooked up to my stereo so that I get sound from the dvd player playing through my stereo speakers. Now I've got a cable that plugs into my stereo and the front of my soundcard. So I figure I'm hooked up ok, but how am I supposed to get the sound on my computer? I guess I have to run it through some sort of program or something?

And help would be appreciated.

Oh shit. Didn't know about that. It's with Windows.

Well see I use samples from movies and shit when compiling tracks some times, and I usually just play the dvd's in WMP and use one of those programs that records whatever sound is playing on your computer. However, I use dvd's from different regions, so I have to change the region of my dvd drive every so often, and you're only allowed to do that so many times before the drive gets stuck on one region and you can no longer change it. I'm down to my final option to change it. So I have to find some other way of recording audio from dvd's onto my computer. I don't wanna do it through a mic because the sound quality wouldn't be so crash hot.

The line-in option surely wouldn't be muted because I use a mic sometimes.

It's actually quite simple. If you have a pretty modern sound card there should be some audio input jacks in the back of it somewhere. Either that or use a TV capture card, the one I have has audio inputs as well as video (of course) for like $120
    Still Ain't Nuttin Ta Fuk Wit

Like I said, I think I've got it all hooked up ok, I just don't know how you're supposed to get the sound to actually play through the computer.

I might check out that forum if I can't figure this shit out soon, Robby.

i do this with my record player, to record vinyl onto my computer. all i need is a special kind of cord, that on one end is a typical RCA jack and the other end is an 1/8" jack, which plugs into your computer's line-in or microphone jack (my computer's line-in and mic are the same jack). you probably already know this though.

if you have this plugged in, your computer should play the audio without any additional software. as long as the DVD is playing, the audio should broadcast through your comp.

is the DVD player still hooked up to your tv, as well? i'm guessing it is or else you'd have difficulty finding what part of the DVD to paly.

Godbrother

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    I wanna play sound from my dvd player through my computer. I have my dvd player hooked up to my stereo so that I get sound from the dvd player playing through my stereo speakers. Now I've got a cable that plugs into my stereo and the front of my soundcard. So I figure I'm hooked up ok, but how am I supposed to get the sound on my computer? I guess I have to run it through some sort of program or something?

And help would be appreciated.
    What ever your Operating Sytem(OS).........Windows or Mac

There is a default sound recorder installed, for Windows(OS) follow this path:Start/ Programs/Accessories/Entertainment/Sound Recorder

This program(application) is limited

Quote Originally Posted by crass xxx View Post
    i do this with my record player, to record vinyl onto my computer. all i need is a special kind of cord, that on one end is a typical RCA jack and the other end is an 1/8" jack, which plugs into your computer's line-in or microphone jack (my computer's line-in and mic are the same jack). you probably already know this though.

if you have this plugged in, your computer should play the audio without any additional software. as long as the DVD is playing, the audio should broadcast through your comp.

is the DVD player still hooked up to your tv, as well? i'm guessing it is or else you'd have difficulty finding what part of the DVD to paly.
    I've got a cord that plugs into my computer's line-in jack at one end, and plugs into my dvd player's audio jacks at the other end, and the fucken shit just won't work. I tried hooking it up to my stereo and portable dvd player in the same way, and neither of them worked either.

And yeah, the dvd player is still hooked up to my tv.

Godbrother

To simply your problem get an audio interface which comes with recording software.

A Audio interface will provide the necessary and multiple audio connection.