View Poll Results: how many stars do you give this album?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • ***** -> Classic

7 31.82%
  • **** -> Very nice

11 50.00%
  • *** -> Decent

3 13.64%
  • ** -> Nothing Special

1 4.55%
  • * -> Fuck you nobody better rate this 1/5 or ill find you

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canibus - For Whom The Beat Tolls

Default Canibus - For Whom The Beat Tolls

Tracklist:
    1. For Whom the Beat Tolls
    2. Harbringer of Light
    3. Poet Laureate Infinity v003
    4. Liquid Wordz (feat. Sun & Killah Priest)
    5. Father Author, Poor Pauper
    6. Dreamzzzzzz
    7. Magnum Innominandum
    8. Layered Prayers
    9. The Fusion Centre (Feat. Vinnie Paz)
    10. 702-386-5397
    11. The Goetia
    12. Secrets Amongst Cosmonauts
    13. One Ought Not to Think
    14. Javelin Fangz
    15. There Has He Been (feat. K-Solo)
    16. Poet Laureate Infinity v004
    * Poet Laureate Infinity

Im gonna skip the whole intro and history of the Canibus man because im sure most of you know it all already.

1. For Whom the Beat Tolls: Short but sweet, Bis focuses here on the damaged hip-hop industry and shows lyrically how he has not been effected at all from the recent decline in the quality of hip-hop being made. The beat is actually one of the few on the album that really suit Canibus' style. (4/5)

2. Harbringer of Light: Very unconventional vocal sample used, and a very light-hearted beat which im not sure goes perfectly with Canibus' voice, but does merge well with the lyrics Bis lays down. This is the type of song where if it wasn't Canibus, it would probably be very sub-par. It really makes me wonder what another full album of Stoupe production would turn out, but theres nothin wrong with this joint. (3.5/5)

3. Poet Laureate Infinity v003: The second set of 5 sets of 200 bars of pure lyrical mastery. Very gritty, yet simple beat loops that allow you to concentrate more on what Canibus is saying. I wouldn't suggest listening to all 5 parts one after another, you might slip into a worm-hole or just pass out. Dope ass shit, so artistic. (4.5/5)

4. Liquid Wordz (feat. Sun & Killah Priest): Clearly an unoriginal name, but also a tribute (being a Wu fan i appreciate it). A simple beat loop but a very nice hook that shows its head once in a while. Sun sounds a little awkward lyrically following up Bis, but he does not come weak by any means (is he Kool G Rap's vocal stunt double or what?). KP is onpoint as he's ever been, and as off-beat as he's ever been, but overall a worthy appearance from the Horsemen. Bis sneaks in a nice short verse at the end of the song to reinforce his stamp on the album. (4/5)

5. Father Author, Poor Pauper: Sadly another mediocre beat, especially placed next to Canibus lyrics. Overall not a rememberable track, but still a decent one because Bis doesnt slow down until the very last second. (3/5)

6. Dreamzzzzz: Another tribute to hip-hop (Dreams - B.I.G.), but instead of R&B singers Canibus shows his eternal lust for female news anchors, hence the hook: "Dreams of fuckin a female news anchor". As far as i can see, its excellent comedic relief, but OBVIOUSLY still lyrically tight. Beat suits the song, but still an overall O.K. tune. (3/5)

7. Magnum Innominandum: Finally a beat i could groove to after i run thru Canibus' stunning lyrics, and on this song he is super-nice the whole time. "I gotta keep Hip-Hop open, if they close it I'm homeless/If I lose it I'm broken, if I disown it I'm hopeless/I am a hopeless romantic Trans-Atlantic pimp/In the pacific stickin' dick to Los Angeles bitches" Fire. (4.5/5)

8. Layered Prayers: An absolute gem beginning to end. NOT TO BE SLEPT ON. maybe the best lyrical song of the album, and a nice quick driving beat that fits perfectly. Honestly too many quotes to drop, i wanted to keep this brief. (5/5)

9. The Fusion Centre (feat. Vinnie Paz): This collab has always turned out dope tracks, and this one is no different. The beat is interesting and goes well with both emcees, Bis rips shit apart and Paz is decent, but overall the song may be a little too short. (4/5)

10. 702-386-5397: Very, very, very distracting beat that doesn't go very well with Canibus, but luckily he shines lyrically as usual (you'll notice some sort of trend thru the album, Bis = sick). This song should've been 2 minutes, not some of the other gems on the album, but whatever. He's right when he says "Don't trust the beat, trust me Canibus the MC". (3.5/5)

11. The Goetia: Solid beat here and Canibus stays on-point, but nothing earth-shattering. Not alot to say about this track, but that i really like the drum loop? (4/5)

12. Secrets Amongst Cosmonauts: Kind of a Channel Zero pt. 2 but less concentrated on the alien conspiracy idea, another candy beat with little drums and bass, and some kind of sunshine singing sample, but in the end sounds alright. Canibus drops many gems and fits all together lyrically very well. i would've liked him to explain the whole Cosmonaut enlightenment thing a little better, but a solid track. (4/5)

