57 20.21%
  • 2/5 Ehh..okay

21 7.45%
  • 1/5 Sucks ass

17 6.03%
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Cilvaringz- "I" album review

Wu Vatican

I'll drop my review here as soon as I give this album one more thorough listen then I'd love to banter with anyone about it.

so people see this album as a personal classic, big deal.

i was scratching the hair off my head when people were saying pretty toney was their personal classic but oh well. if the album hits them that hard, then so be it.

as far as consistant listening making something classic, that depends on your listening habits. i hardly listen to any album all the way through anymore. maybe its because i have an ipod and i have all my wu albums on it and if i feel like listening to a certain song i go right to it and play just that song.

back when i just had my Cd player and the disc player in my car. i would have to choose one album i wanted to hear and i would just keep it on rotation for a while. but with the ipod its easier to switch and i listen to something for a little bit then want a change of pace and go to something else.

as far as myself, if i can play an album straight through and still really enjoy it then it has the potential to be a personal classic or at least a spectacular album even if i may not listen to it the whole way through again for several months.
    Last edited by THE W; 04-05-2007 at 06:10 PM.
    Christianity = White Supremacy

FRESH FISH

This is a great album.. The only way I can explain it.. There is just something so pure about the music.. No gloss, bullshit just straight music..

Wu Vatican

Cilvaringz's long awaited, but under-the-radar first album is finally being listened to by Wu-fans ears, and should be appreciated by most of them. "I," which could also could be called "Bush Sucks," sounds like Wu-Tang circa-95, with dark samples, drums, and horns, which means in essence the production is outstanding. Not one single line is uttered about cars, sex, or women as religion, USA, and the world are at the forefront of Cilvaringz's train of thought here. Here's my track by track review:

Poison Ring Chamber- NA- It seems a lot of Wu albums start out in this way. This reminds me of No Said Date's beginning.

Wu-Tang Martial Expert-5/5- This is a perfect opening track because of it's high energy. Undergound producer Moongod Allah brings a gritty beat which outdoes 'Ringz on the mic, for sure. I will give 'Ringz his credit on this track because he does charisma and a nice flow here. Love the "jihad" line at the beginning of the 2nd verse.

The Weeping Tiger-5/5- RZA drops a verse that reminds of "The Grunge" off "Birth of a Prince," because it paints the same picture of a high speed chase or something out of a mob flick. The results are outstanding as the first few times you don't even listen to the lyrics, as the beat makes you imagine something different entirely, which is not easy to do. On with the MC'in, I think 'Ringz was OK, althought severely outdone by Raekwon (although, what did you expect?).

Sheherzad, My Beloved-3/5- For a love song, the beat is very busy, which I think goes against the formula of what a love song should have (think "Queen" by Masta Killa). Nonetheless, it's still well done. 'Ringz does a solid job here. Good song,

Death To America-2/5- Even though it takes away from the replay value of this track, I think the choice to do this acapella was the right thing to do. It's very powerful, hateful, and honest, which I can appreciate, although not necessarily agree with. I like what 'Ringz is doing here, he's really trying to make music with meaning and I respect that.

In The Name Of Allah-5/5- This has a very strong "Forever," feel to it. I could easily see this track being sanwiched right in between "Visionz," and "Severe Punishment." A lot of knowledge is packed in this slow paced, 7 minute carnival of knowledge. These are the kind of tracks I would love to see on the next Wu album. There aren't enough 7 minute Wu Tang tracks, if any at all. By the way, Killah Priest and Masta Killa were the nicest here. This type of beat is perfect for those two.

Jewels-5/5- The beginning is great. Nice little Bush clip, showing his discombobulatory ramblings. The beats here are simply amazing. On top of that, this is 'Ringz's best effort on the album, as his verse is very well done. The beat changes, gets even better than before, and GZA drops a few bars. He's no longer "the thrilla in the Ali-Frazier Manilla," but takes a more stern approach now. The last 2 minutes of the song are magnificent. This is probably the best track.

Brother's Ain't Brothers-2/5- Apparently Cilvaringz doesn't get along with everybody. He decides to write a rhyme about it, which is unecessary. I do not like what he did on this track, he just rambles along lazily throwing in a few ryhmes. Not solid work from him here, although within the first 20 seconds I could easily pick this out as being a Bronze Nazareth beat, which I was correct with. Nice beat, and nice job by me.

Blazing Saddles-4/5- I love the Killa Bee sounds, that has been missing for ages. That should be a trademark with every Wu song with a Killa Bee in it. 2 seconds before a Killa Bee comes in, cue the bee sound effect. Anyway, this is a banger, albeit short. Love the piano rhythm and the bassline. It's head nod-able for sure.

Caravansarai- NA- I don't really understand why this skit is here because it doesn't have to do with the album at all. I like it though, because this sounds like it's straight out of Cuban Linx, maybe Cuban Linx Pt. 2. Sweet piano loop.

Damascus-4/5- This time around 'Ringz is better going solo, as opposed to Brothers Ain't Brothers. Of course, the much beloved True Master blesses this track wonderfully. Tough to skip this track. Well done by True Mas.

Caravansarai-NA- Whatever.

