Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Religion... And Its Meaning

this could turn into a discussion of semantics

i do see what you are saying
    all the points have been made

Veteran Member

This IS a semantics thread. :-)

But anyways, let me clarify my position.

Now, by free will, I mean action based on impulses stemming from the one called "I". I propose that instead of action stemming from I, that all action is based on the mathematics of our brains programming, stored in a normally inaccessible area that for the purposes of this dicussion, I will refer to as "Other". This mathematics propels us into perpetual motion. Now, the illusion of free will stems from the seperation of I and Other. I has no idea the existence of Other and instead, except for the philosophers, ignore the source of free will. However, when asked about free will, agents of I think and ponder. Surely there is a source, a reason, a cause, correct? How do you know free will exists? If your answer is anything but "Because I.", if there is any rationalizing, if there is any thought required, then I, which is You, is not the source. It is something seperate from I, which can also be said to be the ego.

Should I meet Other there exists, based on the specifics of an individuals equation, the possibility of a crash similar to a computer error. I is most certainly rebooted and reset and that may undermine the functioning of Other, essentially destroying the will, free or otherwise.

Essentially, the mind can be manipulated like any mathematically based machine. Just like if you give contradictory commands to a computer, the mind too will crash.
    And what shall we toast?

Madness! Combustion! Liberty and the end of all law! The invisible international! The toast is anarchy!

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

^^ I don't think you clarified anything with that.

Everyone has choices to make. There will always be things that influence our choices, but ultimatley they're our personal choices.
    Last edited by Slippy The Pimp; 03-02-2007 at 05:49 PM.

Veteran Member

Sure, I clarified a lot of things. Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but I expanded on a lot from the previous post. Anyways, to see the truth in the matter, you've got to undergo ego death. You'll then see whats left when the concept of self is stripped away. You don't have choices to MAKE, but to observe.
    And what shall we toast?

Madness! Combustion! Liberty and the end of all law! The invisible international! The toast is anarchy!

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Os3y3ris View Post
    Sure, I clarified a lot of things. Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but I expanded on a lot from the previous post. Anyways, to see the truth in the matter, you've got to undergo ego death. You'll then see whats left when the concept of self is stripped away. You don't have choices to MAKE, but to observe.
    I can dig it.

But, you can't land a plane on Auto-Pilot.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Os3y3ris View Post
    This IS a semantics thread. :-)

But anyways, let me clarify my position.

Now, by free will, I mean action based on impulses stemming from the one called "I". I propose that instead of action stemming from I, that all action is based on the mathematics of our brains programming, stored in a normally inaccessible area that for the purposes of this dicussion, I will refer to as "Other". This mathematics propels us into perpetual motion. Now, the illusion of free will stems from the seperation of I and Other. I has no idea the existence of Other and instead, except for the philosophers, ignore the source of free will. However, when asked about free will, agents of I think and ponder. Surely there is a source, a reason, a cause, correct? How do you know free will exists? If your answer is anything but "Because I.", if there is any rationalizing, if there is any thought required, then I, which is You, is not the source. It is something seperate from I, which can also be said to be the ego.

Should I meet Other there exists, based on the specifics of an individuals equation, the possibility of a crash similar to a computer error. I is most certainly rebooted and reset and that may undermine the functioning of Other, essentially destroying the will, free or otherwise.

Essentially, the mind can be manipulated like any mathematically based machine. Just like if you give contradictory commands to a computer, the mind too will crash.
    this is good

Veteran Member

I've never been religious but I simply see it as an archaic and organized systems of beliefs that guide the way you live. Because there are so many different religions that exist in many diverse cultures, whose to say which is the right one? Many people believe that in order to be content in life you have to fulffill the needs of your mind, body and spirit. Religion fills your spiritual needs and therefore gives meaning to many people's lives. However, because people take it so seriously there's so much controversey that leads to unecessary conflict. In my opinion I think you can still be ethical and moral without being religious and therefore think we are better off without religion. I'm not an atheist although I can't stand people who do crazy irrational things because of their religion.

The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar

up

Religion is the difference between the Truth that we have identified and work with daily, and that which has yet to be discovered. A good religion will encourage those who follow it to strive for the Truth and support them in doing so. As a result mankind evolves and reaps the benefits getting closer to seeing everything in its purest form as Truth. Some call it finding God. Others call it enlightenment.

There are religions on Earth which do nothing to further mankind and his knowledge of the Truth. They serve no purpose.

The only thing that is perpetual is the Truth.