Thread: america has lost a generation of black boys

Default america has lost a generation of black boys

>>POV: america has lost a generation of black boys
    =========================================

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_103984.asp
    America Has Lost A Generation Of Black Boys
    By Phillip Jackson

There is no longer a need for dire predictions, hand-wringing, or
    apprehension about losing a generation of black boys. It is too late. In education,
    employment, economics, incarceration, health, housing, and parenting, we have lost
    a generation of young black men. The question that remains is will we lose the
    next two or three generations, or possibly every generation of black boys
    hereafter to the streets, negative media, gangs, drugs, poor education,
    unemployment, father absence, crime, violence and death.

Most young black men in the United States don’t graduate from high school.
    Only 35% of black male students graduated from high school in Chicago and only
    26% in New York City, according to a 2006 report by The Schott Foundation for
    Public Education. Only a few black boys who finish high school actually attend
    college, and of those few black boys who enter college, nationally, only 22%
    of them finish college.

Young black male students have the worst grades, the lowest test scores, and
    the highest dropout rates of all students in the country. When these young
    black men don’t succeed in school, they are much more likely to succeed in the
    nation’s criminal justice and penitentiary system. And it was discovered
    recently that even when a young black man graduates from a U.S. college, there is a
    good chance that he is from Africa, the Caribbean or Europe, and not the United
    States.

Black men in prison in America have become as American as apple pie. There
    are more black men in prisons and jails in the United States (about 1.1 million)
    than there are black men incarcerated in the rest of the world combined. This
    criminalization process now starts in elementary schools with black male
    children as young as six and seven years old being arrested in staggering numbers
    according to a 2005 report, Education on Lockdown by the Advancement Project.

The rest of the world is watching and following the lead of America. Other
    countries including England, Canada, Jamaica, Brazil and South Africa are
    adopting American social policies that encourage the incarceration and destruction
    of young black men. This is leading to a world-wide catastrophe. But still,
    there is no adequate response from the American or global black community.

Worst of all is the passivity, neglect and disengagement of the black
    community concerning the future of our black boys. We do little while the future
    lives of black boys are being destroyed in record numbers. The schools that black
    boys attend prepare them with skills that will make them obsolete before, and
    if, they graduate. In a strange and perverse way, the black community, itself,
    has started to wage a kind of war against young black men and has become part
    of this destructive process.

Who are young black women going to marry? Who is going to build and maintain
    the economies of black communities? Who is going to anchor strong families in
    the black community? Who will young black boys emulate as they grow into men?
    Where is the outrage of the black community at the destruction of its black
    boys? Where are the plans and the supportive actions to change this? Is this the
    beginning of the end of the black people in America?

The list of those who have failed young black men includes our government,
    our foundations, our schools, our media, our black churches, our black leaders,
    and even our parents. Ironically, experts say that the solutions to the
    problems of young black men are simple and relatively inexpensive, but they may not
    be easy, practical or popular. It is not that we lack solutions as much as it
    is that we lack the will to implement these solutions to save black boys. It
    seems that government is willing to pay billions of dollars to lock up young
    black men, rather than the millions it would take to prepare them to become
    viable contributors and valued members of our society.

Please consider these simple goals that can lead to solutions for fixing the
    problems of young black men:

Short term
    1) Teach all black boys to read at grade level by the third grade and to
    embrace education.
    2) Provide positive role models for black boys.
    3) Create a stable home environment for black boys that includes contact with
    their fathers.
    4) Ensure that black boys have a strong spiritual base.
    5) Control the negative media influences on black boys.
    6) Teach black boys to respect all girls and women.

Long term
    1) Invest as much money in educating black boys as in locking up black men.
    2) Help connect black boys to a positive vision of themselves in the future.
    3) Create high expectations and help black boys live into those high
    expectations.
    4) Build a positive peer culture for black boys.
    5) Teach black boys self-discipline, culture and history.
    6) Teach black boys and the communities in which they live to embrace
    education and life-long learning.

Phillip Jackson
    Executive Director of the Black Star Project
    Chicago, Il.
    [email protected]

Veteran Member

It is one thing to have the education system, fatherlessness and lack of good role models, and etc. work against black men, but blacks need to take their lives in their own hands. I grew up without a father in a bad neighbourhood with drug dealers, but my mind was focussed on what is real so I stayed straight. I did not hang with negative people. I went to school and tried my best cuz my mom always told me to focus on education and she would be mad if I got less than 100% on anything and say it is not good enough. So I was always working hard to acheive that. Even though it is hard, I still strived for perfection.

