With city kid Wiz Khalifa being hailed as if he were the Sidney Crosby of hip-hop, the timing is right for the first annual Pittsburgh Hip-Hop Awards.

The event will take place Sunday at the Pittsburgh Hilton and will be hosted by hip-hop pioneer Grandmaster Mele Mel, the Bronx rapper who delivered "The Message" with Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, and whose next career moves will be a new CD this month and induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March. He will be joined by Paradise the Architect from the X-Clan, out of Brooklyn, and comedian Michael Blackstone

Vibe magazine is covering the event, Def Jam will be here, along with 4th Disciple and "affiliates" of the Wu-Tang Clan, and it will be broadcast on the Real Hip-Hop Network. There will also be 12 live performances during the show.

Pittsburgh Hip-Hop Awards
Where: Hilton Pittsburgh, Downtown.
When: 7 p.m. Sunday; doors open at 6 p.m.
Tickets: $20; $100 VIP; $900 VIP table for 10; go to http://pittsburghhiphopawards.com.

I don't know what wu affiliates will be there, but since steubenville, OH is only about 40 minutes from Pittsburgh, probably be a few Killarmy guys. I know shogun has hosted cd release parties in the burgh before, so i am sure he will show up.