Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hip Hop And “Knowledge”

Default Hip Hop And “Knowledge”

I think there is a trend of hip hop fans trying to “get knowledge” that is comparable to hip hop fans who try to be thugs and gangsters. This obviously being due to rappers going on about “knowledge this, knowledge that” in their songs and interviews, and also “dropping knowledge” in their songs. “Knowledge” is a heavily overused and misused term by both rappers and their fans. This is demonstrated when you visit a place like KTL and see the word “knowledge” being used in just about every sentence by kids who have no idea what they’re talking about, but want to “have knowledge” like their favourite rappers (not referring to everybody here). Another thing which influences this would be the gross overuse and misuse of the word “knowledge” by 5%’ers. Obviously also an influence in hip hop itself. I mean if you visited a deep discussion area on a rock and roll forum for instance, I’m certain you would find minimal and only appropriate use of the word “knowledge”.

A classic and hilarious example is in the Wu live dvd, where they are interviewing Ghost, and he can barely string a coherent sentence together when he tells us that Wu-Tang is all about the “knowledge”. That moment is so embarrassing. He looks and sounds so incredibly stupid. This is just one example of a common occurrence in hip hop.

Consider this. What does “dropping knowledge” mean? It means nothing. Knowledge of what? If I tell you that I like to finger my arsehole, my parting with this information could be termed “dropping knowledge” just as soon as if I were to share the complete history of Egyptian culture with you.

What does it mean to “have knowledge”? It means nothing. Knowledge of what? If I know who Britney Spears lost her virginity to then you could say I “have knowledge” just as likely as if I had information that could prove the existence of extra terrestrials.

Every living being with a brain “has knowledge” and “drops knowledge” almost every time they speak (if able to). These are not appropriate or applicable terms when used in the situations I am referring to. They essentially don’t mean anything unless it is specified what the “knowledge” is of. eg. “Rza has knowledge of Afrocentric studies”. “Immortal Technique drops knowledge about the US government in his music” (still doesn’t really make sense, but is passable).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for an individuals “quest for knowledge”. I just think that beginning this quest because your favourite rapper says he is “all about the knowledge” is a very bad way to start, especially when you begin by gathering information that is relevant to them but essentially worthless and irrelevant to your own self.

Moral of this thread, please stop using the word “knowledge” because you think it sounds cool. And if you’re interested in building your own “knowledge” then find out who you really are first and study whatever you feel is relevant to that.

Damn, I just dropped mad knowledge.

so what constitutes 'knowledge' in the noel411 model of the universe?
    all the points have been made

Veteran Member

the phrase dropping knowledge has a source. if you want to understand how this term came about you have to go to the source and not those that the source influenced. ghost has been influenced, he's not the source though. a better person to be heard dealing with the phrase 'dropping knowledge' from the wu would be jamel ireef.

the 'science' of the gods(5%) has touched the four corners of the world and many people have been influenced by the gods, so in this day in time, alot of terms and phrases are used as slang(the improper use), such as dropping knowledge.

unless you are the 5% then you will never know why they say what they say. the 5% don't use 'dropping knowledge' as slang. it has a meaning and the integrity of the phrase is preserved by the 5%. on this one, you can't be on the outside looking in.

you say dropping knowledge means nothing...it may mean nothing to you, however it means something to others. dropping knowledge pertains to the knowledge of self just to answer your question.

fyi, the wu-tang(and many other rappers) are not the 5%. there are a few members who are and ghost ain't one of them. the wu is heavily influenced by the gods so of course they will be able to use some of the language whether its correct or not.

rappers who are not the 5%...nas, az, papoose, busta rhymes, ghost, rebel ins, killah priest

if you have questions if a rapper is 5% feel free to ask.

so what constitutes 'knowledge' in the noel411 model of the universe?
    Don't mock me. One day the "noel411 model of the universe" will become a universal reality to all.

Black Man, what you are saying strongly solidifies what I am getting at here. Yes, these terms are relevant to the 5% in their own way. The main point of my thread was about kids being influenced by certain sources and using these terms innappropriately, as well as being led on a path that is not relevant to them.
    Last edited by noel411; 02-06-2007 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    Don't mock me. One day the "noel411 model of the universe" will become a universal reality to all.
    im serious:

what constitutes knowledge?

