Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost Fell Off & Became Boring

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ERICHWV View Post
    I cant believe i am sayin this, but i agree. Ghost has gotten fairly wack these dayz.I mean I like some of his newer tracks but not most. And i suspect he is not going 2 work with wu much anymore. That would be really really GAY!
    Who knows? He's still down with Cappachino, although I think too that he's now way more Theodore and Doom than Wu.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

Quote Originally Posted by deadlymelody View Post
    Now this I completely disagree with. Did you forget about Jah World or I Cant Go to Sleep?
    No, that is exactly what I'm talking about. I can't stand his verses in those 2 songs. He sounds far too overtly hysterical. Probably the only Ghost verses I hate more are in 'Hollow Bones' and 'Holocaust'. I can't stand that shit. Each to their own though.
    ghost has been talkin bout wallabes since ironman, so I dunno what the argument is there
    You misunderstood that comment. It's entirely irrelevant anyway.
    You hate because of one bad song that everybody hates?
    Goodness me. Talk about putting words in someones mouth. I really don't understand how you concluded this belief from what I said.
    I don't even wanna get into an argument about how great fishscale is cause you probly listened to it once
    I gave it a fair go. Played it several times when it dropped. Couldn't get into it at all. Tried again a few months later with the same result. I will admit that I didn't really give 'More Fish' a chance though. I think I only played it twice. Fuck it though, I'm tired of giving shit I know I'm not gonna like more plays than I need to. If I didn't have any desire to hear it again after 2 listens then I can't be missing much. It didn't sound bad at all. Just unappealing.
    Why don't you sit there and tell me that biscuits, holla, run, metal lungies, and save me dear were bad songs with bad lyrics
    I'm not gonna do that. Why? First of all because I never said all his recent songs were bad and poorly written. Secondly because I like all those songs. You might remember that I said there were some good tracks on PT? Mind you, they're nothing special lyrically. Good enough though.

its just nice to see ghost on sum diff shit though 2-3 beats on more fish is fuckin irritating plus its easier to understand him nowadays...can see he's gettin a older n wise..look at d way he smashed 'ghost is bac' track...he still got some dope lines

And I'ma remain in the scene and reign supreme and go to many extremes by any means

Top 10 all time.
    Lol.
    I can see where the person who first posted is coming from, however if you look at other Wu-Tang albums from last year, Fishscale was not bad at all. Worth getting just for the two J Dilla songs IMO.

Compared to other Wu members right now I don't think he's particularly bad, but compared to himslf or any other Wu member from ten years ago Ghost has lost it.
    I think it's a case of the entire clan running out of steam more than just pinning this on Ghost... They all suck. That's right.

Ghost need to fck with RZA...I remember reading an article in a british magazine that was saying how def jam would ruin ghost career and i was like they don't know what they are talking about..sure enough next thing u know back like that comes out..I don't think ghost is wack by no means but hes in his zag chamber right now and he needs to go back to zig ya dig???

Veteran Member

I noticed that my 'problems' with ghost are his interpretations
    more than his flow. his interpretations are less accurate , sometimes
    less inspired (IMO), or just monotonous.I think his flow & interpretation combo reached their peak at the BPW time (even if i didn t really like this album).

i don t expect him to have the same flow for life but the interpretation is what allow you to provide feelings and i didn t feel that much things while listening most of his recent stuff even if i like certain verses or songs here & there (love, metal lungies,run, some fishcale & more fish tracks...)

The truth come when you compare his interpretation (once again i don t attack his flow although i don t feel his current one) on rainy days (several notes in his voice that transmit real emotions) & his interpretation on the most of the recent stuff.

To resume i d say that he provides less feelings than before (IMO)
    perhaps because he was better directed (RZA) perhaps because he works
    with grade B artists (TU) while he worked with grade A ones (the legendary wu) It makes less emulation & challenge. Plus he spits on several average/boring beats that use good/excellent samples.

ps : he should do more tracks with No ID who provided him 2 rich beats.

