Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Common's "BE" a classic by today's standards??

Wu-Tang Martial Expert

Default Is Common's "BE" a classic by today's standards??

Just wanted to know what you all thought if "BE" is a classic or not.....? In my opinion, it is.....atleast a modern classic by today's standards.....its just so much better than half the watered down shit coming out today and when I put BE in my system I have to admit it felt like 95' again......

Very few tracks(11), not alot of guests, 1 main producer which ensures album flow and consistency, and really just Common working magic for each song (kinda reminds you a little of Illmatic doesnt it.....)

While I agree that Resurrection and MAYBE One Day"....." is better overall, that was 94' and 97' when hip hop was made differently. Today, BE is as close as you are going to come to the days of the mid 90's......the title track BE, Corners, Go, Chi City, They Say, The Food, Its Your World.....every song is practically hot.

And I know alot of you hate on Kanye West, but his beats set the backdrop for this album. Since he was the main producer he gave the album a theme and set the tone. He doesnt have much bass or hard drums on his tracks, but the instrumentation and pianos are real nice. So maybe this will change some of your opinions on Kanye......

All in all.....I agree with XXL and HipHopSite.com I think BE is a classic and will still be one in the future years to come.......what do u think??
    "A SPACE KNIGHT LIKE ROM, CONSUME PLANETS LIKE UNICRON, BLASTIN' PHOTON BOMBS FROM THE ARM LIKE GALVATRON......"

Banned

Default Re: Is Common's "BE" a classic by today's standards??

NO

it's an 8/10 at Best...

I wouldnt say classic, but i'd give it an easy 9/10

All of the tracks are good but none of them are really OMG THIS IS AMAZING... very consistantly "yeah that songs coo" or "thats pretty nice" ... never like , a joint that id put on repeat.

its one of the best releases in a long while cause most shit is wack these days but only time will tell if its a classic

^ true

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

http://www.myspace.com/theblacksunn1 http://theblacksunn.blogspot.com

I wouldn't call "Be" a classic but its a solid 8/10 and an very good additional chaper to the life of Common Sense. I love the CD but I wouldn't call it a classic.

does anyone know how much it's sold so far?

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

http://www.myspace.com/theblacksunn1 http://theblacksunn.blogspot.com

Around 300,000

modern day classic
    not an all time classic
    10/10

peace
    a.k.a. The Difference saying check out my 1st video

I really didn't like it all that much 6/10 by todays standards, if it was 1992-1997 I would give it a 4/10
    Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.-Malcolm X

Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.
    Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

www.myspace.com/mefman

www.liquidswords.tk

I agree! Today's standards in music is low, but Common went against the grain an made a classic by today's standards

Veteran Member

It's easily 9/10 imo. Classic? I like to wait at least a year b4 I call a LP classic. No skip track 4 me
    Wu Tang Forever.

Wu-Tang Martial Expert

Wow,

I'm really suprised by most of the posts here......I thought more of you would say that it's a classic album. I mean granted, I even said I don't think its better than Resurrection or One Day It'll All Make Sense but what more can you expect from one of the most talented "conscious" lyricists in the game today who teams up with one of the most popular producers in hip hop today. You know your gonna get something good.

Like one of you saiid there really is no "bangin" track that makes you go holy shit! like on a Wu album but every song is consistently good.

Better than 95% of the garbage being put on the racks today AND also better than the last albums of some of the other conscious lyricists in the game have put out lately (Talib Kweli, cough, Mos Def, Nas cough.....)
    "A SPACE KNIGHT LIKE ROM, CONSUME PLANETS LIKE UNICRON, BLASTIN' PHOTON BOMBS FROM THE ARM LIKE GALVATRON......"

Wu Vatican

One of the best hip hop albums put out since the turn of the newest century. It's really, really good. You can hate on Kanye and I think he is kind of a fag, but he is a good producer.