Thread: Why is Grandmaster Flash so damn underrated???

PRODIGAL SUN 2L8Lit da croatianMC's Avatar

Default Why is Grandmaster Flash so damn underrated???

I mean, he's a perfect MC... and still nobody speaks about him, his flow, delivery, voice etc... it's a shame...

discuss ppl..
    I C.R.E.A.M

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

He's underrated as a MC cause he's far more better DJ.

Whoever wants to post in this thread GOTTA hear this - I started to REALLY appreciate the man after hearing this shit. Really incredible what can he do with two turntables.

Grandmaster Flash Turntable Mix "Flash Got More Bounce"
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

the shit he did with the furious five r classic shit.. that's music, and his verses r as dope as chuck d, rakim, daddy kane or any other big time emcees...
    I C.R.E.A.M

Quote Originally Posted by Slim T View Post
    He's underrated as a MC cause he's far more better DJ.

Whoever wants to post in this thread GOTTA hear this - I started to REALLY appreciate the man after hearing this shit. Really incredible what can he do with two turntables.

Grandmaster Flash Turntable Mix "Flash Got More Bounce"
    He's dope as fuck on the turntables, one of the originators, but guys have surpassed him now.

people gotta realise the difference between a turntabilist and a DJ too

Quote Originally Posted by DJMethods View Post
    He's dope as fuck on the turntables, one of the originators, but guys have surpassed him now.

people gotta realise the difference between a turntabilist and a DJ too
    Okay. Tell me the difference.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

Kinda like MC/Rapper, both are the same things, just classed seperately. Both cross-over with eachother, hard to explain but I'll try.

A turntabilist is a guy like Q-Bert (You know who he is right?), more interested in scratches, beat drumming, beat juggling. The type of cats who go into the DMC championships, not so much into the beat playing side of things. More into the beat making type of shit.

I wouldn't call a guy with serato playing music at a club a turntabillist, he might know scratches and shit, but he's main purpose is playing music - Not creating his own.

BUT, DJ's have changed with time as well. Used to be about digging and finding rare break beats for Bboy's, now it's about blending popular music that anyone can dance to with rarely a thought for the origins and bboys and DJ'ing.

Producing is more like what DJ'ing used to be really.

Go watch the movie "Scratch", then go to a club and tell me if thats the same shit going on there. I can't picture the local DJs here going to the local record shop and picking up cheap records to find breaks, doubt many buy records with the invention of Serato.

I feel ya, but I still regard as DJ's those that know the art of turntablism and cutting and blending. In one of larger hip-hop clubs down here DJ's play commercial records and stuff, but, especially between the songs, do actually a lot of scratching. So I think DJ and turntablist is in essence the same - turntablism being just a part of being a DJ. Others are choosing beats to move the crowd and playing at the party or in the club, that's what you say DJ's do.

It's suckers as DJ Clue and DJ KaySlay that downgraded the art of DJ'ism to putting a couple songs together and ruining them with shoutouts (and branding it a "mixtape", smh).

-

I've never heard Grandmaster Flash rap before but then again the only album i've heard from him is The Message. I gotta check the rest of his albums. He is a good dj though.

skratch dj

Flash is not an emcee, you are talking about grandmaster melle mel....

in regards to Flash though, i dont think he is underrated, he gets respect

its just that turntablism has progressed so far since he was at the top

but dude is still good tho.....

s7
    skratchin is the word!!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/otherstexas

^^^^
    Yeah, I'm almost positive Flash doesn't rap and if you are referring to Melle Mel than he isn't nearly as underrated as you think. A lot of your favorite MCs will tell you what both Melle Mel and Flash did for Hip-Hop.
    Hip-Hop's forefathers...that's right...forefathers.

Free Killa Sin!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=EedXtPhPhlI

skratch dj

Quote Originally Posted by DJMethods View Post
    Kinda like MC/Rapper, both are the same things, just classed seperately. Both cross-over with eachother, hard to explain but I'll try.

A turntabilist is a guy like Q-Bert (You know who he is right?), more interested in scratches, beat drumming, beat juggling. The type of cats who go into the DMC championships, not so much into the beat playing side of things. More into the beat making type of shit.

I wouldn't call a guy with serato playing music at a club a turntabillist, he might know scratches and shit, but he's main purpose is playing music - Not creating his own.

BUT, DJ's have changed with time as well. Used to be about digging and finding rare break beats for Bboy's, now it's about blending popular music that anyone can dance to with rarely a thought for the origins and bboys and DJ'ing.

Producing is more like what DJ'ing used to be really.

Go watch the movie "Scratch", then go to a club and tell me if thats the same shit going on there. I can't picture the local DJs here going to the local record shop and picking up cheap records to find breaks, doubt many buy records with the invention of Serato.

yup.....

the dj game is so messed up right now......you got button pushin mp3/ipod fools getting gigs, while djs with real skills, record selection, party-rockin ability, etc....are getting overlooked.

thats why i stopped dj-ing, and pursued the art of turntablism/skratching/battling.......its more creative (like djing used to be), and there are NO rules, whereas in djing, you gotta "play whats hott"....

for the record, commercial hiphop sucks dick....that shit is gay

just my opinion on it....

s7 (turntablist)
    skratchin is the word!!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/otherstexas

yo i got shit confuzed...
    i was thinking about an mc that is melle mel...
    i cant find flaws in his verses...
    I C.R.E.A.M