Thread: Rap COINTELPRO: Subverting the power of Hip-Hop

Default Rap COINTELPRO: Subverting the power of Hip-Hop

Rap COINTELPRO: Subverting the power of Hip-Hop
    By FinalCall.com News
    Updated Jul 24, 2005, 10:53 pm
    One-on-One with BlackElectorate.com's Cedric Muhammad
    Political commentator Cedric Muhammad published a series of Rap COINTELPRO articles on his website (BlackElectorate.com) beginning in 2000 initially dealing with the suspicious circumstances surrounding the deaths of Tupac Shakur (2Pac) and Christopher Wallace (Notorious B.I.G.)
    With great insight, in later parts of the series, Brother Cedric broadened the topical range identifying and investigating the stratagem implemented by a growing number of police departments across the United States dealing specifically with increased surveillance – some would even say harassment – of Hip Hop artists and the peculiar treatment of crimes occurring within the Hip Hop community. Brother Cedric spoke with Final Call Online Correspondent Ashahed Muhammad about the relationship of those subjects to the global strategy of the infamous J. Edgar Hoover – whose plan was to stifle progressive activism within the Black community and to prevent the rise of a "Black Messiah."

Ashahed Muhammad (AM): Thank you for taking time out of your schedule. I know you are busy writing, publishing, being a consultant and political advisor, etc. I appreciate you taking the time to speak with me today.

Cedric Muhammad (CM): Thank you. And it’s of course the greatest honor to be interviewed by the greatest newspaper on earth.
    AM: Dealing with Rap Cointelpro – some Hip Hop artists have faced an increasing amount of legal harassment including surveillance. Talk to us about what acted as a catalyst for your Rap Cointelpro series.

CM: Well, actually, Brother Ashahed, I think the seeds were planted for the series when I actually worked in the music industry, in particular when I was General Manager for Wu Tang Clan, and in around 1996, we had an annual celebration called, "Park Hill Day,"...............

read the rest here

http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publ...cle_2114.shtml

"See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the LORD comes.
    He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers; or else I will come and strike the land with a curse."

i think i'm high

hip-hop rebels

Realness

raised some good points but of course theres reminders of bias (YES, RACIAL BIAS IT EXISTS DEAL WITH IT)

Then, I was told that individuals arrested on certain charges in New York City were being offered less time if they would say that they were doing what they were doing on behalf of Wu Tang Clan.
    that was very interesting to me.. not just because its Wu Tang, but because thats some sinister shit.

hip-hop does have a ton of power, clearly the government sees it as a considerable threat, and we all know the rest..

good article

peace
    live and learn, dont be a bitch