Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wisemen Approaching---lyrics interpretation..

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

i hand you my page, could u feel my drift?
    my heart is steelmine stiff, diamond cave rich..
    havent been able to get this line outta my head lately....shit is just too ill..and im still tryin to fully understand the meaning(s) behind it

Default An Exercise in Interpretation: attempted breakdown of Mixture of Muhammad...

in honor of the fact that we're gonna (FINALLY!!) start seeing some new material from these cats very soon, i wanted to resurrect this thread and spark some thought/discussion on the art these cats produce..

i'm gonna start off by taking a look at the lyrics to Mixture of Muhammad, then later on when i get the time i'm gonna look at some more tracks from this album and other Bronze/Kevlaar stuff from other sources ("Streets is My Home" for instance)..

i'm sure that I am gonna get alot of this wrong--not only the interpretations but even just WHAT it is that's being said but that's what this whole thing is for and hopefully the brother Kevlaar might be gracious enough to come through and bless us with a look inside the mind of the writer here..

Mixture of Muhammad
    performed by Kevlaar 7
    produced by Bronze Nazareth

heyyo, guru with rhyme voodoo, guns big as Mutulu

Mutulu Shakur---link from wikipedia

through two realms, yo watch me cool off hell
    My grill ain't icey but for real i gets dicey and slice three books into the Gospel of Me

always loved that "Gospel of Me" line...

Fifty states of mayhem and ?ma? breaks bread,
    dread sky for the basis, gimme my brush to paint this

the first bunch of lines in this song it feels like we're getting warmed up to the energetic, crazy part that's gonna come soon and "gimme my brush to paint this" is a perfect way to visualize that...Kevlaar is a MAD visual lyricist using poetically detailed descriptions (as we'll see soon)..

Sang praises at faces, that mandated us nameless
    now flavors are tasteless, the wind just takes it

i think the first line may be a reference to what Killah Priest makes note of often: the image of a white Christ, an image which has been speculated to be of Cesare Borgia....and then the whites mandated blacks nameless by making them slaves, pure property instead of people, breaking up families, etc...

alot in that one line, no?

I have a gift intended to uplift, come on vocal sample lady yo SING THAT SHIT!

acknowledging the rolling eerie voice that forms the backbone of this dope beat from Bronze Nazareth

I came and went, blazed and bent
    drawn from my heart aimin' to pay my rent goddamnit

one of my favorite lines on the song, he spins the "bent" part of the first line into a beautiful bow-and-arrow metaphor...he's launchin these arrows through the air and displayin artwork in the process but what it basically comes down to is that he's tryin to eat off this shit..

Specialize in lifetimes of rhymin'
    inclined to do crimes man, to spit full time
    I seen Ray walk inside beams of sunshine
    inhale braillle, exhale scenes of lifetimes

i'm assuming "Ray" here is Ray Charles, the singer..and the last line is referring to braille which is the dots that blind people use to read...they FEEL it...so Kevlaar is sayin he 'inhales' or soaks in everything and all his feelings and emotions in life and exhales these 'scenes of lifetimes' in other words---these landscape paintings: artwork..

the rest of the song is delivered so powerfully that I have to put it in all caps, otherwise it just wouldn't be an accurate representation of the song..

EYELIDS ARE HEAVY, STEADY, SPIT DEADLY HYBRID
    CLIMB TEN LADDERS LEAP INSIDE MY BRAIN MATTER

now it's like a switch has gone off and K7 is spittin' like a man possessed...matter of fact, it's metaphorically comparable to the fits that the Prophet Muhammad used to go into and which spurned what we now know as the Holy Quran and the religion of Islam...Muhammad would become possessed and just start reciting the word of Allah..

Kevlaar here has become possessed and is spittin' like a madman, opening up his lyrical mind to us....let's leap inside

THE RAP MAD HATTER, SPLATTER ALPHA ALL OVER THE GRAND DELTA
    KNELT TO BEATS AND PUT ACROSS MY SHELTER

"the rap mad hatter"---certainly a portrait of a madman..
    he's fuckin with beats that are so beautiful and MAJESTIC that they are knelt to..

