2 11.76%

7 41.18%

6 35.29%

1 5.88%

1 5.88%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NaS - i am...

Default Twiztids Nas Reviews: ''I am/Lost tapes''

Since Lost tapes were cut from ''I am'' due to the internet Leak, I decided to blend them together to make a collective review.

1) Intro Album intro: Complete waste of a great beat. Too much talking. 6/10

2) NY State of mind part 2: A premier collab, which as I'll say alot is one of the best match ups in hip hops. I like the backing piano sample on here more than the O.G NYSOM. 8/10

3) Hate me now: A controversial track since it was very ''Unlike'' Nas. The beat is fucking ace, I love the Carmina Burana" by Carl Orff sample. Very epic sounding.2Nd best diddy beat behind Victory. The problem is, the HOOK is HORRIBLE. 8/10 (Because of the beat)

4) Small world: One of Nas best tracks of his career. The beat tells a story in itself. And Nas just MURDERS this with his storytelling. 10/10

5) Favor for a favor: This album is littered with amazing beats. And having Scarface on your track says ALOT of Nas. Two legends sparring back and forth. This does not have a sample, and I am always a fan of loops and not sampled beats. 9/10

6) We will survive: One of the rare tribute songs that didnt sound cliche and self serving. The fact that he mentions Tupac says ALOT about Nas. They didnt get along, that was obvious, but he showed alot of class for this. And the beat itself is sad and brooding but very promising. 9/10

7) Ghetto prisoners: This song works on alot of levels. The synth used for the loop was cool, It worked well with the bass line. Nas' lyrics werent his tightest on this, but were rememberable. 7/10

8) You wont see me tonight: A very ''Unlike'' Nas song, I say that about most tracks he's done with Timbaland, it just doesnt work. Even with the angelic Aaliyah on it, Thats the only good thing about this song. 6/10 (Due to aaliyah)

9) I want to talk to you: Not the best song on the album, Its actually a low point. I was never a fan of Nas' political verses. 6/10

10) Dr Knockboot: Another bad song. Its not his best at the very least and honestly, Even the beat is trash. This would only work is Foxy was on it with him. 5/10

11) Life is what you make it: After two lacking songs, He needed to hit hard on the next track. And he DEFINITELY does. DMX was at his best in this time, it was his era, and to do a rare outside of the Ruff rydas camp track, meant alot. 9/10

12) Big things: I dont know why he tries the sped up verse thing as often as he has. It doesnt work, sadly, Since the beat was so good. 6/10

13) Nas is like: I swear I'll say it a million times, Nas is at his best when on a premo track. 10/10

14) k.i.s.s.i.n.g: This track is corny and honestly one of Nas' worse. 2/10

15) Money is my bitch: This fits better than the last track. The beat works on alot of levels. The theme is kinda cliche, but Rap is a cliche in itself. I hate the hook, so thats why I rate is so low. 7/10

16) Undying love: A story song, which is ALWAYS welcomes from Nas, This is a perfect end to a great album.About his girl cheating and Nas getting at both of them. 9/10

Overall: 117/160

Lost Tapes

1) Doo Rags:The hook is wack, the best is decent but kinda soft, But his wordplay works decent on here. 6/10

2) My Way: This could have fit on I AM. The sample piano is amazing used. Nas lyrics tell a short story in it. 8/10

3) U gotta Love it: The bass line hits hard on this joint. Lyrically superb. Even the affirmative action sample works well. 8/10

4) Nothing Lasts forever: This is a ''Nas beat'' if I ever heard one. Or at least a later career Nas beat. Lyrically okay, but not amazing. 7/10

5) No ideas original: A great alchemist track, Though the sample has been used alot, This was one of the first. 9/10

6) Blaze a 50: Clearly was a left off I AM track. The beat is fucking amazing. This song itself is one of Nas greatest stories. This is 10/10 forever and a day.

