1 50.00%
  • 3: Good

0 0%
  • 2: Boring

0 0%
  • 1: Wackadoccious

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night (1997)

Default Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night (1997)

Camp Lo's debut album is really ill, sadly its their only great work as their follow-up is pretty bad IMO. Mostly produced by near-genius Ski (from Original Flavor), the album features a really jazzy sound, and with funny, slangish and positive lyrics, the whole album vibe is really chilly, it personally gets me in a summer-mood. It's pretty underrated, but most hip-hop fans knows "Luchini" a classic record and their biggest hit:

Luchini video

Rate&Discuss. I'll give it a 8,5/10
    Last edited by 4-Bar Killer; 02-14-2007 at 01:21 PM.

I downloaded this album a week ago to check it out because it had been recommended over at my underated albums thread.

Not bad, like you said it has a very jazzy sound, upbeat party vibes but in a wholesome way, not in a booty shaking stripper joint kind of way.

I have to say though that no track really sparked my attention, it felt very pedestrian to me, I can see why people would enjoy this album but frankly it didn't do much for me.

Lyrics 8/10
    Production 4/10
    Overall 5/10

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Fearless Vampire Killer UNCLE RUCKUS's Avatar

Nice one 4-Bar Killer
    Great record! has a unique sound and energy. They use their own venacular and conjure up images of the past (mostly the seventies) but their style was ahead of its time. They took way too long to follow this up though and never lived up to this records again. The cover is a play on a Marvin Gayes I Want You classic; people should check this if they never heard it before

Quote Originally Posted by TAURO, DA GRIM LATIN View Post
    Production 4/10
    Are you sure about this, hehe? Cause I like most of the beats, try to listen to these:

Luchini
    B-Side To Hollywood
    Sparkle
    Swing
    Black Nostaljack (fucking crazy classic sample, you gotta like it)
    Coolie High

I can see what you mean, sure this is no masterpiece, but still a fresh album, which really stands out.

Maybe I shouldn't have rated the production so low but I honestly didn't think much of the production, ofcourse thats not to say I think it's shit in anyway because this album shits on a lot of albums but this is unfortunatly one of those decent albums that I just don't feel. I did like it but not enough to own it.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

-

Luchini and Coolie High are my favorite songs on the album. The album was ok. What's the name of the song that they did with the guy from Digable Planets? I like that song also. Did ya'll see Black Nostaljack video? Jimmie Walker and Bernadette Stanis of Good Times tv show were in the video.

classic 10 unlike anything ever if i ever have a talk show my entrance song will be luchini

-

I would like to know what happened to their latest album A Piece Of The Action. They had a single called Gotcha from the album because i've heard it several times. I can't stand record companies that don't release artists albums because it's not fair to the artist's fans.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TAURO, DA GRIM LATIN View Post

Production 4/10
    omg, dood did u hear Black Connection? Thats one of the illest beats of 97, SkiBeatz, the guy behind most of 'Reasonable Doubt' did this song and most of the beats.

This album ooooozewds style,

This album is classic for numerous reasons. But what made this album so fresh was the way these guys, Sonny Cheeba, Geuchi Suede and Ski, understood hiphop, where it came from, and re worked it into a whole new style. Everyone talks about the flows, and the Bronx, ol' school style back-and-forth rhymes and verses of the two emcees. But what few people talk about it the main producer on this album, Ski AKA Joe Chink. Ski is the same dude who did Jay-Z's "Streets is Watching", "Politics as Usual" and "Who You Wit". This guy has a skill for taking obscure old tracks and reworking them into the beats we hear on this album. He's the predecessor of Kanye West.

Check out the liner notes and see what samples he speeds up to make some incredible beats. No wonder Jay loved Kanye, he was the new Ski.

The other thing worth mentioning is STYLE this album has. Alot rappers talk about their style, but no one else in the biz has such a distinct sense of style. And I'm not talking about the clothes. Its the delivery and the rythmes these guys come up with for their flow. For further proof, check out the later album, Let's Do It Again, 2002. Although not a classic, anyone who digs Lo's style will still get down to that album.

its funny I pulled that lp out about a week ago and let me tell you its a very underated lp crazy flows and production a must have peace..

I want you to put your hands together and
    welcome him to the stage -- a big round of applause for Jackson Heights'
    own, Mr. Randy Watson! Yesssss!!!! Randy Watson!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostlaced View Post
    omg, dood did u hear Black Connection? Thats one of the illest beats of 97, SkiBeatz, the guy behind most of 'Reasonable Doubt' did this song and most of the beats.

This album ooooozewds style,

This album is classic for numerous reasons. But what made this album so fresh was the way these guys, Sonny Cheeba, Geuchi Suede and Ski, understood hiphop, where it came from, and re worked it into a whole new style. Everyone talks about the flows, and the Bronx, ol' school style back-and-forth rhymes and verses of the two emcees. But what few people talk about it the main producer on this album, Ski AKA Joe Chink. Ski is the same dude who did Jay-Z's "Streets is Watching", "Politics as Usual" and "Who You Wit". This guy has a skill for taking obscure old tracks and reworking them into the beats we hear on this album. He's the predecessor of Kanye West.

Check out the liner notes and see what samples he speeds up to make some incredible beats. No wonder Jay loved Kanye, he was the new Ski.
    The other thing worth mentioning is STYLE this album has. Alot rappers talk about their style, but no one else in the biz has such a distinct sense of style. And I'm not talking about the clothes. Its the delivery and the rythmes these guys come up with for their flow. For further proof, check out the later album, Let's Do It Again, 2002. Although not a classic, anyone who digs Lo's style will still get down to that album.

for me its a classic album
    without a shadow of a doubt

Veteran Member

co-fuckin sign! this album was ahead of itīs time. It still feels fresh and new, even though itīs 10 years old. The coherence of the album is brilliant, and something rarely seen in hiphop albums today. Great, unique style both beatwise and rhymewise. etc etc... classic, no doubt.

I decided to pull up this thread since I was listening to this album today.

It is true....I rate this album a 10/10.

Tauro its too bad you don't enjoy this album....maybe its not that you don't like it....its this album doesn't like YOU!

-

Anybody heard their new album Black Hollywood? It came out last month. I haven't peeped it yet.

10/10

Why come I'm the only one who's favorite track is Negro League?

That track is nanerz