Some black males are just idiots. Some give up to society so easily and become victims. I see some around my building just hanging out, doing nothing. Some of them sell stuff and get into fights because of it. THey get arrested and come back weeks later. They chose that life.

School is not the only place to learn. If some people feel their schools don't have the proper materials, they need to put in extra work on their own to have it and learn from it. I learned to study and memorize the times table at home cuz my mom went to a store that sells teaching books. She would tell me to write it over and over and then my sister would check it after me. If I got even one wrong, I would have to write it over a few times. That is taking matters in my own hands. This is not to say that my school was no good, but my mom wanted me to succeed in life.

its really sad man but thats all truth and we the few who try to make a difference are always hated on by our fellow brothers,almost like a jelousy thing instead of learning from our ways,its like this,if u aint a thug from the streets,you aint down these days,thats just sad

and this is why i dont like cats like al sharpton because these are the true issues they should be dealing with ,not all those media driven controversies concerning the rich

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by diggy View Post
    It is one thing to have the education system, fatherlessness and lack of good role models, and etc. work against black men, but blacks need to take their lives in their own hands. I grew up without a father in a bad neighbourhood with drug dealers, but my mind was focussed on what is real so I stayed straight. I did not hang hard to acheive that. Even though it is hard, I still strived for perfection.

Some black males are just idiots. Some give up to society so easily and become victims. I see some around my building just hanging out, doing nothing. Some of them sell stuff and get into fights because of it. THey get arrested and come back weeks later. They chose that life.with negative people. I went to school and tried my best cuz my mom always told me to focus on education and she would be mad if I got less than 100% on anything and say it is not good enough. So I was always working

School is not the only place to learn. If some people feel their schools don't have the proper materials, they need to put in extra work on their own to have it and learn from it. I learned to study and memorize the times table at home cuz my mom went to a store that sells teaching books. She would tell me to write it over and over and then my sister would check it after me. If I got even one wrong, I would have to write it over a few times. That is taking matters in my own hands. This is not to say that my school was no good, but my mom wanted me to succeed in life.
    Is everybody in your family equally successful?

Quote Originally Posted by graveyard_shifter View Post
    its really sad man but thats all truth and we the few who try to make a difference are always hated on by our fellow brothers,almost like a jelousy thing instead of learning from our ways,its like this,if u aint a thug from the streets,you aint down these days,thats just sad
    Real talk!

My evidence, my own testament, written on wood
    Twelve tribes layin at the head of corners in hoods
    Hell razah

peace,

i don't like the disposablity of our people. we treat each other -- and a generation -- like amerikkka has = like products. we let a whole generation down with greed and the need to assimilate into the amerikkkan imperialist regime and then when things backfire we just right/write them off.

there are 1.1 million black males in prisons in amerikkka -- and growing -- males alone -- and a encreasing black female population -- then the natives/indians, latinos and poor whites -- with the black males alone -- that's a standing army. ...which is why they are there.

i agree with what samia halaby said about the hezbullah;

"... if your are not committed to your soldiers and prisoners then you ultimately fail" - samia halaby defend palestine, ny, and al jisser group - "voices of resistance to u.s./israeli war in palestine, lebanon & iraq" - workers world party

we need this loyality to our peoples........

or we fail.....

"News coverage in this edition includes: Baltimore's "Middle East;" the prison system with Angela Davis; interviews with The "Truth" Minister Paul Scott; Aquaboogie of the Soulvivas Nation; JR of the Block Report; plus an RIP for Richard Pryor and "Tookie" Williams; and was it arson at Cafe Mawonaj? And much more!"

http://voxunion.com/realaudio/coupra...ixRadioFM1.mp3

http://www.voxunion.com/realaudio/coupradio/FM6.mp3

Chairman Fred Hampton Jr. Interviews Imam Jamil al-Amin:

http://www.prisonradio.org/audio/mum...mil%20Iman.mp3

or

http://panafrican.tv/product_info.ph...roducts_id=134
    kh

Wu Vatican

young america is all about image, being cool, being hard, getting girls, partying, living for the moment. its portrayed in movies, tv, music, print, and life imitates it.

its sad reading books, working hard, trying to be a good person, sacrificing for a better tomorow is just not valued in todays society.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

that's the logic that white amerikkka pays well to promote in order to distract folk from the radicalization of the kids they want to die for the state and it's causes -- so we can forget those trapped in the camps of concentrated madness -- so they can kill an army of a nation in struggle.

it's the lie they promote to the world so the the world will turn it's head as amerikkka commits menti/geno(cide) = mass murder -- our slaughter

they never were allowed to be children -- only men and women -- a lost and, inshallah, found nation.