THE KNOWLEDGE OF SELF

KNOWLEDGE of self is the key to the knowledge of God, according to the saying: "He who knows himself knows God,"[1] and, as it is Written in the Koran, "We will show them Our signs in the world and in themselves, that the truth may be manifest to them." Now nothing is nearer to thee than thyself, and if thou knowest not thyself how canst thou know anything else? If thou sayest "I know myself," meaning thy outward shape, body, face, limbs, and so forth, such knowledge can never be a key to the knowledge of God. Nor, if thy knowledge as to that which is within only extends so far, that when thou art hungry thou eatest, and when thou art angry thou attackest some one, wilt thou progress any further in this path, for the beasts are thy partners in this? But real self-knowledge consists in knowing the following things: What art thou in thyself,

.. ? ..

Veteran Member

Black Man, what you are saying strongly solidifies what I am getting at here. Yes, these terms are relevant to the 5% in their own way. The main point of my thread was about kids being influenced by certain sources and using these terms innappropriately, as well as being led on a path that is not relevant to them.
    understood. there were question you asked that needed cleared up. you may already understand that, there's many who don't, so i answered your questions and gave a little clarity of how things come about.

you showed a problem but didn't give a solution and reason why it was a problem. i said what i said.

what you're speaking on is why I keep saying some people are not qualified to speak on certain things. i don't know what you heard ghost saying or on what dvd, i would never send somebody to ghost to learn about the 5%. he's not qualified for that task.

Quote Originally Posted by LHX View Post
    im serious:

what constitutes knowledge?
    Check a dictionary. My definition shouldn't be any different. The gathering of facts and information through study and/or experience, or any other form.

Everything we know and say (in general) involves the gathering of facts and information, thus why I said what I said in the first post.

Check a dictionary. My definition shouldn't be any different. The gathering of facts and information through study and/or experience, or any other form.

Everything we know and say (in general) involves the gathering of facts and information, thus why I said what I said in the first post.
    so you dont appreciate the results of peoples experience?

somebody like ghostface using rap lyrics to rise out of the slums is not sufficient proof that the man may have knowledge?

That's got nothing to do with anything I have said. Of course Ghost has "knowledge". So does every other living being with a brain. It's impossible to not have "knowledge".

I did a thread yesterday about the use of the word "nigga". It was misunderstood by pretty much everybody who replied, and then closed. This one looks to be headed down the same path.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Man View Post
    understood. there were question you asked that needed cleared up. you may already understand that, there's many who don't, so i answered your questions and gave a little clarity of how things come about.

you showed a problem but didn't give a solution and reason why it was a problem. i said what i said.

what you're speaking on is why I keep saying some people are not qualified to speak on certain things. i don't know what you heard ghost saying or on what dvd, i would never send somebody to ghost to learn about the 5%. he's not qualified for that task.
    There are no questions or solutions in this thread. It is merely some of my thoughts and observations. It has nothing to do with the 5% NGE, and I would not expect Ghost to be a 5%'er, nor would I most of the rest of the Clan.

Correction. There were questions in this thread which I answered myself. Black Man then answered them from a 5% perspective.

Veteran Member

Here's a question you typed.
    What does “dropping knowledge” mean?
    You say it has nothing to do with the 5% but you say.
    thing which influences this would be the gross overuse and misuse of the word “knowledge” by 5%’ers.
    Clan members (the rappers) who are 5%.

ODB, GZA, RZA, Jamel Ireaf, confirmed.

Ugod, meth, and rae, i'm not sure.

ghost said out his own mouth he aint' down.

Cleared up that first part in my last post. The 5% comment was simply to point out one of the sources that brings about the use of the terms I referred to. It has nothing to do with the 5% NGE in itself.

That's got nothing to do with anything I have said. Of course Ghost has "knowledge". So does every other living being with a brain. It's impossible to not have "knowledge".

I did a thread yesterday about the use of the word "nigga". It was misunderstood by pretty much everybody who replied, and then closed. This one looks to be headed down the same path.
    i actually just re-read your original post and decided that its a pretty good rant

you raise some good points and they are worth investigating

i have no objections

i still thing you are a miserable bastard tho

just kidding

good work