Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hip Hop And “Knowledge”

Like it or not, my serious rants are always quality. Just because I don't come in here to discuss the usual topics it doesn't mean I've got nothing worth saying. I just have no interest in most the topics discussed in here, and quite truthfully think a lot of what people discuss here is a waste of time and of no real benefit to anybody. But that's just my opinion.

And no need to joke about me being a miserable bastard. I am and I acknowledge it...Well I'm not literally a bastard, but you know...

I drop so many jewels my threads need security systems.

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    I think there is a trend of hip hop fans trying to “get knowledge” that is comparable to hip hop fans who try to be thugs and gangsters. This obviously being due to rappers going on about “knowledge this, knowledge that” in their songs and interviews, and also “dropping knowledge” in their songs. “Knowledge” is a heavily overused and misused term by both rappers and their fans. This is demonstrated when you visit a place like KTL and see the word “knowledge” being used in just about every sentence by kids who have no idea what they’re talking about, but want to “have knowledge” like their favourite rappers (not referring to everybody here). Another thing which influences this would be the gross overuse and misuse of the word “knowledge” by 5%’ers. Obviously also an influence in hip hop itself. I mean if you visited a deep discussion area on a rock and roll forum for instance, I’m certain you would find minimal and only appropriate use of the word “knowledge”.

A classic and hilarious example is in the Wu live dvd, where they are interviewing Ghost, and he can barely string a coherent sentence together when he tells us that Wu-Tang is all about the “knowledge”. That moment is so embarrassing. He looks and sounds so incredibly stupid. This is just one example of a common occurrence in hip hop.

Consider this. What does “dropping knowledge” mean? It means nothing. Knowledge of what? If I tell you that I like to finger my arsehole, my parting with this information could be termed “dropping knowledge” just as soon as if I were to share the complete history of Egyptian culture with you.

What does it mean to “have knowledge”? It means nothing. Knowledge of what? If I know who Britney Spears lost her virginity to then you could say I “have knowledge” just as likely as if I had information that could prove the existence of extra terrestrials.

Every living being with a brain “has knowledge” and “drops knowledge” almost every time they speak (if able to). These are not appropriate or applicable terms when used in the situations I am referring to. They essentially don’t mean anything unless it is specified what the “knowledge” is of. eg. “Rza has knowledge of Afrocentric studies”. “Immortal Technique drops knowledge about the US government in his music” (still doesn’t really make sense, but is passable).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for an individuals “quest for knowledge”. I just think that beginning this quest because your favourite rapper says he is “all about the knowledge” is a very bad way to start, especially when you begin by gathering information that is relevant to them but essentially worthless and irrelevant to your own self.
    A blind man can see your point as far as the new-found-fad of some form of "knowledge" in a lot of hip-hop, that, in truth is either just pretty words, or quotes that stopped bein' deep by their 3rd or 4th utterance.

While droppin' knowledge is droppin' knowledge, wether it's about global warming or how many units Paul Wall (weak @$$ mofo) sold this week, that's a point I think you should expand on more. That being, that there's useful knowledge and useless knowledge, which is eventual stupidity.

Everything has a pricetag, even knowledge. You knowing who Britney Spears lost "it" to is irrelevant knowledge, but there are thousands, if not millions of people who would stay up nights on the promise that this "knowledge" would be given. Once this "knowledge" is obtained, then what? Nothing. The people who found out have one more fact that can lead them all of nowhere.

The knowledge of proving that extra-terrestrials is a lot more valuble on a global scale. Not only would it attract much more press, but the obtaining of this knowledge could be taken in many different directions by the people fortunate enough to obtain it. A supposed 'conspiracy theorist' who wrote a book about 'Area 51' may see a surge of sales do to your discovery. A child may take up astronomy as a passion, etc. So, it depends on what the "knowledge" spoken of actually consists of, that determines wether it's true knowledge and not b.s.

I agree also, with what you said about not taking up a particular field of "knowledge" just because your fav. rapper spoke upon it and it has nothing to do with you. It's the same thing as d**k-ridin'.
    "Die before you die."-Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

Quote Originally Posted by iniquity View Post

.. ? ..
    Word 'em up cuzzin.

"Odd as it may seem, great struggles such as the ones you see emerging from my journals are not always visible to participants. Much depends on what people dream in the secrecy of their hearts. I have always been as concerned with the shaping of dreams as with the shaping of actions. Between the lines of my journals is the struggle with humankind's view of itself. A sweaty contest on a field where motives from our darkest past can well up out of an unconscious resorvoir and become events with which we must not only live, but contend. It is the hydra-headed monster that always attacks from your blind side. I pray, therefore, that when you have traversed my portion of the Golden Path you will no longer be innocent children, dancing to music you cannot hear."-The Stolen Journals

"Die before you die."-Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

Well made points noel and Shrop. Honestly I believe that it all has to do with not trying to seem stupid.

