View Poll Results: Well?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Religion is beneficial and human societies are better offwith it.

8 16.67%
  • Religion is malicious to human societies.

15 31.25%
  • Religion is out of date...but still useful.

10 20.83%
  • Religion is obsolete.

6 12.50%
  • Other....

9 18.75%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you think human kind is better off with/without Religion?

Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Journalz View Post
    Shout outs to the people who know that it's the people that follow the doctrines that make it bad, rather than the doctrines themselves. As to those of you who think religion in itself is the "cause", as long as mankind walks the planet, there will always be war, murder and robbery. In case you forgot, there are things called greed, lust, and a host of other problems that I could name that are more popular now, than ever before. So stop taking the easy route just because your local news station told you so.

Bitches.
    There seems to be a lot more douche bags nowadays also. Nice way to call people a bitch, just cause they don't agree with ya.

Urban_Journalz you pointed out that there will always be wars, murder and robbery... just as there will always be people who do what society deems as right and what it deems as wrong.

so where does religion fit in, if these truths aren't preventable, then isnt religion obsolete to a degree?

personally, i think the amount of money governments spend on religion is one aspects which is negative. building/restoring a church at the expense of funding health care and education is a bad thing in my opinion.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koolish View Post
    wow, do you realize what claim you're making? you are saying the only reason a human being decides to end another's life is over religious beliefs. did Chris Benoit go on some kind of Holy war in his own house? i don't think so.
    That wasn't what he was saying at all. He was referring to the killings in religious wars, I think.

He made a good point. Respect of other religions would stop most religion inspired violence.

Decentralization would keep powerful leaders from using religion and respect for other religions would stop the religions themselves from becoming violent at one another. Problem more or less solved.

not everything has to do with religion, but still, most acts are based on religion

ww1 and ww2 arent about religion you are right, but are based on the believes of some insane people that were just taken for granted buy the public and that is as bad as religion, it something 1 person says and the people that cant think for their own believe in that

not a single person is the same as another, so why act like they are trough religion, it only makes the distance to other believes or people with no religion bigger and bigger and will result in conflicts

Dinosaur Hunter Slippy The Pimp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koolish View Post
    wow, do you realize what claim you're making? you are saying the only reason a human being decides to end another's life is over religious beliefs. did Chris Benoit go on some kind of Holy war in his own house? i don't think so.

the general consensus today is that people are too stupid to make their own decisions, and only perform actions based on what influenced them.

for example, after the Virginia Tech massacre certain media outlets focused on why violent forms of media made him kill. they refused to believe that he consciously decided to kill and was only forced by external sources.

as such, certain people also believe that it is the religion that makes a person who they are. if that is true, then every single Christian should be the same. if they are not then this claim is not valid.

EVERY war has not been started over religion. the most infamous of those wars were the crusades. otherwise, World War 1/2 were not about religion. interesting in how religion and war are always criticized as if they go hand in hand but the two largest wars in history were not about religion.

If everyone respected each other's religion, we wouldn't have the social problems that we face today.

There's certain values people have today that aren't respectful.

The guy that shot up v-tech probably got tired of all socially excepted stereo types that people are always given asians. He proably got tired of the way people treate him.

If people had respect for other peoples religions, then a respect for cultures would follow. Then a respect for your fellow man. Then a better society all around with happier people, and a lot less killing.
    Last edited by Slippy The Pimp; 07-21-2007 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Fist View Post
    That wasn't what he was saying at all. He was referring to the killings in religious wars, I think.

He made a good point. Respect of other religions would stop most religion inspired violence.

Decentralization would keep powerful leaders from using religion and respect for other religions would stop the religions themselves from becoming violent at one another. Problem more or less solved.
    Yes, that was what I was getting at.

But think about this, when has america ever voted for muslim president?

When countries go to war it's always religious, on some level.

Wu Vatican

Since when has there ever been a significant muslim population in the united states?

Since when has someone in the middle easted "voted" for a christian president?
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy Capalini View Post
    Bullshit. It's people like you that think your religions better than everyone elses, or the one true religion. That's one of the main causews of war and fighting over the years. If everyone just respected each other's religion, people wouldn't be killing each other.

The "there will aways be war, murder, and robbery" shit is just a cop out. An exscuse for you to think it's okay to disrespect other peoples religion.

Peace to Islam, Christianity, Hindu, Taoists, or whatever kind of religion you follow have a nice day.
    Fuck off Slip. You couldn't move dirt if you panned for gold. That was one of the sorriest attempts at mind-reading that I've seen in a while as well. Clearly your martial arts experience has emphasized all of no philosophy and pure physical prowess.
    "Die before you die."-Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

Quote Originally Posted by check two View Post
    There seems to be a lot more douche bags nowadays also. Nice way to call people a bitch, just cause they don't agree with ya.
    Not callin' em bitches per se, just stupid. But thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sean michael View Post
    Urban_Journalz you pointed out that there will always be wars, murder and robbery... just as there will always be people who do what society deems as right and what it deems as wrong.

so where does religion fit in, if these truths aren't preventable, then isnt religion obsolete to a degree?
    No.

The only thing that's obsolete is mankind's ability to live properly for the sake of the world and themselves. It's not cool to follow and kind of rule anymore, especially one that's not accepted on a wide scale by western society. That's why we have so much turmoil right now. People will see the lie, hear the lie and still make themselves believe that it doesn't affect them. Then, of course, there are the false prophets that mankind was warned about poppin' up all over the place, Jim Jones (the real one), David Coresh, and L. Ron Hubbard, just to name a few.

Again, the real problem lies in mankind's widespread spinelessness. We claim to want the truth, but run away screaming whenever it's brought to us, simply because we may not agree with it.

