Thread: Pro Football

Are U aware I ban @ will? MASTER PAI MEI's Avatar

Niners looked good last night.

what a dummy

----- New details have emerged about Jason Pierre-Paul's hand — and it's worse than anyone thought

In the wake of Jason Pierre-Paul's visit with New York Giants' team doctors last week, new details are emerging about the specific injuries Pierre-Paul sustained in a firework accident on July 4.

According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, Pierre-Paul is not only missing his entire right index finger, he is also missing part of his right thumb.

Graziano broke this news on ESPN. Said Graziano:

"He's missing the tip of his thumb. It was presented to me as not a significant portion of the thumb ... he also had a procedure done on his middle finger, a repair procedure done on his middle finger as recently as three days before he met with Giants team doctors last week."

The newest details of the status of Pierre-Paul's injury follow reports this past weekend that the Giants defensive end's injuries were more serious than previously thought and have prevented him from working out and subsequently caused him to lose serious weight. Graziano also speculated that Pierre-Paul will miss the entire season. This could cost him as much as $14.8 million, the amount he'd have earned this season under the Giants' franchise tag.

Baltimore loses to the Raiders

The Dolphins listen to Jacksonville

The Eagles are supposed to have the best rusher in the league, but had their worst rushing game since 1962.

Coughlin has gotta go. Just horrendous. Worse than the pussy prevent defense? Prevent offense. Two losses that should be wins. This team is too talented for that.

Dolphins lost to the Jags but the Jags are a team on the rise better than what most think and it's a big in state rivalry game. TJ Yeldon is the truth

-

LOL@Tom Coughlin gotta go hahahahahahahahahahahaha. I'm surprised they haven't fired him. Baltimore sucks and i'm surprised they scored 33 points against Oakland. LOL@Browns beat Tennessee and Washington beat the Rams hahahahahahahahahaha. That was a surprise. Seattle is 0-2 but their game against Green Bay was good.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

IronSheik

Default 96% of former NFL players in study suffered from brain disease

A total of 87 out of 91 former NFL players have tested positive for the brain disease at the center of the debate over concussions in football, according to new figures from the nation’s largest brain bank focused on the study of traumatic head injury.

Researchers with the Department of Veterans Affairs and Boston University have now identified the degenerative disease known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, in 96 percent of NFL players that they’ve examined and in 79 percent of all football players. The disease is widely believed to stem from repetitive trauma to the head, and can lead to conditions such as memory loss, depression and dementia.

In total, the lab has found CTE in the brain tissue in 131 out of 165 individuals who, before their deaths, played football either professionally, semi-professionally, in college or in high school.

Forty percent of those who tested positive were the offensive and defensive linemen who come into contact with one another on every play of a game, according to numbers shared by the brain bank with FRONTLINE. That finding supports past research suggesting that it’s the repeat, more minor head trauma that occurs regularly in football that may pose the greatest risk to players, as opposed to just the sometimes violent collisions that cause concussions.

But the figures come with several important caveats, as testing for the disease can be an imperfect process. Brain scans have been used to identify signs of CTE in living players, but the disease can only be definitively identified posthumously. As such, many of the players who have donated their brains for testing suspected that they had the disease while still alive, leaving researchers with a skewed population to work with.

Even with those caveats, the latest numbers are “remarkably consistent” with past research from the center suggesting a link between football and long-term brain disease, said Dr. Ann McKee, the facility’s director and chief of neuropathology at the VA Boston Healthcare System.

“People think that we’re blowing this out of proportion, that this is a very rare disease and that we’re sensationalizing it,” said McKee, who runs the lab as part of a collaboration between the VA and BU. “My response is that where I sit, this is a very real disease. We have had no problem identifying it in hundreds of players.”

In a statement, a spokesman for the NFL said, “We are dedicated to making football safer and continue to take steps to protect players, including rule changes, advanced sideline technology, and expanded medical resources. We continue to make significant investments in independent research through our gifts to Boston University, the [National Institutes of Health] and other efforts to accelerate the science and understanding of these issues.”

The latest update from the brain bank, which in 2010 received a $1 million research grant from the NFL, comes at a time when the league is able to boast measurable progress in reducing head injuries. In its 2015 Health & Safety Report, the NFL said that concussions in regular season games fell 35 percent over the past two seasons, from 173 in 2012 to 112 last season. A separate analysis by FRONTLINE that factors in concussions reported by teams during the preseason and the playoffs shows a smaller decrease of 28 percent.

