Thread: Pro Football

RIP to Chuck Knoll

May he Rest In Peace.

There are very few players that leave a footprint on a professional sports league like “The Boss” Derrick Ross has already left in the Arena Football League. In Week 13, the Philadelphia Soul fullback became the AFL’s all-time rushing touchdowns leader, surpassing Arena Football Hall of Famer Barry Wagner with 129 rushing scores. The feat only adds to the laundry list of accolades that Ross has earned during his four seasons in the AFL.

“First of all, what Derrick has done in terms of rushing touchdowns will never be touched again in the amount of time that he did it,” said Soul head coach Clint Dolezel. “Someone may catch up to the amount of touchdowns but not nearly in the amount of time he accomplished it in.”

Success was apparent for Ross even before Arena ball, as the six-foot, 250-pound back was a two-time NJCAA All-American at Blinn College, as well as a two time NCAA Division II All-American at Tarleton State University. At Tarleton, Ross still holds a handful of records, including rushing for 269 yards in a single game. He also set single-season school marks for rushing yards, points, and touchdowns.

His success caught the attention of the Kansas City Chiefs, who signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2006. “The Boss” appeared in seven games with the Chiefs before going international, spending a season with the Cologne Centurions of NFL Europe as well as two years in the Canadian Football League.

Coming into the AFL in 2011, Ross didn’t miss a beat. He broke single-season rookie records for the most rushing attempts with 167, most rushing yards with 622, and most rushing touchdowns with 39, earning First Team All-Arena honors in the process.

Since joining the Soul in 2012, “The Boss” has claimed two more All-Arena nods, and as the 2014 season leader in every rushing category, he looks to do so again this year. He has led the League in rushing every year since coming to the League, holds the top three spots for all-time single season rushing yards and, with 318 yards in this 2014 season, Ross also holds the AFL record for most seasons with 200 or more rushing yards.

“Oh wow, that’s amazing,” Ross said when notified of his accomplishments. “We’ve been losing so much it wasn’t even in my mind. It’s a team game and we’re trying to win ballgames. But that’s amazing. It’s a true testament to [Soul coach] Clint Dolezel and the offensive linemen.”

Dolezel is quick to send the praise back to his All-League fullback.

“It’s purely amazing and a credit to what a good football player and running back he is,” said Dolezel. “He makes our offense go, he has for all the years that he’s been with me in the Arena Football League. We do run the ball more than most teams but there’s a reason we do and that’s because of how good Derrick runs with the rock.”

Despite Ross’ many successes, he has no plans to rest on his laurels.

“Anytime you break a record in a professional league, it’s something special,” Ross said. “You’ve got to acknowledge the guys before you that actually set the bar. To all the great players that played before me, it’s a true testament of what I’m trying to do in the Arena Football League, which is trying to change the game. I’m not going to stop, I’m going to keep going.”

Ross is more than just a runner as well. During his time under Dolezel’s tutelage, Ross has developed into a solid pass blocker and receiver.

“He’s not just a one weapon guy, he can do it all,” Dolezel said. “He’s really turned into a good overall football player as well and his blocking has gotten tremendously better. I don’t think this League will ever see a guy quite like Derrick Ross again.”

Despite all his personal success, Ross is still chasing the ultimate team goal, the ever so elusive ArenaBowl championship. The journey continues as the Soul (6-6) battle in state rival the Pittsburgh Power (9-3) in Philadelphia this weekend.

Vince Young has retired. He better not throw anymore lavish parties.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...artner=ya5nbcs

i've never really liked the steelers, but chuck noll is a legend

i'll always like what vince young did in the rose bowl, you can't take that shit from him and he should never have to buy a beer in texas.

fantasy football coming soon

---- The Pittsburgh Power (11-3) clinched the first-ever playoff berth in franchise history after a 57-27 victory over the Iowa Barnstormers (6-8). With the win, the Power extended its franchise-best winning streak to eight games.

Week 16 AFL Playoff Picture

June 24, 2014

NATIONAL CONFERENCE CLINCHED
    Arizona Rattlers (playoff berth, West Division championship)
    San Jose Sabercats (playoff berth)

AMERICAN CONFERENCE CLINCHED
    Cleveland Gladiators (playoff berth)
    Pittsburgh Power (playoff berth)

ELIMINATED
    New Orleans VooDoo

WEEK 15 SEEDINGS
    National Conference

Arizona Rattlers (West Division champion)
    San Jose Sabercats (Pacific Division leader)
    Spokane Shock (Wildcard)
    LA KISS (Wildcard)

American Conference

Cleveland Gladiators (East Division leader)
    Orlando Predators (South Division leader)
    Pittsburgh Power (Wildcard)
    Tampa Bay Storm (Wildcard)

WEEK 16 CLINCHING SCENARIOS

The Spokane Shock can clinch a playoff berth with a win or a Portland Thunder loss in Week 16.

WEEK 15 ELIMINATION SCENARIOS
    None

WEEK 16 SEEDING SCENARIOS

If the Tampa Bay Storm win in Week 16, the Storm would take the South Division lead and move into the No. 2 seed in the American Conference playoff picture.
    If the Portland Thunder win and the LA KISS lose in Week 16, the Thunder would move into the No. 4 seed in the American Conference.

The San Jose SaberCats beat the previously undefeated Arizona Rattlers 62-33, ending Arizona's 18-game winning streak.

Big hated dummy gets a $70 meal and doesn't leave a tip

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...153631714.html

Veteran Member

ima post on this thread i see u are alone as fuck

The San Diego Talons are 1-13 and have lost 8 in a row.

The Philadelphia Soul vs the Orlando Predators, live on ESPN 2 right now. Playoff implications on the line.

Banned