Thread: Just got back from GZA with a live band backing him!

Default Just got back from GZA with a live band backing him!

GZA played a free show tonight in Carrboro, NC at the Cat's Cradle with Fyre Department backing him up. Shit was insane.

I didn't get there until a little past midnight, which was right before GZA stepped on stage. Seeing him with a live band was really lucky. It felt like Fyre Department had a tracklist that they had rehearsed for and gave it to GZA a day or two before. Shit was raw.

Dreddy Krueger was the hype man, and Big Daddy Kane made an appearance for Daytona 500!

All in all, a great show. I've never seen GZA live before. The only Wu member I've seen is Inspectah Deck. It was insane seeing GZA sounding and performing exactly like he sounds on wax. After tonight, I understand that he is a true legend of hip-hop.

The best part was after the show ended and the GZA stuck around for about 20 mins and signed autographs and took pictures with people. I've been to a free show before, and that was for Ice Cube promoting the opening of a new club in Blacksburg, VA. Cube didn't come on stage until last call and sang a couple of bars from Today was a Good Day. Those memories were my expectations for tonights show, but I was wrong! GZA played for a little more than an hour! He was the most humble and gracious person that I've ever seen on stage, thanking the crowd any chance he could.

The only disappointment of the night was at the end. Dreddy was giving props to all the local colleges (i.e. UNC, Dook, NC State). I took my Virginia Tech hat off my head, my alma matter, and turned it around and showed it to Dreddy. He said, "This is only about NC schools." Oh well. No love lost from me.

And if the GZA reads this boards, thanks for playing a free show for us country bumpkins in NC. I wanna know what yalls share of alcohol sales was?!?!?! And my boy Jonny was the one serving yall all night! Thanks again!
    Last edited by Str8FromRaleighDurham; 06-05-2007 at 01:34 AM.