13. One Ought Not to Think: Another 2 minute gem, but definately not to be stepped on. The beat is very nice and gets you in the zone for the shit your about to hear. And the shit i mention you'll have to hear a few times to connect everything and understand Canibus (maybe even do some googling). Again too many quotes to list here, id prolly just copy and paste the whole song... a classic track packed with wisdom. TOO fucking short. (5/5)

14. Javelin Fangz: I kinda wish Bis let the sample at the beginning go off more clearly, but you can tell right away this is a vicious song. If there was anybody to rip a mic, its Canibus on this song. Sort of a weird beat but i think it works well enough (atleast in comparison to the other tracks), great lyrics not that you'd be suprised . (4.5/5)

15. There Has He Been (feat. K-Solo): When i first saw this i was a little hesitant because i havent heard K-Solo in well, a long-ass time. Anyway, the beat moves along nice and quickly, reminding me of a 2000 B.C. vibe. Bis is dope as usual and K-Solo sounds elementary next to him, but he comes raw as fuck. Definately the best suprise song of the entire album, K-Solo is just too grimey. (4/5)

16. Poet Laureate Infinity v004: Refer to track 3. (4.5/5)

* Poet Laureate Infinity: 1000 bars, 50 minutes. All the lyrical intelligence you'll need for 3 years atleast, period. "Never done before in history" is right. If Bis aint one of the real G.O.A.Ts then i dunno who would be.

Overall grade: 4.5/5. Close to a perfect album if it werent for a few weak link beats. Canibus doesnt come off wack for a second on the entire thing, and not only that, at times he shows wisdom beyond PL:II and RTJ as an album. The fact he's only 33 years old kind of scares me, and can only make me wonder how higher he could reach, because he seems to be getting tighter by the day.

GO COP THIS ALBUM if you haven't already, and dont just take it from my amateurish review, hear it for yourself theres ENOUGH samplers and tracks to preview.

Long live the Canibus man.

peace.
    live and learn, dont be a bitch

^^^^that's a very good review...

I voted "very nice"
    Shaolin shadowboxin' and the wu-tang swordstyle...
    If what you say is true...
    The shaolin and the wu-tang could be dangerous!
    En garde, I'll let you try my wu-tang style...

Banned

this shit is proof of how dope bis can be if he gets dope beats, i been bumpin this shit non stop, i give it 4 stars shit is mad tight
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

i agree this shit has grown on me ....wouldve voted classic if fuckin a new achor song and 702-386-5397 were tighter........definetly a must buy ...support hiphop

God Beside Me Guarded By Martyrs's Avatar
    Front Row Tickets |Watching The Apocalypse|

Canibus is a legend I loved "Rip Tha Jacker" and the Poet Laurete persona he has created is pure genius.

I would love to see him do a track with Holocaust I think they would go crazy together.
    I voted vey nice also - Great Album.

Sleepyheaded Nonsense Dr Sleepwalker's Avatar

Rip The Jacker & For Whom The Beat Tolls are both classics IMO

pea2e

Are U aware I ban @ will? MASTER PAI MEI's Avatar

I need to listen to this album again the first listen did not bode well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    I need to listen to this album again the first listen did not bode well with me.

yo me niether but after the third time thru it was very nice

Banned

give it a few more spins ben, it'll sink in
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

I voted "decent", but I think it is more than decent. "Very Nice" and 4/5 was just a bit high for me. I'd give it a 7/10. It's a good album, but not great. The real disappointment for me is the 'Poet Laureate' tracks. I'm now to the point of skipping them when I bump this joint. There's just nothing to justify their being as long as they are. But aside from a few tracks I really like this album. Definitely one of his better efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    I voted "decent", but I think it is more than decent. "Very Nice" and 4/5 was just a bit high for me. I'd give it a 7/10. It's a good album, but not great. The real disappointment for me is the 'Poet Laureate' tracks. I'm now to the point of skipping them when I bump this joint. There's just nothing to justify their being as long as they are. But aside from a few tracks I really like this album. Definitely one of his better efforts.

i agree with you on the infinity tracks in that you cant be listening to a mix of songs or even the cd itself and vibe the whole 11 minutes, twice. i wouldve liked him to put them both at the end of the album cuz of that.. but what justifies them being that long is canibus making himself the ultimate emcee.. like emcees since forever have always built themself up in their lyrics, not only does bis do it lyrically he makes a 1000 bar song to brag aswell. but i tell you - the whole infinity song is good for video games.. haha

Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    Same here... havent played it since either, still bumping Jazzy Jeff

yall should go back just play 1-7-8-13-14 if you dont wanna spend an hour and a half on it.

This is a pretty good album imo, of course not up to the standard of Rip The Jacker but on of his better albums. I would go out and buy it if it were available in Japan, nobody has even heard of it over here

This is an album where you have to been in the right mood to listen to. After a couple listens the album has grown heavily on me.

Top 3 Tracks: Layered Prayers, Secrets Amongst Cosmonauts, & Javelin Fangs

Overall Grade: (4.3/5) A-