Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Common's "BE" a classic by today's standards??

Default Re: Is Common's "BE" a classic by today's standards??

this is the best cd to come out in teh past couple of years...all the songs kinda flow, none sound out of place, his lyrics actually have meaning, the beats are real good
    Albums I'm currently bumpin:
    1. Method Man- 4:21...The Day After
    2. Jeru the Damaja- Wrath of the Math
    3. Nas- The World is Yours (original remix)

Disciple

I say no. There isn't one bad track on it. But there are two outstanding tracks on it. For an album to be classic there has to be a majority of outstanding tracks. I think the production could be increadibly cheesy on the album. And Kayne can't spit a good ryhme for shit. So yeah, its no Infamous or Cuban Linx.

WuCorp Million Dollar Man Roman Deini's Avatar

no classic. i get tired of the kanye beats sometimes and the bonus track is weak.

“Catch your dreams before they slip away. Dying all the time, lose your dreams, and you will lose your mind. Ain't life unkind?”

Straight Outta PHX

I was a little dissapointed after the reviews, it's a 4 1/2 star album.
    In the world I see, you're stalking elk through the damp canyon forest around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty carpool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

From what Ive heard it aint no classic, but its good

Come on, give it a couple of more years. how the fuck could you call it/or don't call it a classic after its been "officially" released for like a week or two?! Put the hate-o-rate and you bling bling collar down a listen to what the fuck the man is saying, instead of hating on it cause you don't like the sample, one beats or because he doesn't rap as shitty as you favorite emcee. FUCK THAT! You wouls think that wu fans would know better.

What's today standards?! He didn't sold a mill, he has beef with.., this or that produce this! I take a piss on today standards! By the way, you dirty kids, a classic is supposed to TIMELESS not bound to whatever standard you may tie'em up to.

See, am a HUGE fan of Common, so I will avoid saying that "BE = soon te be a ageless classic"

VDB: The Wu-Tang Mountain
    a/k/a the wolves who made a widow out of grandpa

everybody is on kanye's dick right now so when he puts out something thats good people are gonna jump all over it and say its classic. its all in the timing.

and faurthermore,

how can people say that it is classic when you havent heard it for a long time?
    Christianity = White Supremacy

Divine Cypher

From what I've heard, the only song I'm really feelin' is Chi City. Like people were talking about, no songs on there made me say OMG! I don't know why he can't drop a song of his own like Boulevard Connection. That's the illest ish I've heard him on in years.

i like his messages ....but i hate his delivery....

BE is a classic by today's standards, but to place it on the same level as Illmatic, Ready To Die and 36 Chambers is another issue. Like someone said in an earlier post, you have to give it some time and another listen before calling it one of the all time greats. That's why the call it all time because the judgement is made after some amount of time. . . .not a couple of weeks after.

BE should be considered for 2005 Album of the Year. Common deserves props. But in the world of Soundscan, rap beefs and platinum sales it seems like 2005 could be the year of 50 Cent. I hate that it could wind up that way because of the content of The Massacre which is NOTHING. BE had a lot more to offer lyrically and production wise, Kanye kills anything else that comes out this year unless the RZA drops a gem.

Smif-N-Wessun

Neo-Soul rock shit is weak, 7/10 cause Common is a nice emcee and Kanye got decent beats.

NO CLASSIC only in 8 years

FRESH FISH

It's much better than everything else being put out today, but it is no way a classic... Probably 8.5/10

FRESH FISH

Of course it is a classic, there are no skips, no wack beats, Common comes correct on every track.. its better than Ressurection overall. Quality Hip Hop in this new millinium is scarce, but Common gave us a jewel right there. If it isn't a classic it will be in time. I agree with XXL stamp and thought the source was wrong not to give it 5 mics. nothing Wu has come out with since maybe Supreme Clientele is as good.

If COMMON's BE came out in 1996.........it would just be a good album.....nothing more........but in 2005 it is getting hailed as a classic, beacuse it is rare today when rappers on major labels but out albums that are formulated to get play on radio and to appeal to demographics (ie forced singles).........back in the 1990's it was more about just putting out albums with dope beats/lyrics.......today you have to have the forced radio singles........so I guess Magazines and critics are desperate to call an album a classic, and Common's fits the bill in that it actually sounds like a consise album. Like how many true classics have come out in the 2000's??? not many compared to weekly classics coming out in the 1990's

I kind of rambled, but I think Common's BE is just a really good album.......not classic.......does it hold up to READY TO DIE, 36 CHAMBERS, OBCL, ILLMATIC, you decide

Quote Originally Posted by HighChief
    Of course it is a classic, there are no skips, no wack beats, Common comes correct on every track.. its better than Ressurection overall. Quality Hip Hop in this new millinium is scarce, but Common gave us a jewel right there. If it isn't a classic it will be in time. I agree with XXL stamp and thought the source was wrong not to give it 5 mics. nothing Wu has come out with since maybe Supreme Clientele is as good.
    LOL it's nowhere near resurrection, are you crazy?

at best it's a 8 outta 10

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

http://www.myspace.com/theblacksunn1 http://theblacksunn.blogspot.com