Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Respect The Architects

Peace to the god(zilla) LuckyTheWonderDog's Avatar

Thanks man. If all links were working this would probably be the best thread I've ever found on this site!

The odd track is one thing, but you're giving us hours of classic shit here!

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TAURO, DA GRIM LATIN View Post
    Is it that surprising that a lot of people here don't know the history?, theres a lot of people here below the age of 20 so for them krs 1 and rakim is as old as it gets.

Props for the links, I don't listen to nearly enough of this old-school stuff.
    IT'S PRETTY SAD MAN I'VE BEEN AN AVID HIP HOPPER SINCE I SAW THE RUN DMC VIDEO "DOWN WITH THE KING" BUT EVEN BEFORE THAT WITH LL COOL J'S "I'M BAD" AND EVEN NWA SHIT I'VE BEEN A HIP HOPPER AND IT'S SAD THAT CATS NOT JUST HERE BUT EVEN IN MY HOOD DON'T RESPECT THE HISTORY AND CATS THAT CAME BEFORE THEM THEY RATHER AMP UP JAY-Z (WHICH I BLAME BET, MTV AND ALL MEDIA OUTLETS FOR NOT SHINING LIGHT ON THE MORE POSITIVE FIGURES LIKE TALIB KWELI)

To be fair, it's a lot easier to rep the old stuff if you lived through it or at least within reach of it. If a younger kid gets into hip-hop now, it's a fairly tall order for them to check out every good artist from the last 30 years.

If you hear Jay-Z and like it, going out and getting records by everyone from Cold Crush & Furious Five through Run DMC to Stetsasonic, Public Enemy, NWA, Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, Slick Rick to De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest and co to Wu-Tang, Lords Of the Underground, Nas, Mobb Deep through to the recent stuff they got into in the first place.

It's a lot to take in!

I love hip-hop and have always chipped away bit by bit at the history, til I know a lot about the whole span, but I wouldn't really expect a lot of people to do the same. Liking Jay-Z or Lil Wayne or someone makes you about as likely to like Cold Crush Brothers as liking Bruce Springsteen does!! I'm not saying you won't like em, but that they're different enough for it to be solely down to an individual's taste.

Just my thoughts.

Still superb thread. And hopefully a few more kids will dip their toes in the birth of this shit.
    Last edited by LuckyTheWonderDog; 11-14-2007 at 01:46 PM.

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...

damn..this thread is an important thing...we are definatly in need of some serious hiphop history knowdledge....i repeat : this is serious..make this .............................................. STICKY.. peace n much love to memory

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinx View Post
    To be fair, it's a lot easier to rep the old stuff if you lived through it or at least within reach of it. If a younger kid gets into hip-hop now, it's a fairly tall order for them to check out every good artist from the last 30 years.

If you hear Jay-Z and like it, going out and getting records by everyone from Cold Crush & Furious Five through Run DMC to Stetsasonic, Public Enemy, NWA, Big Daddy Kane, Rakim, Slick Rick to De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest and co to Wu-Tang, Lords Of the Underground, Nas, Mobb Deep through to the recent stuff they got into in the first place.

It's a lot to take in!

I love hip-hop and have always chipped away bit by bit at the history, til I know a lot about the whole span, but I wouldn't really expect a lot of people to do the same. Liking Jay-Z or Lil Wayne or someone makes you about as likely to like Cold Crush Brothers as liking Bruce Springsteen does!! I'm not saying you won't like em, but that they're different enough for it to be solely down to an individual's taste.

Just my thoughts.

Still superb thread. And hopefully a few more kids will dip their toes in the birth of this shit.
    YEAH TRUE BUT C'MON LET'S BE REALISTIC HERE LIL' WANYE SUCKS BUT BECAUSE HE APPEALS TO THESE TRANSLUCENT TEENIE BOPPERS WHO ARE IN THE HERE AND NOW WON'T RECALL FIVE YEARS FROM NOW, YOUR HOT TODAY GONE TOMORROW

^^ Oh yeah, but that means they're after something different to you, so you can't really begrudge them for not wanting to know who was doing what in 1980. It's almost like expecting Britney fans to learn about Cold Crush Brothers.

Still, downloaded all the links that are still working. Loving it!!!! Thanks again Memoryman this is a really unexpected treat!

Could maybe rename this thread though, as half the people on this forum probably think it's about a group called The Architects!
    Last edited by LuckyTheWonderDog; 11-15-2007 at 09:33 AM.

the links should be working now. let me know if you find any dead ones.

You're a fuckin legend mate!!! I can't wait to listen to the Caz vs Mel battles!!!!!!!!!

A few still dead though:

The last three from "New York At Night" @ Harlem World 1981

DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince on Capitol Radio 1987 (Part.2)
    Last edited by LuckyTheWonderDog; 11-16-2007 at 04:25 AM.

those should be working now too.

post some Fat boys music.

i'll post more stuff if i get a sticky for this thread.

bump

bump

Nice job on the sticky!!!!!

I'll post some interesting articles on the history of hip-hop when I get time.

Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel @ Christ The King High School - 1980 w/ Cipher Of Sounds
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/50089153153677/

Treacherous Three @ Club Negril 1982
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/5009227f81c422/