FELT THE LIGHTIN' STRIKE, WINDPIPES COMPRESSED, DIGRESS
    SEE MY FATIGUE-PAINTED THOUGHTS COME ACROSS AS RAW FORCES
    HATE MEAT AND PORK
    DECLARE LAW AS I FOUGHT, JOHN HAWKINS IN EVERY ICEY FORT

some crazy imagery that i'm not even gonna attempt to take a crack at...

TOSS THE GOOD SHIT, BLACK HOLES AND A PULPIT
    FORFEIT THE NORTH BITCH, SEVEN ENFORCE THIS

some bugged-out metaphorical imagery describin the dopeness that he delivers in his rhymes...he gives us black holes (meaning: some really deep and powerful shit) and pulpits--a pulpit is platform or altar where clergy recite from...so he's throwin the deepest, most powerful shit while standing on a spiritual stage

SATIVA REAP ADVANTAGE, FEED THE MIRROR
    INTENSE INCENSE SPLITS FEAR AND ICY WHISPERS DELIVER
    FLAMIN' LADELS, SPIT OMEGA FABLES

this is a deep one so i'm gonna take it one section at a time..."sativa reap advantage" if i got the words right is dealing with weed (sativa) and the possible 'advantages' it affords a poet/artist....it 'feed[s] the mirror' in other words it's feeding the ego, and enabling one to focus more on expression of personality..
    the next part is almost like a symmetrical parallel to the first part...'intense incense' could be marijuana again and it 'splits fear' another advantage...

now the other part: icy whispers deliver flaming ladles--
    his lyrics are dark, COLD words (this rugged hip hop after all) but with these he's delivering HOT FOOD...in the same vein as "Thought for Food"...a ladle is like a big spoon used to serve soup

CRADLE GRAVES IN MY ARMS AND LAY IN LEVEL ANGLES
    ANGELS VISIT BASSINETS, WHISTLE CLARINETS CUZ I REST MY LAST MOMENTS ON MURKY CLOUDS OF DEATH

the last lines are some deep dark shit, Edgar Allen Poe style....again, he's using symmetry here (i love the way these brothers write) to paint a picture of death:

-cradle graves in my arms is like he's an angel of death..
    -laying in level angles means laying down flat, such as when dead
    -angels visit bassinets--a bassinet is a bed that babies lay in, he's tying that in with the "cradle graves in my arms" part
    and then to close it out he's basically just leaving one of those flamboyant artistic signatures, that whole last line starting with "whistle clarinets" is just an image of death, and with it he completes the dark, disturbing--yet poetically beautiful---closing stanza to this terrific song...

also...

as for the title of the song "Mixture of Muhammad" i think it's intended to be a mix of the prophecies and spiritual enlightenment of the Prophet as well as the strong yet elegant powerful punch from the boxer Muhammad Ali..

that's the thought i get when i hear the scratching in the end of the song from a Canibus line...

The lines i underlined and bolded are corrections in the lyrics and i'll breakdown the breakdowns.

heyyo, guru with rhyme voodoo, guns big as Mutulu

Mutulu Shakur---link from wikipedia

Rule two realms, yo watch me cool off hell
    My grill ain't icey but for real i gets dicey and slice three books into the Gospel of Me

always loved that "Gospel of Me" line...

Fifty states of mayhem/ Imad breaks bread,
    dread Scott for the basis, gimme my brush to paint this

the first bunch of lines in this song it feels like we're getting warmed up to the energetic, crazy part that's gonna come soon and "gimme my brush to paint this" is a perfect way to visualize that...Kevlaar is a MAD visual lyricist using poetically detailed descriptions (as we'll see soon)..

IMAD IS ME, AND YA'LL SHOULD REALLY DO THE KNOWLEDGE ON DRED SCOTT.

