Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did u know that Gza's lyrics for "Breaker Breaker" was inspired by a book?

Utterly amazed.

sleepless in basedworld ALCATRAZ's Avatar

Wu Tang Saga Continue

didnt know thats where all that came from, but I always understand what the Genius meant with those lines
    "The skywalker, that be leapin' over planets"

I also agree with being dissapointed about lines like "the immortality of my fame is the measure of others torture," are bitten
    "The skywalker, that be leapin' over planets"

Veteran Member

are yall serious??

inspired by and bitten are two completely different things.

the debut album: Better 8 Than Never NOW AVAILABLE!!!

coming soon to Newbury Comics!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/8bzagnojusticenopeace
    http://www.myspace.com/8bzabeatspage

thats really interesting, i understand what people are saying about, the shine being takin off, but all he did was qoute something, and did it real effectivally, given the quoate a whole new meaning,

that said if i found that every gza song where all the best lines where takin from some book, i'd be pissed off and actually wouldn't want to know because i fucking love gza,

but rest ashored hes no bitter, just look at words from the genius, no philosophical but its still great lyrics, hes only quoting is all

Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge God View Post
    /\ So you don't care that he's quoted a whole book and pretended it his own work with no reference to the book or anything.

a big difference writing in english (which actually borrowed off a number of languages) to actually quoting other peoples work and pretended its his own work,

Copy and pasting something from a book isn't learning something.
    I love gza an all but that's took the shine off it.
    if it says in the album booklet written by g.grice and Balthasar Gracian i'll forgive him.
    Although, i'll give credit for gza for makin me aware of some sick shit
    He hasnt quoted a whole book though. He didn't reference it? He's not writing an essay man, he's making a song.

The point I was making is, you learnt to write/speak English and now you do it. GZA learnt from a book and he used it. You aren't giving a reference, you aren't claiming it as your own. Neither is he. It's like when people say old metaphors and stuff, it's nothing man.

He learnt from the book. You're copying and pasting from word of mouth and reading, you still learnt it though, didn't you?

He doesnt know everything in the world, he switched it up and put it into rhyme form.. Thats why he's the genius, it's genius in lyrics. He's not a part of mensa or some shit bro, genius has much to do with his lyrical ability as much as his intellect. Now taking lines from books, sick lines, and making them into lyrics for a song? Thats pretty genius to me

I do get you though... I just look at it differently. I learnt from GZA. Doesn't matter who started it first, at school I learnt shit from teachers who didn't reference everything they said.

Teachin Da SeedZ

Veteran Member

/\ not the best analogy to use. if i'm bitin then gza's bitin twice cos he's speakin english too and quotin from books without referencing it. The english language was designed for people to use without referencing all the time cos that would be stupid.
    In fact its the worst analogy i've ever heard in my life.
    when some1 writes a book, it is not released with the intention of people using the quotes as they own. That's plagiarism. I'm sure GZA could be sued. Remember Oasis got sued for using the lyrics from a poem without asking for permission.

But what you say reminds me of a Canibus says

"I can't take credit the English language was not my invention"

The thing is most the bars he was used are near enough identical. But some1 check the cd booklet to see if the author got credit for it, then i'll apologise. The fact he's quoted the book without telling any1, makes it look like he didn't want people to know he quoted a book and wanted the credit for it, which is not a nice thing to do.

not tryna cause friction but that's my view, understandable that some people differ

/\ not the best analogy to use. if i'm bitin then gza's bitin twice cos he's speakin english too and quotin from books without referencing it. The english language was designed for people to use without referencing all the time cos that would be stupid.
    In fact its the worst analogy i've ever heard in my life.
    when some1 writes a book, it is not released with the intention of people using the quotes as they own. That's plagiarism. I'm sure GZA could be sued. Remember Oasis got sued for using the lyrics from a poem without asking for permission.

But what you say reminds me of a Canibus says

"I can't take credit the English language was not my invention"

The thing is most the bars he was used are near enough identical. But some1 check the cd booklet to see if the author got credit for it, then i'll apologise. The fact he's quoted the book without telling any1, makes it look like he didn't want people to know he quoted a book and wanted the credit for it, which is not a nice thing to do.

not tryna cause friction but that's my view, understandable that some people differ
    nah man i get ya, and its probably the first discussion on here thats gone without "fuck you cunt" thrown in somewhere lol

The analogy's bad, but i dont mean it like you're biting. I mean it like, you're using knowledge that you've learnt. So is the GZA. i speak Dylan Thomas quotes all the time, when people ask if thats a quote im not gonna claim credit for it. but when i say it im not trying to make myself look smart, or enlightened, its more of a way to express myself that i learnt from a great man.

GZA's taking knowledge and sharing. i dont see a problem with that. bitings a hip-hop thing. like RZA used the bible as one of the reason he speaks of his tongue as a sword. if asked he speaks the truth about it, just like GZA would.

smart men pass on knowledge, where it comes from isnt that important to me. i take stuff from all forms of places and use it. you cant be a "genius" without learning, and its what GZA did.

Teachin Da SeedZ

Veteran Member

So what if he quoted a book....you like the song don't you? if yes then pls let it go
    WU-TANG FOREVER.
    GHANA REPRESENTING

Veteran Member

i let it go about a week ago.

funny that gza said in an interview he doesnt read books

ILLadelph (but just moved to Ft.Lauderdale)

this could be seen as biting without naming the source
    Its disapointing to know GZA didn't create them bars himself.

i thought GZA was a true genius for spittin stuff like

The immortality of his fame is the measure of the other's torture.
    but he didn't write it so it kinda takes something away from the rhyme in terms of gza's skill. makes you wonder what other rhymes he didn't create
    WOW.

but like knowledge god said, a bit of disappointment by gza.

woooaahhh!! that is waaaay deep and knowledge-full!
    "Read the sign hip-hoppers"