View Poll Results: how many stars do you give this album?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • ***** -> Classic

7 31.82%
  • **** -> Very nice

11 50.00%
  • *** -> Decent

3 13.64%
  • ** -> Nothing Special

1 4.55%
  • * -> Fuck you nobody better rate this 1/5 or ill find you

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canibus - For Whom The Beat Tolls

Dudes are hating on Dreamzzz. I love that shit, lol.

P.E.A.C.E.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFingaz7 View Post
    Dudes are hating on Dreamzzz. I love that shit, lol.

P.E.A.C.E.
    Word. Me too

"The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water" - Warcloud

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Default Canibus-for Whom The Beat Tolls

When it comes to Canibus’ career what can you really say and what is his legacy as a emcee. Well from an outsiders stand point they may only know him through his “4,3,2,1” days when he had a beef with LL Cool J which is still the most debatable battle in hip hop history. But from a fan stand point he’s an emcee who can rap and out rap the best of them into the ground with tracks like his “Poet Laureate” series of tracks that have lead to “Poet Laureate Infinity” with not one but two of them that are 1,000 bars each. And there both clocked in at 11:00 plus minutes each that’s twenty two minutes combined. DAMN, that’s advancing the game this reviewer says.

On what is Canibus’ 11th (yes 11th) album since his 1998 debut album that many either regard as either garbage or dope but with that aside his new album “For Whom The Beat Tolls” is like an episode of the Twilight Zone. And the ready for saying that is the album has the allure about it that you didn’t know what any of the tracks were gonna sound like and there were almost no leakage of the album until the Friday before its initial release until it got pushed back one week until June 12th.

From tracks like the “Harbinger of Light” which gives real insight to the good of hip hop music and an ode to those with the power to use it. To other tracks such “Father Author, Poor Pauper” which is a story track where Bis breaks down his career in a third person point of view laced with his government conspiracy theory. From the unusually hilarious “Dreamzzzz” where he borrows Biggie Small’s concept and tweaks only Canibus can. And in “Dreamzzzz” Bis speaks on he fantasizes on how we wants to bang some of the world’s hottest news anchors. I think Bis’ lyrics on this track is done so good not because there was doubt Bis can pull it off and he did very impressively.

I gotta admit as much as I wanna rate this a classic there is rarely a misstep on this album even the production is dope. I mean with cats like Scram Jones, J.Wells (who did several tracks on this album), Moss, Shuko and a slew of other unknown producers. I mean its funny when most of the mainstream shunned Bis and the underground seems to be the most fitting home for Bis because it seems to allow him to do him without all the pressure to sell records.

Overall every track isn’t classic but considered the effort and various flows and guest all the tracks are dope enough to garner praise from fans it seems like Bis can make a good album when he’s pressured too and left to his own devices. As far as standout tracks such as “The Fusion Centre” featuring Vinnie Paz from Jedi Mind Tricks, “Javelin Fangz”, “Layered Prayers” and “The Goetia” all make you feel Canibus artistry grow and have grown expotentially since his days with Wyclef. This album isn’t for the non-Bis fans this is for his hardcore fans which this reviewer is. Even if the flaws of this album is minor there’s no signs of slowing down for Canibus yet. I’m going to give it four stars because its great but not close enough to the classic material you know Canibus can do.

RATING: 4 OUT OF 5 STARS

Word, I heard about this joint from my friend who likes Canibus.

I might check it out.

this album... i dunno, probably need to give it some more spins.

it could have been great, but i really think the Infinity tracks were executed poorly and kind of messed the flow of the album.

he needed to have the beat changing, but having the same beat... over 2 11+ minutes track... didnt work for me.

no doubt they were amazing as a concept, and i enjoyed it lyrically, i just dont think it was executed as well as it could have been.

however i did like a fair few tracks on the album, and i feel Canibus is getting back to his old self. now im just waiting for RJ II to drop.

i'd give this a 7.5 over all.

favourite track:

Magnum Innominandum
    Layered Prayers
    The Goetia
    The Fusion Centre
    One Ought Not To Think

"i turned my back on rap, like God turned his back on Edan, to return like cat stevens"

haha

This album is banging to mew, some production coudv'e been better but the lyrics my god were ill!!

My evidence, my own testament, written on wood
    Twelve tribes layin at the head of corners in hoods
    Hell razah

i was only able to sit through this one a few times at the most. i wasn't really feeling most of this album. some of the collabs were tight, but as a whole, it just flat out doesn't hold my interest. the infinity tracks are dope, but not something i could listen to on a regular basis.

and just for the record, those two versions of Infinity are only 200 bars each, and the verses are very choppy. there was a 1000 bar version (a whole 49 minutes and change) that i had the leak of back when the beat didn't change, and it was mixed even worse. After hearing that a few times, i came to the conclusion that Canibus is not a human being, but either a machine or an extra-terrestrial.

6 out of 10, but only cuz he's a lyrical genius. however, that also hurts him in the end egowise (i hate big egos).

the debut album: Better 8 Than Never NOW AVAILABLE!!!

coming soon to Newbury Comics!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/8bzagnojusticenopeace
    http://www.myspace.com/8bzabeatspage

i cant get into canibus.