Aimed razors at faces, that mandated us nameless
    now flavors are tasteless, the wind just takes it

i think the first line may be a reference to what Killah Priest makes note of often: the image of a white Christ, an image which has been speculated to be of Cesare Borgia....and then the whites mandated blacks nameless by making them slaves, pure property instead of people, breaking up families, etc...

alot in that one line, no?
    BASICALLY THAT CORECTED LINE IS AN EYE FOR AN EYE TYPE OF MENTALITY. RELEASING SOME AGGRESION ON THE SUBJECT OF BEING MANDATED NAMELESS AND US NEVER BEING ABLE TO KNOW OUR TRUE NAMES THUS NOT KNOWING OUR ORIGINAL ANCESTRY.

I have a gift intended to uplift, come on vocal sample lady yo SING THAT SHIT!

acknowledging the rolling eerie voice that forms the backbone of this dope beat from Bronze Nazareth

WORD!

I came and went, blazed and bent
    drawn from my heart aimin' to pay my rent goddamnit

one of my favorite lines on the song, he spins the "bent" part of the first line into a beautiful bow-and-arrow metaphor...he's launchin these arrows through the air and displayin artwork in the process but what it basically comes down to is that he's tryin to eat off this shit.. ON POINT FAM!

Specialize in lifetimes of rhymin'
    inclined to do crimes man, to spit full time
    I seen Ray walk inside beams of sunshine
    inhale braillle, exhale scenes of lifetimes

i'm assuming "Ray" here is Ray Charles, the singer..and the last line is referring to braille which is the dots that blind people use to read...they FEEL it...so Kevlaar is sayin he 'inhales' or soaks in everything and all his feelings and emotions in life and exhales these 'scenes of lifetimes' in other words---these landscape paintings: artwork.. ON POINT ONE MO' GIN!

the rest of the song is delivered so powerfully that I have to put it in all caps, otherwise it just wouldn't be an accurate representation of the song..

EYELIDS ARE HEAVY, STEADY, SPIT DEADLY HYBRID
    CLIMB TEN LADDERS LEAP INSIDE MY BRAIN MATTER

now it's like a switch has gone off and K7 is spittin' like a man possessed...matter of fact, it's metaphorically comparable to the fits that the Prophet Muhammad used to go into and which spurned what we now know as the Holy Quran and the religion of Islam...Muhammad would become possessed and just start reciting the word of Allah..

YO I'M IMPRESSED ON HOW ON POINT YOU ARE ABOUT MY SPITTING WITH SUCH FURY IN THE 2ND VERSE. ANYONE WHO KNOW'S THE BASIC STORY ON THE PROPHET MUHAMMAD (PBUH) KNOWS THE DEAL! ONLY I WAS WRITING AS IT FLOWED OUT OF ME.

Kevlaar here has become possessed and is spittin' like a madman, opening up his lyrical mind to us....let's leap inside

THE RAP MAD HATTER, SPLATTER ALPHA ALL OVER THE GRAND DELTA
    KNELT TO BEATS/ EMPLOY THE PULSE/ MY SHELTER

"the rap mad hatter"---certainly a portrait of a madman..
    he's fuckin with beats that are so beautiful and MAJESTIC that they are knelt to..

WORD! ASLO MY PULSE WHICH I EMPLOY IS MY SHELTER...

FELT THE LIGHTIN' STRIKE, WINDPIPES COMPRESSED, DIGRESS
    SEE MY FATIGUE-PAINTED THOUGHTS COME ACROSS AS RAW FORCE AS SATAN EATING PORK
    DECLARED LAW AS I FOUGHT, JOHN HAWKINS IN EVERY ICEY FORT

some crazy imagery that i'm not even gonna attempt to take a crack at...

I'M SUCH A RAW FORCE LYRICALLY AND MENTALLY YOU COULD COMPARE IT TO THE CRAZY IMAGERY OF SATAN EATING PORK. YA'LL KNOW WHO SATAN IS AND PORK IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED FOOD IN SEVERAL RELIGIONS, MAINLY THE 3 ABRAHAMIC RELIGIONS. IT IS VERY UNCLEAN AND FULL OF DISEASE. SO SATAN IS FUCKING UP ALL OVER THE PLACE! LOL!

