Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Imus should get fired for his nappy headed ho's comment?

Default Future of Imus's charity ranch? Starts on page 3

I don't really follow the Imus radio show too much, but hasn't he said racial things in the past? Do you think he should get fried for saying that most of the Rutgers female NCAA basketball team are nappy headed ho's?

Don Imus will appear on the Rev. Al Sharpton's radio show Monday, five days after Imus made racially charged comments on his own show about the Rutgers women's basketball team, Sharpton and MSNBC announced Sunday.

Despite Imus' scheduled appearance, Sharpton said his position was unchanged: He wants Imus fired and intends to write the Federal Communications Commission about the matter.

"Somewhere we must draw the line in what is tolerable in mainstream media," Sharpton said Sunday. "We cannot keep going through offending us and then apologizing and then acting like it never happened. Somewhere we've got to stop this."

The Rev. Jesse Jackson said his RainbowPUSH Coalition plans to protest Monday in Chicago outside the offices of NBC, which owns MSNBC, over the remark Imus made last Wednesday during his show.

Imus said members of the mostly black Rutgers University women's basketball team were "nappy-headed hos."

The team, which includes eight black women, had lost the day before in the NCAA women's championship game. Imus was speaking with producer Bernard McGuirk about the game when the exchange began on the show, which is broadcast to millions of people on more than 70 stations and the MSNBC television network.

"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos ... ."

"Some hardcore hos," McGuirk said.

"That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

Jackson said protests are being planned across the country.

"If he has a right to use that platform to insult and degrade then we have a moral obligation to picket NBC and to protest," Jackson said. "If he can violate us in that platform in the name of free speech we'll be picketing NBC in the name of free speech."

James E. Harris, president of the New Jersey chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, demanded Sunday that Imus "resign or be terminated immediately."

Allison Gollust, a spokeswoman for MSNBC, which simulcasts "Imus in the Morning," said the network considers Imus' comments "deplorable" and is reviewing the matter.

Karen Mateo, a spokeswoman for CBS Radio, Imus' employer and the owner of WFAN-AM, said the company was "disappointed" in Imus' actions and characterized his comments as "completely inappropriate."

Imus, who has not been publicly disciplined, apologized on the air Friday.

"It was completely inappropriate, and we can understand why people were offended. Our characterization was thoughtless and stupid, and we are sorry," Imus said, according to a transcript on MSNBC's Web site.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070409/.../imus_protests
    Last edited by check two; 04-15-2007 at 01:46 AM.

Freedom of speach is a bitch but the man does have a right to say it.

^^exactly

who gives a fuck anyways, hes a shock jock this is what hes gonna do. Its not even terrible what he said. Rutgers team does look like a bunch of ghetto thug chicks. And sharpton makes it an "us" thing. Its hilarious how after every time there is a racist slip up, you have to talk to sharpton. If you talk with sharpton, you're sorry for what you said.

'

I used to listen to him on occasion early in the morning last summer on the way too job sites.

That was a pretty off the wall comment for him to make, but its Imus for christ sikes! Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson aint no saints either..

he's a shock jock who is trying to be controversial enough to be promoted to a $500 million contract like Stern.

Veteran Member

LOL at check two. He'll get fired right after Newt Gingrich resigns.

'

Imus has a giant ranch/hospital devoted to helping kids with cancer or severe blood disorders.

Im curious if Sharpton or Jackson are contributing anything positive to society besides making every little comment a media spectacle?

If he gets fired from radio.... I'm pretty FOX News will have a fresh seat ready for him to fill......

I don't even listen to his show, nor do I know who he is.... But people I know listen to him, and said that he has said racist things in the past, especially his co-host.....

I mean freedom of speech is one thing, but he was O.D on that shit, that offended not only the team, but black people as well.... because he said that about a bunch of black girls, then imagine what he thinks about black people as a whole....... and if he does keep his job, he gonna say somethin' KKKramer would say........

Personally I think that old geezer should be fired.... He callin' people nappy headed ho's, he aint no Bradd Pitt himself.... He look like Michael Landon on Methadone....
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=55925&dateline=119951  8518

THE CHEF LOVES MY MASTERPIECE

some people are gonna welcome the nazi's with open arms

'

Imus is pretty creepy looking

Quote Originally Posted by maestro wooz View Post
    some people are gonna welcome the nazi's with open arms
    *coughs*FOX NEWS Anchors*coughs*
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=55925&dateline=119951  8518

THE CHEF LOVES MY MASTERPIECE

Everytime someone says something about a black person, Al Sharpton gets all jumpy...
    Ghostface says fake words, like sprinkle noodles
    on your hembri...the fucks a hembri?