^ no one understands it when my spit is mismanaged

Canibus is HIP-HOP'S MASTER CHIEF

Germain hasnt been ill since Rip The. All of his latest albums suck, including this one. You want a solid Bus album, get 2000 bc. light years ahead of this whack shit.
    I'll grab and the mic and now I damage ya, cut your whole stamina
    Here comes the medical examina"--ODB

The Lyrical Anomaly Warrior Aggressive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Examina View Post
    Germain hasnt been ill since Rip The. All of his latest albums suck, including this one. You want a solid Bus album, get 2000 bc. light years ahead of this whack shit.
    MIC CLUB WAS GOOD TOO

Thumbs up suck nuts, faggot

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Examina View Post
    GTFOH

you sound stupid

Canibus quotes of the day: Wisley worded speech, frame and technique and thermal heat bridges the verbal to the beat, providing earth for your feet

The lion on the loose is not a reckless recluse, but really a dictator with his neck in a noose for war crimes hardcore rhymes from a warped mind that enjoyed the dark matter in the void before time

suck nuts, faggot

Quote Originally Posted by eight-bizza-gee View Post
    and just for the record, those two versions of Infinity are only 200 bars each, and the verses are very choppy. there was a 1000 bar version (a whole 49 minutes and change) that i had the leak of back when the beat didn't change, and it was mixed even worse. After hearing that a few times, i came to the conclusion that Canibus is not a human being, but either a machine or an extra-terrestrial.

6 out of 10, but only cuz he's a lyrical genius. however, that also hurts him in the end egowise (i hate big egos).
    Firstly, it’s 55 mins and some change. Secondly, did you just say ONLY 200 bars? Ha. Ha. And of course they sound choppy, the bars are taken all from different places within PLOO, that’s the whole point of the music which has been created. Now if it sounds confusing for ya, why are you on a Wu website? Wu started the movement when it comes to poetry and hiphop being fused together, Bis has now mastered it. 1000 bars, 5 layers of about 211 bars each, all interlinked together, some with multiple meanings, this is the best hiphop/poetry/music ever created, and all you can see is that its been blended a little choppy???

Lyrical genius yes, but big ego.....who in hiphop don't have a big ego, at least bis has a reason for havin' such a big ego, who else would even come up with an idea close to this, while all the other artists in the game are cryin' hiphop is dead, bis is doing something completely new and fresh to keep it alive and show the infinite possibilities of hiphop, THIS HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE WITH A RHYME OUTSIDE THE REALM OF TIME ITS THE FIRST OF ITS KIND!

Hafiz

Thumbs up Let the takeover begin

Quote Originally Posted by Hafiz View Post
    Firstly, it’s 55 mins and some change. Secondly, did you just say ONLY 200 bars? Ha. Ha. And of course they sound choppy, the bars are taken all from different places within PLOO, that’s the whole point of the music which has been created. Now if it sounds confusing for ya, why are you on a Wu website? Wu started the movement when it comes to poetry and hiphop being fused together, Bis has now mastered it. 1000 bars, 5 layers of about 211 bars each, all interlinked together, some with multiple meanings, this is the best hiphop/poetry/music ever created, and all you can see is that its been blended a little choppy???

Lyrical genius yes, but big ego.....who in hiphop don't have a big ego, at least bis has a reason for havin' such a big ego, who else would even come up with an idea close to this, while all the other artists in the game are cryin' hiphop is dead, bis is doing something completely new and fresh to keep it alive and show the infinite possibilities of hiphop, THIS HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE WITH A RHYME OUTSIDE THE REALM OF TIME ITS THE FIRST OF ITS KIND!

Hafiz

canibus-central about to take over wu-corp

Quote Originally Posted by Hafiz View Post

Hafiz
    aight newbie,

just cuz you're on Bis' dick doesn't give you the right to think you're on his level. Smif N Wessun once said "Wipe Ya Mouf" to dick riders.

i'm gonna attempt to clarify a little better, since you didn't read carefully the last time.

i never said that the 2 versions of Infinity were confusing. i sat through them at least 3 times each, AND i listened to the 1000 bar version about 5 times. i just thought that the choppiness of the final versions killed the tracks. that's not all i CAN say, that's just all that i said. i happen to own just about every Bis album, so don't assume i'm hating because i'm just stating my opinion.

the 1000 bar version that i have is 49 minutes and change not 55 (remember i said i had the BOOTLEG before the album dropped and my version was mixed really really REALLY badly. the beat cut out a few times and so did parts of the verses, obviously unintentionally. reading is fundamental.)

also, i happened to say that i enjoyed a few of the collabs on the album. Sun God spit the best verse i'd ever heard from him in my opinion. but i guess that isn't important.

lastly, there are more rappers (Kanye West, 50 Cent, etc.) that have big egos than hip hop artists (KRS One, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Aesop Rock, etc.) one could debate that it is the opposite, and in the end it's really all opinions. it's just like this situation, but you have to learn to read carefully. innovation is one thing, but the only reason another artist probably won't try to top Infinity, is because they haven't released 3000 minute CD-R's yet. besides that, not enough people would want to listen to a 300000000000000000000000 bar verse (don't bother calculating, cuz i know it's not really that many bars, genius.)

and by the way, i've done a long song with no chorus before. it's actually easier than structurizing verse/chorus songs if there's no real topic. i may not have used big words or scientific terms or any of that, but the song was made. anything is easy if you don't have a real deadline or you don't ever sleep.

your boy Bis is not saving hip hop. there's nothing wrong with hip hop. commercial rap is the real issue. try saving that, or help destroy it. either way.

the debut album: Better 8 Than Never NOW AVAILABLE!!!

coming soon to Newbury Comics!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/8bzagnojusticenopeace
    http://www.myspace.com/8bzabeatspage