Off the field, the league has revised safety rules to minimize head-to-head hits, and invested millions into research. In April, it also won final approval for a potential $1 billion settlement with roughly 5,000 former players who have sued it over past head injuries.

Still, at the start of a new season of play, the NFL once again finds itself grappling to turn the page on the central argument in the class-action lawsuit: that for years it sought to conceal a link between football and long-term brain disease.

The latest challenge to that effort came two weeks ago with the trailer for a forthcoming Hollywood film about the neuropathologist who first discovered CTE. When the trailer was released, it quickly went viral, leaving the NFL bracing for a new round of scrutiny over past efforts to deny any such connection.

The film, Concussion, starring Will Smith, traces the story of Bennet Omalu, who in 2005 shocked the football establishment with an article in the journal Neurosurgery detailing his discovery of CTE in the brain of former Pittsburgh Steelers center Mike Webster. At the VA lab and elsewhere, CTE has since been found in players such as Hall of Famer Junior Seau, former NFL Man of the Year Dave Duerson, and Colts tight end John Mackey, a past head of the player’s union.
    While the story is not a new one, for the NFL, it represents a high-profile and potentially embarrassing cinematic interpretation of a period in which the league sought to refute research suggesting football may contribute to brain disease.

From 2003 to 2009, for example, the NFL’s now disbanded Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Committee concluded in a series of scientific papers that “no NFL player” had experienced chronic brain damage from repeat concussions, and that “Professional football players do not sustain frequent repetitive blows to the brain on a regular basis.”

In the case of Omalu, league doctors publicly assailed his research, and in a rare move, demanded a retraction of his study. When Omalu spoke to FRONTLINE about the incident for the 2013 documentary, League of Denial: The NFL’s Concussion Crisis, he said, “You can’t go against the NFL. They’ll squash you.”

In a conversation with FRONTLINE, McKee said that her biggest challenge remains “convincing people this is an actual disease.” Whatever pockets of resistance still exist, she said, have primarily come from those with a “vested interest” in football.

“People want to make this just Alzheimer’s disease or aging and not really a disease,” according to McKee. “I think there’s fewer of those people, but that’s still one of our major hurdles.”

The study found that linemen made up 40 percent of those found to have CTE, so it's not just the big concussions that do damage

IronSheik

Default Die-Hard Eagles Fan Loses Mind After Embarassing Loss to Cowboys in An Epic Rant

the pain...the passion!

The famous Youtuber “EDP445” who’s a life-long Eagles fan went off on the Eagles team and even took a shot at the Eagles fans who were happy to see Cowboys QB Tony Romo go down with a broken clavicle.

-

IronSheik, Will Smith is doing a movie about what you're talking about with the NFL players getting brain diseases. The movie is called Concussion and i saw the previews when i saw The Perfect Guy with Sanaa Lathan and Michael Ealy. Will was talking like a african LOL.

The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

Terrell Owens is asking the Cowboys to give him another shot. Should they?

-

No hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. He has no money and that's why he wants to play LOL. His baby mothers have taken most of his money LOL. I don't think Ray Rice is ever gonna play again.

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    Terrell Owens is asking the Cowboys to give him another shot. Should they?
    The Cowboys don't have a quarterback for the next two months. Matt Cassel will probably be a shit show. If Terrell got signed to the Cowboys again, it will become The Bryant & Owens Show of bitching and complaining.

PRODIGAL SUN

I don't think Ray Rice is ever gonna play again.
    He must be beating the shit out of this "now" wife.

PRODIGAL SUN

If Owens wouldn’t have burnt more Bridges than Todd he’d be on a 53-man roster. Fu** being a cancer in the locker room, this guy was more like the flesh eating bacteria, and that’s the reason he’s begging as much as Keith Sweat at the Apollo. Even though he can still probably play, no way he puts up numbers like before, and that’s the reason no one is willing to take the risk.

Ray Rice is still in his prime. I’m surprised Oakland didn’t pick him up since they’re known for acquiring players with transgressions. This cat’s misdeed needs to be forgiven and he should get a second chance. From what I’ve seen he seems sincere about his repentance.

I don’t know about Dallas not having a QB. With that offensive line Oscar Pistorius would excel in shotgun formation. Or is that cricket bat formation?

-

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha