View Poll Results: How do you search for the meaning of life?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rational Thought/ philosophy

5 35.71%
  • Meditation/mysticism

2 14.29%
  • Orthodox religious practice

0 0%
  • Life experiences

4 28.57%
  • Other (explain)

3 21.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to find the/a meaning of life?

Veteran Member

Default What's the best way to find the/a meaning of life?

Which method do you use?

I would have to say its a combination of all things you listed and then some. Its a lifelong inner search based on alot of trial and error(but is it really error if you learn from it). Lots of meditating on life experiences, studying what the likeness and difference of orthodox religions are, the reading/discussing of philosophies, and the list goes on and on.

ONE.

I'll Fuck You Up TeknicelStylez's Avatar

Take a whole shit load of drugs, most people say they know the meaning of life when they fucked up out their brains.

Big Pimpin Power Ranger Slappin Hoes Since 1986

actually yea, the proper use of lsd and other mind opening drugs definately plays a role. ONE.

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

Why is it everyone is so quick to think that drugs are gonna enlighten them or give them guidence?

I read shit like that, and think about how I use to say similar things, now that shit is just sad.

The meaning of life is relative to the time and placement of a said person. A starving child in Africa will adopt a totally different meaning of life to some rich kid in Beverly Hills. You don't need mind-altering substances to tell you that much.

Chicks dig giant robots

.. Rational Thought/philosophy + Life experiences ..

Uhm, just live it?

Life experiences teach you the most about life. Rational Thought and philosophy on its own will leave you lost. Meditation will teach you about yourself. Religion is kind of like an easy route, following what is said, no real meaning of life in it in my view.

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

for me its a combo of rational thought/philosophy and life experiences...

i dont feel like elaborating now though cuz i havent eaten breakfast yet

take a piece of paper. write "what is the purpose of my life?" and then write answers. just write. i mean it. some of it will be bullshit, maybe because you refuse, you think this is stupid, some of it will be stuff that others put into your head but ultimately true meaning things will come up. i myself didnt get to the point where i found THE meaning of my life but it helps me to get my focus back on things that are important to me.

to me this approach is a mix of rationality and spirituality because some answers surely come from your soul. some might break you, make you cry.
    test

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

thanks, GAYLORD!

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

Live everyday like it's your last. You never know when your time is up. I've had my time extended, but for how long? I'm wasting it typing this bullshit.

Veteran Member

Ego death.
    And what shall we toast?

Madness! Combustion! Liberty and the end of all law! The invisible international! The toast is anarchy!

The best way to find the meaning of life depends on who you ask.

Personally, my way consists of all of the above in this order:

Organized Religious Practice
    --------------------------------
    I use this as my foundation because it reminds me of how many things I'm not in control of and how many things I should be thankful for. Since I don't believe in things like, "luck" and "coincidence", which basically try to pass off the idea of something happening, "just because", I take this as seriously as I can. While some may be under the impression that this is "easy", the only time it's "easy", is when all you do is memorize a few lines to a book and live the rest of your time as any common person with no direction. To truly follow your doctrine to the letter is the farthest thing from easy, especially if you live in a time where people are afraid or suspect of you because of what you practice. Aside from that, the more you try to stay on the right track, the more the calling to do wrong tries to knock you off center. Anyone, religious or not, knows this. So ease has all of nothing to do with it. In truth, the ease of it comes from either doin' it half-assed, or just not doing it at all. As the observation of most people in the world can surely verify. Personally, I'm provided with great comfort in the belief that this short life isn't all that there is and that doing good will benefit me here and abroad.

Rational Thought & Philosophy
    ----------------------------------
    Aside from harvesting both from the first category, there are many other examples that I've chosen to incorporate into my way of life. Patience is key and also stressed in my way of life. Since I tend to be a bit more hot-headed than most, I seek out as many writings on patience as I can find. Right now, the principles of Taoism help a great deal, because Taosists believe that once you've lost your inner peace, everything in and around you has begun the process of meltdown. For life in general, one needs strategic methods to be broken down as well. To see what people are doing, and what I can do in turn, I read a lot of Chinese classics on war. The Art of War, The 36 Stratagems of Ancient China, The Art of Peace and, though not Chinese, Hagakure helps to sharpen the view of a warrior in any age. Most if not all of these prinicples I can easily relate to my foundation and starting point, so they are more than useful. I consider them priceless.

Meditation & Mysticism
    ---------------------------
    Another category that's closely related to the first two. Meditation isn't always sitting with your legs crossed, back straight, palms up and eyes closed. It can be just a deep reflection on something you read, heard or experienced. My foundation emphasizes meditation on it's principles and rules to see just why we're ordered to do certain things and sum up how it's execution will make us better people. In the practice of martial arts, which I've always been fond of, meditation is actually a starting point in most styles. It clears the mind and calms the soul when done properly. Sometimes I meditate just to calm myself down. Other times, I have a specific intention. I once used meditation to assist my dreaming capabilities and it worked much better than any charm. I see meditation as a bit of a gift because all you need is a quiet spot and determination to use it. Mysticism is touchy, because those who don't think that anything you can't see comes from the devil, think that you're a 'magician'. I began the study of Chi Kung a few months ago and I've taken up the practice. Initially, it was for health benefits, and it still is. As I continue to study though, I find that such "unusual" things as ESP (extra sensory perception), clairvoyance, telekinesis, and anything else you can relate to Star Wars is directly linked to the mastery of my body's energy. This alone tells me that mankind is much more than a fantastically designed pile of dust and it helps me further appreciate my foundation.

Life Experiences
    ------------------
    This, I think, is where the other categories manifest as to just how well I've payed attention to them and how well I carry them with me. The "test" if you will. I'm not one who has to make a mistake in order to learn from it. A wiseman once said, "Only a fool wants to learn from their own mistakes. If you're smart, you learn from the mistakes of others." I use life past life experiences of myself and others, as personal references on how to deal with current situations that I face. I've deaded quite a few fights in my life, just by talking or apologizing and felt pretty damn good afterwards. At the time, I wasn't thinking about Dr. King, Ghandi or Lincoln, all I thought was, "What's the purpose??", which is exactly where the above mentioned people derived their ways.
    Anyone can say, "Life is a test." and this is true, but if you look at it deeper, it's a constant bombardment of short quizzes that even your so-called "friends" will try to grade you on, when they should be helpin' you study for them, forgetting that they themselves are in the exact same boat and it's sinkin' fast. Even then, with the people who try to judge, therein lies a test. Will I say the typical, "Don't you judge me! You're no better than me!" or, will I say, "You're right, I did screw up, but I'm trying to do better. Just the fact that I feel bad about it tells you this. Why not try to help me instead of bangin' your imaginary gavel at me? Or are you really my friend??" The former is a quick-fix. We all like to yell and get all defensive, but the latter, though a lot harder to execute, will leave us with the good feeling of having been the voice of reason.

Other
    -------
    To touch lightly on the subject of drugs, they alone can't help you find anything except an early grave. Cocaine is deadly, but the coca plant is not. Don't think for one instant that anything that puts you into an enhanced mental state is evil, because not all of it is. Study and find out what grows in the earth that can make you think deeper if you so choose. Once found, have a specific purpose in using it. Don't disrespect it and abuse it. Always remember moderation because it saves lives. Even too much rain can kill crops.
    "Die before you die."-Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)