TORCHED THE GOOD SHIP, BLACK COALS IN THE PULPIT
    FORFEIT THE NORTH BITCH, SEVEN ENFORCE THIS

I'M SPEAKING ON "GOOD SHIP JESUS" WHICH WAS THE FIRST SHIP THAT BROUGHT SLAVES OVER HERE TO THE "NEW LAND". LOL! ANYWAY, MORE AGGRESSION AS I IMAGINE TORCHING IT LEAVING ONLY COALS IN THE PULPIT BEHIND.

some bugged-out metaphorical imagery describin the dopeness that he delivers in his rhymes...he gives us black holes (meaning: some really deep and powerful shit) and pulpits--a pulpit is platform or altar where clergy recite from...so he's throwin the deepest, most powerful shit while standing on a spiritual stage

SATIVA REAP ADVANTAGE, FEED THE MIRROR
    INTENSE INCENSE SPLITS FEAR AND ICY WHISPERS DELIVER
    FLAMIN' LADELS, SPIT OMEGA FABLES

this is a deep one so i'm gonna take it one section at a time..."sativa reap advantage" if i got the words right is dealing with weed (sativa) and the possible 'advantages' it affords a poet/artist....it 'feed[s] the mirror' in other words it's feeding the ego, and enabling one to focus more on expression of personality..
    the next part is almost like a symmetrical parallel to the first part...'intense incense' could be marijuana again and it 'splits fear' another advantage...

now the other part: icy whispers deliver flaming ladles--
    his lyrics are dark, COLD words (this rugged hip hop after all) but with these he's delivering HOT FOOD...in the same vein as "Thought for Food"...a ladle is like a big spoon used to serve soup

YOU ON POINT ONCE AGAIN FAM, WORD. THE LAST LINE MEANS I SPIT LINES THAT END TIME, BECAUSE OMEGA IS THE END. IT'S ALSO CONNECTED TO A LINE IN THE 1ST VERSE THAT SAYS "I SPLATTER ALPHA ALL OVER THE GRAND DELTA". ALPHA IS THE BEGGINING.

CRADLE GRAVES IN MY ARMS AND LAY IN LEVEL ANGLES
    ANGELS VISIT BASSINETS, WHISTLE CLARINETS CUZ I REST MY LAST MOMENTS ON MURKY CLOUDS OF DEATH

the last lines are some deep dark shit, Edgar Allen Poe style....again, he's using symmetry here (i love the way these brothers write) to paint a picture of death:

-cradle graves in my arms is like he's an angel of death..
    -laying in level angles means laying down flat, such as when dead
    -angels visit bassinets--a bassinet is a bed that babies lay in, he's tying that in with the "cradle graves in my arms" part
    and then to close it out he's basically just leaving one of those flamboyant artistic signatures, that whole last line starting with "whistle clarinets" is just an image of death, and with it he completes the dark, disturbing--yet poetically beautiful---closing stanza to this terrific song...

ALSO THAT LAST LINE REPRESENTS ME BEING MENTALLY DEAD AND THE NOTION OF BEING MENTALLY RESSURECTED...

PEACE! ON SUM REAL SHIT FAM I ENJOYED READING YOUR INTERPRETATION OF THE JOINT, AND ALSO BRINGING SOME MORE SHIT TO THE TABLE NIGGAS PROBABLY DIDN'T CATCH IN THERE. FEEDBACK IS LOVE! PEACE! 1

Last edited by Kevlaar 7; 07-06-2008 at 09:49 PM.

Props on the breakdown Kevlaar.