Now this I completely disagree with. Did you forget about Jah World or I Cant Go to Sleep?
    those tracks shouldn't be forgotten.
    "Roll that shit, light that shit, smoke it"

I can half agree with you. I don't think Ghost's songwriting skills have fallen off at all (although he has his low points) but without RZA to focus him (and maybe the other way around too, considering how haphazard all of RZA's solo work sans In Stereo is) his albums have become disjointed and almost mixtape-like. More Fish is the epoch of this considering it's a thrown together B-sides compilation for lack of a better term but it's pretty easy to spot in Pretty Toney & Fishscale as well. BPW could have been as good as Supreme Clientele if Epic didn't get as involved as they did and Ghostface didn't make Theodore such a big part of the album. But that's beside the point.

The problem with Ghost's music, I think, is that he's eschewed the concept of the album. His sequencing is surprisingly weak and his beat selection, while good, tends to not fit in well. He was never the best rapper in the Clan and I'll argue that he's not even particularly lyrical but Ghost always got along on his charisma, voice and flow along with the off-hand crazy line.

Ghostface is making a mistake by releasing so much music in such a short time frame. He released 718 and PT in 2004, Put It On The Line in 2005 and Fishscale and More Fish last year and only Fishscale was particularly memorable to me, and it seems that it was more a fluke than anything else. Once again though, we get back to the sequencing. His songs are generally good but with no over-arching concept and increasingly repetitive subject matter it just seems like he's rapping himself into a rut.

However, I'm holding out hope that he's gonna surprise us this year. His idea to work with rock bands is great, but he needs to work with more UK talent instead of average bands like The Killers.

Hope it wasn't too unreadable. By the way, Eels aren't doing great on the ladder right now. I hope you guys get back up, I want to see a Manly/Parra finals rematch. :P
    Music labeler.
    last.fm

Don Magic Wand

ghost is holdin the fort down at the mo 421 best wu release last year but ghost puttin out regularly an good stuff miguel sanchez 9 milli etc he has gone bit commercial but that is only cause he is the only general makin moves and media see that would you rather have a 2002 2003 year
    LeGriff

By the way, Eels aren't doing great on the ladder right now. I hope you guys get back up, I want to see a Manly/Parra finals rematch. :P
    Haha, I don't think you'll be seeing it this year. Eels are looking probably the second worst team in the comp right now. Superior only to the Roosters. The first 2 rounds were dismal and last week wasn't that much better, despite a win. I'm going to the game tomorrow night and expect to see us fall to the Raiders, unfortunately. Could go either way though. Manly are looking good. I predict a good year for them.

Good post too btw.

Audio System/Diamond ShaolinDarts's Avatar

I agree with threadstarter. Not only has Ghost become progressively worse but some of his songs have been downright embarassing. I didn't buy Morefish and won't be buying it as I think I have supported him enough by buying his last three albums which were all nothing special.
    That's why we do the do, just know who is who, acknowledge me all day, and understand Wu is Wu - Chef Raekwon

I'm hood ornaments, junkies win awards in my tournaments - Chef Raekwon

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    Haha, I don't think you'll be seeing it this year. Eels are looking probably the second worst team in the comp right now. Superior only to the Roosters. The first 2 rounds were dismal and last week wasn't that much better, despite a win. I'm going to the game tomorrow night and expect to see us fall to the Raiders, unfortunately. Could go either way though. Manly are looking good. I predict a good year for them.

Good post too btw.
    I'll be watching the game at a party. Did you hit up the finals back in 2005? I went to the first round Manly/Parra match out in Parramatta and we got involved in a riot because some old tart hit my mate's girl.
    Music labeler.
    last.fm

Haha, nah, I wasn't there. After that devastating 2001 grand final where we had dominated all year only to completely choke against the Knights, I kinda went off football and didn't get back into it until around mid '05. I'm not sure why I didn't hit up any games that season, but it was fucken shattering to see us again go into the finals in the top position only to once again choke, this time in the semis against those piss ant fucking Cowboys.

I went to the Eels/Eagles match late last season though.

Veteran Member

i actually liked his verse on Hollow Bones
    Ghost is the busiest Wu member
    he keeps his material out there but some of it gets watered down and fall short

Fishscale was the last ghost album i bought
    and its a good album i lke BPW better though

Obviously you have the right to your opinion but I think you are completely wrong. Just because ghost doesn't sound exactly like he used to I bet you are unloyal now. I think ghost is still as dope as ever.