Hip-Hop has always been looked at like an idiots form of music and the general public associate rappers with being uneducated street hustlers with no ambition. Now most of that I also believes comes from the vision that's seen of hip-hop on BET and MTV. You wouldn't take a man wearing platinum grills in his mouth serious if he was teaching astrology. Most wouldn't even believe that they graduated high school.

So in an effort to stymie the stereotype they "kick knowledge" but it ends up being half thought out and just a mish mash of big words that's made to sound inteligent. Honestly they should stop asking rappers about the current state of hip-hop and ask them the current state of education or politics in america. Get a serious discussion going with them and then just maybe they'd think more about their lyrics and less about their status.
    Still Ain't Nuttin Ta Fuk Wit

Prince Rai

The word Knowledge means generally the same with many people, the use of it however is very different.

I understand the point the original poster made about the overuse of "knowledge". He made a very fair point as it may be, that we all sometimes overuse and thereby water down the potential full meaning of the word "knowledge".

Veteran Member

IMO, the problem is that a lot of the "knowledge" in question is rather suspect opinion or just outright false. IMO, if you call it knowledge, it should be able to be proven correct.
    And what shall we toast?

Madness! Combustion! Liberty and the end of all law! The invisible international! The toast is anarchy!

Prince Rai

perhaps it is objective knowledge and not subjective?

What Black Man explained in his first post is right. Its just one of those original terms that just lead to another and now its something else that anyone can loosely say. I.e. Black Man dropped the knowledge in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Man View Post
    Here's a question you typed.

You say it has nothing to do with the 5% but you say.

Clan members (the rappers) who are 5%.

ODB, GZA, RZA, Jamel Ireaf, confirmed.

Ugod, meth, and rae, i'm not sure.

ghost said out his own mouth he aint' down.
    AllHipHop.com: Are you still affiliated with the Five Percent Nation of Islam?

GZA: I’ve learned a lot, but I’ve grown. First and for most, I am Self. People get categorized as a whole and that’s how people begin to perceive them. The Nation of Gods and Earths was just the first stop. I am still Justice. I learned mad lessons back in the day. I am a part of the Nation, but I wouldn’t say that I am a Five Percenter.

I don't mean to nitpick, Black Man, I mostly agree with you in this thread.
    Peace.

Seems like I remember RZA also saying recently he wasnt really down with the 5percenters anymore.

Shropsher, that was a good post, but you may have missed the point of what I was saying. In my examples of "dropping knowledge" and "having knowledge" I was not trying to assess the value of different types of "knowledge", but rather trying to demonstrate the looseness of the actual expressions "dropping knowledge" and "having knowledge".

Bloo raises some interesting theories.

IMO, the problem is that a lot of the "knowledge" in question is rather suspect opinion or just outright false. IMO, if you call it knowledge, it should be able to be proven correct.
    Ahhh, well done. A good point here. Not on every level. It is a relevant point which comes into play when I have referred to the "misuse" of the word "knowledge" and the expressions associated with it. However, even if you are aware of some information which is false, it is still "knowledge", because you have "knowledge" of that false information. But I see where you're coming from and if I have interpreted you correctly then I agree with what you have said. The way people actually use the word "knowledge", in the sense of how I have described its use in my initial post, is often inappropriate for what they mean to indicate by it. Damn, that was a confusing point to make. I hope people can understand what I'm getting at.

What Black Man explained in his first post is right. Its just one of those original terms that just lead to another and now its something else that anyone can loosely say. I.e. Black Man dropped the knowledge in this thread.
    Black Man dropped so many jewels I'm thinking of putting his post in a glass cabinet...haha, sorry. Didn't mean anything by it. Just can't resist.

im pinning this up so noel can have his moment of glory

(dont worry - he paid me)
    all the points have been made

Hip Hop To Me Is Me. >> Hardcore.. > So I Think Its The Same 4 All Of U.. > Hardcore
    Trip

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

4th Disciple:
    "when i was young, i strongly seeked for the knowledge
    i never went to college but acknowledged the fact that knowledge was first
    thru the academy of the universe
    takin everything for what its worth.."

i think noel is saying that any information we have is knowledge but that there are different kinds of it.

true.
    Christianity = White Supremacy