7) Everybodys crazy: Where's Redman when you need him. That would have been a great guest on this track. 8/10

8) Purple: This tells so much knowledge its insane. 10/10

9) Drunk by myself: I dont drink but this tells the story of someone whos lost in the bottle. A story once again, and I can never get sick of Nas telling em. 8/10

10) Black Zombie: One of the weak songs of the Album. It sounds like a stillmatic leave off. 6/10

11) Poppa was a playa: Kanye, your beats like this are missed. Lyrically, Once again, Amazing. 9/10

12) Fetus: Was told to be the idea that ''I am'' was going to be about as a double lp. And listening to his voice and flow. This could have been on that album. Amazing story of him in the womb. 10/10

Overall: 99/120

OVERALL WITH BOTH ALBUMS: 216/280 (Combined, its an amazing album. And even single album wise, Its great)

well not all tracks from "Lost Tapes" were from the original 'I Am' and a lot of the weaker songs were recorded after the original promo leaked in '99. original sampler was:

"Fetus", "Poppa Was A Player", "Project Windows", "Nas is Like", "Dr. Knockboots Do's & Dont's", "Blaze A 50", "Sometimes I Wonder", "Wanna Play Rough", "Hardest Thing To Do (is Stay Alive)", "Day Dreamin', Stay Schemin", "Drunk By Myself", "Small World", "Money's My Bitch" and "We Will Survive".

I know that "Hate Me Now" was supposed to be there from jump too, and "Undying Love" was supposed to be the end of disc 1, the first two tracks on disc 2 would be "After Life (Intro)" followed by "Amongst Kings". the tape version of 'I Am' features the "Nature Shines" interlude and the Bravehearts track "Pray", I also believe "New York Sate of Mind Part II" was from the original sessions, he probably got hooked up with both beats (Nas is Like) at the same time. Maybe even "Come Do Me" was from OG sessions. I played around quite alot with the original tracks and everything and with the tracks from those sessions it's EASY to piece together an album that's just as dope as "It Was Written". fuck Steve Stoute!

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

bump

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

This album has some hidden jewels man. Favor for a Favor is one of the best beats I've ever heard.

So many bodies on my microphone the shit's haunted

Going back and reading these reviews i did (sometimes 3 or 4 years ago) is pretty funny.

I still really like I am... for what it is.

I just skip the sippable tracks.

I think nowadays i can get over a weak track here and there more easily than i could in the past.

twiztid_wutang's reviews makes me remember to listen to Lost Tapes again, Purple is one of my favourite Nas tracks.

Fetus is amazing also.

Nas makes those tracks which so many rappers wish they could (RZA's See The Joy is an example of what most mc's would do with the Fetus subject matter, not that it's terrible, just simplistic).

One of the few mc's whos complexity of subject matter and the narrative which is creates makes him lyrically superior, rather than just complexity of word play like most mc's (which he also possesses).

Just listen to Undying Love or Blaze A 50, i can't think of maybe any other mc's with that level of story telling skill.

NaS Is Like is one of my favorite songs EVER!!!

That beat is sex.

i only listen to "I Am" like this:

01. "Fetus (Belly Button Window)"
    02. "Poppa Was A Player"
    03. "Proejct Windows" (Ft. Ron Isley)
    04. "New York State Of Mind Pt. 2"
    05. "Blaze A 50"
    06. "Money Is My Bitch"
    07. "Day Dreamin / Stay Schemin"
    08. "Small World"
    09. "Find Ya Wealth"
    10. "Dr. Knockboot's Do's & Don'ts"
    11. "Wanna Play Rough?!"
    12. "HardestThingToDoIsStayAlive"
    13. "Drunk By Myself"
    14. "Sometimes I Wonder" (Ft. Nature)
    15. "NaS is Like"
    16. "We Will Survive"
    17. "Undying Love"
    18. "After Life...(Outro)"
    19. "Amongst Kings"

4/5