It's like having a cold and the only remedy is raw garlic. Many of you would automatically say, "But garlic is nasty!" Too stupid and selfish to think, "Hey, I'm sick and I should take this because A: It's healthy, and B: It may just work." But at the same time when you say garlic is nasty, some of you drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes quite regularly, knowing good & hell well that neither one of those taste good at all. The only difference is, one is killing you and the other one isn't.

See my point? Most of you are so conditioned, even your conditioning has been condiditioned. So to make things easier, you blame religion. That's hilarious. As if it would solve all the world's problems if it were "abolished". That would justgive people the right to act even dumber than they already do.

What really baffles me, is that with thoughts like these, people seem to be on a serious road to forgetting about death. Deliberately. 99% of people do things like forget about religion in order to make themselves believe that all there is to life is this world. The ice-caps are melting around your ears, and I still come in and read some of the dumbest shit known to man.

The sickest part is some of you think you're doing something grand, brave even, in bringing such stupidity to the table.

You think it's a new concept to want to "abolish" religion? Or that it's "the cause of the world's problems?" How do you think scripture started to get tampered with in the first place? Why do you think there are so many sects of ALL the major religions? Because man wants what he wants and is willing to go against anyone to satisfy his own lusts.

Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    Since when has there ever been a significant muslim population in the united states?

Since when has someone in the middle easted "voted" for a christian president?
    Now your catching on.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Journalz View Post
    Fuck off Slip. You couldn't move dirt if you panned for gold. That was one of the sorriest attempts at mind-reading that I've seen in a while as well. Clearly your martial arts experience has emphasized all of no philosophy and pure physical prowess.
    But you are saying my interepetation of your attitude is correct. I mean you do follow the one true God don't you? And all other religions follow the wrong god. Only islams interpretation of the bible is correct, correct? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy Capalini View Post
    But you are saying my interepetation of your attitude is correct. I mean you do follow the one true God don't you? And all other religions follow the wrong god. Only islams interpretation of the bible is correct, correct? Please correct me if i'm wrong.
    Then let the correcting begin.

Muslims follow the God of Abraham, Moses, Aaron, Jesus, Etc. Peace be upon them. Since all of the above mentioned prophets were Hebrews, then it should be clear that the Jews worship the same God that Muslims do. As far as Christians, most of them break the First Commandment with the Trinitarian theory. God has no partners or equals.

So the group that's the furthest astray would be the Christians, because they either say that a man was God Himself. Which would make Him dependent upon His own creation, since Jesus (pbuh) needed food, water, and use of the facilities. Or worse, that God had a son with His own creation. Again, this smells just like that Greco-Roman trash with Zeus and Hercules and I know I'm not the only one who sees this, but people are comfy in their blindness.

So it's simple, The Jews know the truth but constantly disobeyed. The Christians twisted and allowed their message to be twisted for so long that they themselves don't know what direction to follow. Hence the numerous different versions of The Bible that are floating around the world.

Muslims worship the same God that gave Moses (pbuh) The Torah and Jesus (pbuh) The Gospel. It's not my fault that people choose to follow what makes them happy instead of what was given to them. But those are the facts.

Islam has always been the true doctrine. Even before the Islam we know about was given to the world. Who do you think the Prophets and Messengers prayed to? Who do you think they told their people to pray to? Ask for forgiveness from and make sacrifices to? The Prophets themselves? Or the One who SENT The Prophets?

As for The Qur'an's mentioning The Bible, since the contradictions in The Bible itself aren't enough for you, if you've even read it, yes, Islam's interpretation IS correct.

First of all, all the people who want to say, "Islam is just trying to say it's better than Christianity and Judaism." clearly haven't read The Qur'an. God calls out to The Children of Israel MANY times, and tells them, "Call to mind the favors which I bestowed upon you, and obey my messenger."

Not only does The Qur'an mention The Gospel, but it states a couple of parts thereof directly. Such as, "We ordained for them (Israel), the eye for the eye and the tooth for the tooth." Also, "Verily, a rich man will not enter heaven until a camel passes through the eye of a needle."

God knows His creations and He knows mankind has always been stupid, so that's why, even with previous scriptures being re-written, they're still basically idiot-proof if one bothers to connect the dots.
    Last edited by Urban_Journalz; 07-23-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Walk Like a Warrior blackwisdom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Free_HeyZeus View Post
    Share your thoughts. I personally believe that religion provides a strong moral basis for human civilizations. In ancient times it was used as a control device but it did establish the most prolific. In modern times it guides some to a goal whether it be misguided or not. I think religion is beneficial.

I do these threads so I don't get banned for my other threads.
    According to my understanding, religion is simply one's relation to one's creator. It's an ingrained desire within the human psyche to connect with one's power source. Religion has, is and will always affect our politics, education, war, sex, entertainment, etc. Xenophobia causes the rifts that leave fowl odors in the air. Even I, one who claims no institutional religious affiliation, have religion in it's purest form. I connect with my creator, so in that sense it will never be obsolete. Corruptness will always remain in institutional religions as long as materialism remains the ultimate goal of the heads of religion instead of spirituality.

In conclusion, religion is necessary and like all things it has dual poles, so it will always be with us in multiple forms and applications. Listen to Mos Def's Black on Both Sides intro for the answer to the problems.

Peace

"Read everything, listen to everybody, don't trust anything unless you can prove it with your research." - William "Bill" Cooper
    Myspace Libradio Prison Radio/Mumia Fourty-Two/Seven

^^Finally someone with some god damn sense. Peace Black wisdom, haven't seen around here in a long time, with good reason probably.