Also can I just say that really love this album, I appreciate the work that was put into it. This is honestly one of the few albums I bump all the way through, every song is relevant. Major props to the whole Wisemen click for making this old wu head happy.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Appreciate the props and love Tauro! New Wisemen shit coming SOON from the whole clique! PEACE! 1

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlaar 7 View Post
    Appreciate the props and love Tauro! New Wisemen shit coming SOON from the whole clique! PEACE! 1
    I look forward to it. I don't know whats going on behind the scenes but I hope Rza, the rest of the clan and affiliates recognize your group for the top quality you guys bring to the table.

Not to come off like a dickrider or anything but I just think you guys deserve props and recognition by these dudes who have been in the game longer.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Good shit K7.

I love it when you guys actually come in here and build with us.

Props on the break downs Kev & Silencer.

DrunkenMasta303

Quote Originally Posted by TAURO DA GRIM LATIN View Post
    I look forward to it. I don't know whats going on behind the scenes but I hope Rza, the rest of the clan and affiliates recognize your group for the top quality you guys bring to the table.

Not to come off like a dickrider or anything but I just think you guys deserve props and recognition by these dudes who have been in the game longer.
    ^word

kevlaar and bronze neva disappointed, they always bring the heat

the wisemen are a guarantee for dopeness

penalty boxed user Maccabee Ridah's Avatar

Damn, I can't wait for that shyt.....

Wisemen Approaching was fuckin great, with plenty really quality shyt, pure gems, like Mixtures Of Mohamed..........

I'm never enough of bumopin that shyt!

Peace K7..............

a couple questions on various lines from the album while i sit here watchin Dirty Harry wreck shit...

Introducing (No Matter How)

Bronze verse:
    "Feelin ya laws grow large like them amphibians in jars"

not sure if the word is 'laws' or what it refers to if it is..

Kevlaar on Illness:
    "Like CREAM rule Jesus, he wore brilliant Muhammad pieces"

not sure what it's talkin about, especially since there's no imagery of Muhammad at all in fact Islam tries to totally de-emphasize what he may have looked like (probly to prevent somethin like our pretty ridiculous modern image of a white Jesus)..

the style of Middle Eastern clothes maybe? dono...

Kevlaar 7 on Associated

nice imagery but not sure what it means:

"Invented the cause when paws was indented
    faceless robberies, the flame my mind been in"

Blinded

second verse:

"She stay alone at home, the city screams
    and never did she park the seed without proper means"

2nd line is what i don't catch...could maybe be "part the sea"?

Up There Beyond

Kevlaar:
    "Chime bells, my seeds is healthy
    felt self-medication infect me, envy is evil"

"My fetus sees through the future,
    graspin memories, through a mirror's outreachin"

Bronze on Verbal Joust (CRAZY song)

"Doorknob to closets where the gun case orbits
    For rent pays your peace, i keep my heartbeat at pace
    for weak-hearted that sleep hardest i still gotta aim
    when the thrill is gone, ya pillage-torn seein' my glow
    I'm so patient I could watch a tree die and re-grow
    while my seeds scatter, one in the hole"

it's a pretty damn impressive bunch of lines right here...i understand most of this i think but the first and last lines..(altho i think the last line is just sayin i got a bun in the oven, a pregnant wife, baby on the way)

i'm gonna look at Bronze entire verse on Goblins later on...

(DirtY Harry just punched some ho in the face!!! HAHA!)
    Last edited by the silencer; 02-27-2009 at 12:39 AM.

bump

PEACE! ima come thru soon! Phat shout 2 silencer for ressurecting this joint, i 4got about it my gee! I'm on my way to cali later on today so ima come thru and elaborate on shit when i get a chance my people!! PEACE! 100

PEACE! ima come thru soon! Phat shout 2 silencer for ressurecting this joint, i 4got about it my gee! I'm on my way to cali later on today so ima come thru and elaborate on shit when i get a chance my people!! PEACE! 100
    i'm gonna come to one of those shows up in Ventura...can't make it this Saturday but I'll come to the next one..

Peace.Dope Mixtape you just put out.Tarantula Webs is that shit! Where in cali are you performing?