-ThaShaolinAssassin

Fearless Vampire Killer UNCLE RUCKUS's Avatar

Imus is an old junkie fuck him if gets fired good if he dosent die before the end of the year anyway, he is a racist and not a great radio host Howard Stern is at least funny

I don't think Imus should be talking about anyone else's hair. lol

dude got suspended from the air for two weeks.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- MSNBC and CBS Radio are suspending Don Imus for two weeks after the host described the Rutgers University women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos," the networks announced Monday. The suspensions start April 16, and MSNBC's "future relationship" with Imus depends on "his ability to live up to his word," according to a statement from NBC News. MSNBC simulcasts a television version of Imus' radio show.
    "His dedication -- in his words -- to change the discourse on his program moving forward, has confirmed for us that this action is appropriate," the statement said. (Watch Imus on Sharpton's show )
    Shortly after, CBS announced it plans to suspend its broadcast of Imus' radio program for the same two weeks.
    The flap began Wednesday, the day after Rutgers lost the NCAA women's title to Tennessee. Imus told listeners, "That's some rough girls from Rutgers."
    "Man, they got tattoos and some hard-core hos," he said. "That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that now."
    Imus apologized for the remark Friday and repeated the apology Monday, telling listeners, "I'm embarrassed that I did that."
    "I'm a good person, but I said a bad thing," he said. "But these young women deserve to know that it was not said with malice."
    Imus: 'No excuse' for remark

Imus went on civil rights leader Al Sharpton's syndicated radio show Monday and said there was "no excuse" for his remark.
    "I'm not thinking it's a racial insult that's being uttered at somebody at the time. It's in the process of trying to rap and be funny." he said. But he added, "I wish I hadn't said it. I'm sorry I said it."
    For Sharpton, the apology was not enough. He told CNN's "The Situation Room" Monday afternoon, "We want him fired."
    "He hit a lot of us where we live," he said. "A lot of us that have condemned a lot of the language and gangster rap and a lot of language on the radio and said to kids, 'You have to quit using negative words.' How do we go back to tell our kids to clean up their words when you can call some exemplary young women this, and we say nothing and extract no punishment to protect their integrity and self-esteem?"
    The National Association of Black Journalists has called for the veteran "shock jock" to be fired as well. Brian Monroe, the group's president, said Imus and his sidekicks have a long history of making crude racial and sexual comments.
    "The only consequence we can imagine, that suits the words that he said, is for him to hang it up," Monroe said on Sharpton's program.
    Also Monday, speaking at a demonstration outside NBC's studio in Chicago, the Rev. Jesse Jackson said Imus' mistake goes beyond an insult.
    "This was not a slip of lip. This was a point of view," he said.
    On the Rutgers campus, Imus' words have been met with outrage. University President Mark McCormick called Imus' remarks "disgraceful, disgusting and racist."
    "[The women's basketball team] represented Rutgers in an exemplary fashion of which we are extraordinarily proud, and then he says that. Why, why, why, why, why?" McCormick said.
    New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine further condemned Imus' words and said, "There is absolutely no excuse for his conduct, and he is right to apologize. Only the Rutgers women's basketball team, however, can decide to accept his apology."
    The Rutgers women's basketball team is expected to hold a press conference Tuesday morning.
    McCain: 'I'm a believer in redemption'

But Imus' show continues to draw top-level guests from the world of politics -- and one of those, Republican presidential contender Sen. John McCain, said Monday he would continue to appear on the show.
    "I'm a great believer in redemption," the Arizona senator told reporters in Phoenix. "Whether he needs to do more in order to satisfy the concerns of people like the members of that team, that's something that's between him and them."
    But syndicated columnist Clarence Page said candidates may need to answer for their appearances on the show, "just as if they belonged to a country club that discriminates."
    Howard Kurtz, media critic for The Washington Post and host of CNN's "Reliable Sources," said Imus is known for his comedy, but, he said "the problem is... his comedy too often strays into the offensive."
    Kurtz, whom Imus once called a "boner-nosed, beanie-wearing Jew-boy," said Imus may now understand that his remarks about the Rutgers team crossed the line.
    "Imus should be held accountable for some of these offensive things that he says, but there is also a good side to Don Imus, and I don't think that should be completely obliterated in all of this chest thumping," he said.