Wu Vatican

in the end everybodys got a choice, i grew up in the shit, i think for myself, im not controlled by what others think is cool, i stay true to myself.

i liked getting high, i liked getting fucked up, i liked doing drugs, but at some point you gotta grow up. take responsiblity for you only. you work to better yourself, or you continue to propetuate the cycle. everybody can make that choice.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

"that's the logic that white amerikkka pays well to promote in order to distract folk from the radicalization of the kids they want to die for the state and it's causes ..."

and

what does you life have to do with black people and the nation we build...

and why should we care?

the is for our bruhs

this is for the fam

Wu Vatican

thats the exact sentiments that are going to keep your "fam" where it is. and thats sad.

thats fuked up but it is true. i know here in england its the same not only with the black community but with my own turkish community. it seems to me that they envy gangsta life, and its sad to say but the glorified gangsta lives rappers or whoever portray really have an effect on these kids. u may say it sounds stupid but we are talking about fragile young minds which are easily manipulated. i always found it sad that when i went to school whenever i said i had studied for an exam i was deemed uncool. i also blame the families for not giving enough attention to their children, these days parents dont care what their kids get up to. i witness this around my block, the parents dont want their kids in the house so they tell them to go outside and not come back until the evening.

but i gotta agree with what whitey said, at the end of the day it depends on yourself. i grew up and still live in a shitty area, but now i go to one of the top universities in england, i have a very good career planned out for me. i just decided that this is wat i wanted to do and done it. its as simple as that.

your whole statement was agreeing with the black/white ops in this feeding frenzy to mess with our peoples minds and confidence to abandon our youth and give up. to make it like they are responsible for the mess of amerikkka -- this is equal to murder.

allah knows the truth

allah knows what's in our heartz

“if we want to obtain the man who produces knowledge, we must know what
    others produce and not on the mere basis of being consumers. if we do
    not learn about all that is produced by others, we can never reach our
    aim. nonetheless, we should not simply receive others’ thoughts and fill
    our minds blindly with it, ...following this logic, i have always
    advised our youth not to let their aim be their success in their schools
    and colleges, but rather to build the basis that enable them to be
    creative.”—ayatollah fadlallah

power to the peoples!!!

don't fear freeodme!!!

kh

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black Man View Post
    Is everybody in your family equally successful?

I wouldn't say I'm successful, but I'm strugling like others. I try my best to stay away from idiots and "thugs" cuz they bring drama. Most people I don't mess with cuz they are no good in my estimation.

A lot of you have good points. The problem with the black "family unit" is lack of self-love, loyalty, good principals and values, just teachings I grew up with that says to "do this and don't do that".

As a young teen I realized I was envied cause I tried hard at school and did not bully people which the cool people did. I was called "goody goody" as if that is supposed to be bad now. Some other people liked to brag about the bad stuff they did and get into fights and hold guns and smoke drugs, etc.

When I look back at some of those idiots who I went to school with, some of them turned into deadbeat dads, crackheads, went to prison, some girls turned to strippers, etc. But that is not just blacks that was people in general.

Black people need to stop looking for leaders. The only one to lead you is you. Only you can get what you want by striving and working for it. Don't expect stuff to fall out of the sky. It requires hard work. WHat ever you want, you have to have a plan to get it.

Another thing is parents who don't parent their children. The parents wanna have sex and put a lot of energy into that, but don't have a clue on values to raise children by, how to discipline them, teach them right from wrong, how to achieve goals. Some of the parents if not all, who have children who go nowhere, are not well off themselves. The ruined their live by not having goals and good values themselves, and they just have a one night stand and continue the cycle. They have no interest in self improvement. That is a bad role model more that what these celebrities do on tv, cuz if one's parent is not well off, it sends a bad message to the children.

Another thing blacks need is unity. Without unity, your going nowhere. Noone gets anywhere by themselves. BUt to have unity, one needs trust. And that is lacking too. People to trust are hard to find, but they exist.

Stop making the tv your holy book. What I mean by this is since we are kids, we are indoctrinated by the tv. We get our values from tv. We get the dominant culture through tv. That needs to stop and people need to control their own thoughts and come up with their own outlook on life. Stop being a follower and be your own leader. Lead your life to where you want it to go.
    Last edited by diggy; 05-31-2007 at 10:12 PM.