Two Missed Calles-NA- Whatever, except for the fact that I now am certain that Ne-Yo likes guys.

Dart Tournament-4/5- The beat is pretty good, not VERY good though. 'Ringz was pretty nice here, but come on now, he gets murked by Killa Sin here. I love the "Meth Vs. Chef" vibe this has, it shows that 'Ringz knows his Wu history for sure.

The Saga-5/5- This is a banger for sure. I LOVE this beat, it was stuck in my head for a good couple of days. 'Ringz was pretty nice on here too, although when this song is in my head it's usually just the beat. This is a good highlight of the album for 'Ringz.

Forever Michael-2/5- First, the positives. The beat. RZA blessed it and once again I could paint a scene with this beat, which is Michael Jackson doing his crazy dance shit over this. I'd rather just forget the rest though, as the hook is horrible, and 'Ringz is professing love for a child molester.

Elephant Juice-4/5- This is very nice production wise. 4th Disciple seems to have evolved a little bit with this work. I love his hard hitting 5 Arch Angels, Soldiers of Darkness style, but he now has a more calm, orchestraic approach on this beat. To be honest, when I saw this was produced by him, I didn't even give a damn with what 'Ringz had to say, I was just excited to hear more 4th Disciple, because where in the hell has he been?

Deaf, Dumb & Blind-3/5- Another similar track to the last one, with the same vibe. More good work from 4th Disciple. Nice song.

Warriors & Poets- NA- Whatever

Valentine Day Massacre- 4/5- This is pretty damn banging. Love 9th Prince and Shabazz on this one. Doesn't seem like a typical ending to this type of album. Wouldn't 'Ringz want a sort of "Sunshower" type of ending track to this? He must not be capable of something like that.

Poison Ring Chamber-NA- Whatever. Kinda crappy ending.

I think this album is pretty good. A Wu banger I guess you could say. This album has many flaws though. Ends quietly, sporadic MC'in at times from 'Ringz, and some dumb skits. You will get your money's worth with the production though, the beats are awesome.

I'm giving it 3.5/5, which led to a dilemma of what to vote for. I voted for Wu-Banger, because this type of album was needed to help spark some things in the Wu camp.

Wu Vatican

Wow my review needs revising but it is what it is

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

The Weeping Tiger-5/5- RZA drops a verse that reminds of "The Grunge" off "Birth of a Prince," because it paints the same picture of a high speed chase or something out of a mob flick. The results are outstanding as the first few times you don't even listen to the lyrics, as the beat makes you imagine something different entirely, which is not easy to do. On with the MC'in, I think 'Ringz was OK, althought severely outdone by Raekwon (although, what did you expect?).
    Rza verse????

my copy doesnt have a Rza verse on this song...he doesnt even say anything actually..

EDIT: i think you meant to say "drops a beat"....my bad..

your review is very close to mine actually...

totally diff subject:

for those that were listening to Cilva's material before this album came out, doesnt it seem like he REALLY changed his style of rapping??...or at least the subject matter??
    i've been listening to 4 Strokes of the Bronze Fist and Calm Sword alot lately and Cilva spits some hardcore complex heavy lyrical shit...same with most of his other old shit...me personally i LOVED that style...
    (i know ppl were givin him heat for using the words "swords" and "darts" alot or whatever but i didnt think he was overdoing it...)

lyrically on this album it seems like he kinda dumbed-down his material...maybe so it will apply to more ppl or whatever but...i liked the old style much better....

and this line possessed more knowledge than the whole Death to America song:
    "I tried to understand, i tried to find the knowledge, behind the Middle East..WARLORD CONGLOMERATES..."
    Last edited by the silencer; 04-08-2007 at 09:49 PM.

Master Of Long Beach SniperShot's Avatar

yo is this out in stores in U.S. i see one dude sayin he got some jap version or somethin....i wanna get this shit and i aint heard of this dude till the other day...

seriously, how good is elephant juice?

Wu Vatican

Right, it's RZA beat, not verse. Like I said my review needs revising but I dont have the time to do that.

stealth mode

This album's Grimey! Shit is dope!

My favourite tracks are; Jewels, In the name of allah, Dart Tournament, The Saga & Weeping Tiger!!!

mean!

has anybody who ordered the album from this site recieved it yet??

I pre-ordered.... but i received nothing.... till now

GENERAL WISE

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    seriously, how good is elephant juice?
    Imo its the best track,

Thumbs up

i looooove "wu tang martial expert"
    this shit is so strong..... and he's representin' wu to the fullest...
    no one represents wu tang so much like ringz in the last few years...
    it seems like that every 2nd word is WU TANG....

fav tracks
    in the name of allah
    jewls
    dart tournament
    balzing sattles

the production of this album is amazing.... the best since forever... its on one stair with great migration and the holocaust....

5/5 !!!!!!!!! without skits
    4/5 with skits....

This album is great, IT NEEDS A VIDEO!

IT NEEDS A VIDEO!!
    -----> Check Rev. William Burks aka Chuuuch "Nigowkno", "Runnit" and "Ganja"
    -----> KAMi Genesis, vol1, vol2 and vol3- beat tapes
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/48z4...QcWWL0Pat0qEDQ