Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Comics to Film, what's your take?

Default Comics to Film, what's your take?

For over five years now Hollywood has been going crazy over comic book properties, Blade was the movie that kicked off the comic book craze but it was the X-Men that took it to the next level and because of it's success we have been given Spider-man, Fantastic 4, Hulk, Daredevil etc.. plus new takes on Batman and Superman. With more films coming out this year and more on the way, what do you think of hollywoods fascination with comic books?, Do you think these movies are good for the industry?.

It's not only superheroes that are getting the star treatment, theres also films like Sin City, V for Vendetta, Road to Perdition and the upcoming 300.

Personally I am loving the fact that these movies come out every year although sometimes I wish they hadn't of bothered, love them or hate them they just keep coming but do you think that hollywood takes too many liberties with these films? or do you think that changes from the comic are nesessary in order to translate to the screen?........your thoughts....

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

It's all good except for Daredevil, Elektra, and Hulk.

comic books been made to movies for ages... the Original Superman for example, came out in 1978... but yeah i hear ya, with all the new CGI capabilities, its being made to movies more and more each year... im not a huge fan of them but i do enjoy certain ones....

the new F4 sequal looks pretty dope and 300 looks ill too.... Ghost Rider im not too sure about, it can bomb pretty bad if you ask me...

my all time fav. would be the original Batman for 1989 tho..

As a comic head, my favorites are X2, Blade, Spider-Man 2 and Batman Begins. The first 2 Superman films with Christopher Reeves are also good, though occasionally brainless and illogical. Other than that, they range from alright to mediocre to trash.

I'm looking forward to the new Fantastic Four (even though the first one gave me a headache by making Doom a jerkoff) since it has Silver Surfer one of my favorite characters, and the trailer looks insane, so does the Spider-Man 3 trailer.

The ones that are the best are the ones that stay true to the character and concept of the comics, maybe making some changes, like condensing the super complex X-Men continuity or making Blade way more portent than he ever was in the comics, but they were still true to the concepts.

Have you seen the commercials for the Iron Man animated movie? It looks nuts.

[quote=tekunique;717150]comic books been made to movies for ages... the Original Superman for example, came out in 1978 [quote]

Yeah, but they made Batman and Superman movie serials in the 1940s too, not to mention the countless times comics have been adapted into tv shows and cartoons.

As corny as it sounds, superheroes are like the mythology and folklore of modern society, you could go to Uzbekistan and they know who Batman is and what he's about.

[quote=vay727;717180][quote=tekunique;717150]comic books been made to movies for ages... the Original Superman for example, came out in 1978

Yeah, but they made Batman and Superman movie serials in the 1940s too, not to mention the countless times comics have been adapted into tv shows and cartoons.

As corny as it sounds, superheroes are like the mythology and folklore of modern society, you could go to Uzbekistan and they know who Batman is and what he's about.
    yep, agreed. my point tho was that IMO, the 1978 Superman kicked off the modernized super hero adaptations on film, with FX.

Comic book movies suck hard, never really liked one of them...
    "The only way to a woman's heart is along the path
    of torment. I know none other as sure..."

Ghost World is probably the best comic adaptation from a purely cinematic standpoint (yeah there are more to comics than superheroes)

From Hell, V for Vendetta, and Constantine are also all based on comics.

Skellington, have you seen Hellboy? That was hot, great cinematography, also based on a comic. Sin City was a comic as well, and that was pretty brilliant.

To say movies based on comics suck is a narrow minded statement, like saying biopics sucks, or movies based on novels suck.

I wish someone would remake SPAWN with todays effects.

Quote Originally Posted by tekunique View Post
    comic books been made to movies for ages... the Original Superman for example, came out in 1978... but yeah i hear ya, with all the new CGI capabilities, its being made to movies more and more each year... im not a huge fan of them but i do enjoy certain ones....
    I am aware of the earlier comic films like Christopher Reeves's Superman and the earlier Batman movies but you have to remember when those movies came out it was a huge gamble for warner brothers because superheroes were not taken seriously, in 1978 the only superhero stuff that had been on tv were the old campy tv serials. Even though Superman and Batman were success story's to start with they both flopped hard towards the end causing Warner Bothers to cease funding of any future projects, plus other studios were still not willing to give comic properties a chance so it's not seen as the start of the comic book film boom, that happened when the first Blade movie appeared although the success of X-Men is what prompted studios to buy up all the rights to various comic book properties.

Method Man

Quote Originally Posted by THEORY View Post
    I wish someone would remake SPAWN with todays effects.
    There was talk of another more faithful adaption of Spawn but it just kind of fizzled out .

Method Man

the marvel and dc movies blow. most definitely except for Burton's 1989 Batman and mayyyyyybe return of batman

Other than that, films like road to perdition, v for vendetta, sin city, blade and blade II, and possibly the upcoming ill release of 300, are great examples a transitions from comics to movies.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by vay727 View Post
    Ghost World is probably the best comic adaptation from a purely cinematic standpoint (yeah there are more to comics than superheroes)

From Hell, V for Vendetta, and Constantine are also all based on comics.

Skellington, have you seen Hellboy? That was hot, great cinematography, also based on a comic. Sin City was a comic as well, and that was pretty brilliant.

To say movies based on comics suck is a narrow minded statement, like saying biopics sucks, or movies based on novels suck.
    Thanks captain obvious!!! I didnt know those were comic book movies, they seem real to me.
    Game over, game of death, deadly viper poison your soul into an hymnal crepe/baseball bat tag that ass like two hand touch/inhale the exquisite ses that brings you breath/only the dead that creep can flesh be munched

Quote Originally Posted by Vic-Taurius View Post
    I am aware of the earlier comic films like Christopher Reeves's Superman and the earlier Batman movies but you have to remember when those movies came out it was a huge gamble for warner brothers because superheroes were not taken seriously, in 1978 the only superhero stuff that had been on tv were the old campy tv serials. Even though Superman and Batman were success story's to start with they both flopped hard towards the end causing Warner Bothers to cease funding of any future projects, plus other studios were still not willing to give comic properties a chance so it's not seen as the start of the comic book film boom, that happened when the first Blade movie appeared although the success of X-Men is what prompted studios to buy up all the rights to various comic book properties.
    i agree man, i wasnt going against you.. if you read all my posts in this thread, you'll notice that... and i do agree that the Original Blade was the first to create a comic into a film with everything you'd expect in your mind.. i believe it was done very accurately and well executed....

I fuckin can't wait to see 300. I hope it lives up to my expectations.