58 59.79%
  • Illmatic's production is better than Liquid Swords'

31 31.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Liquid Swords vs. Illmatic

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Slim T View Post
    I could say any answer and change my mind according to the weather, it's ridiculous to constantly rank rap albums anyway, they're both quite nice and Primus sucks.
    Yeah, I get what you're saying, but saying Illmatic better lyrically is rediculous. If you favor Illmatic over Liquid Swords, then that's fine, but saying it's better lyrically is plain stupid. Google Liquid Swords if you want to know the true definition of lyricism

Non Ignorant Math Team

i agree with the genius. gza had far better lyrics

NON-IGS

Non Ignorant Math Team

in fact ill give u an example of how liquid swords was so lyrical

'Now look whose on the witness stand (singin), a well known (soprano)
    A (smash hit) from Sammy Gravano'

all the words in brackets are all terms used in singing and music e.g. a smash hit is a song that's done very well in the charts

'A (smash hit) from Sammy Gravano
    Here's the (plan) minimum for the (hit), two hundred grand
    (Half time) at the (game) blastin niggas out the (stands)
    The (sharp-shooters) hit the prosecutor, (judges) are sent'

all the words in the brackets are terms used in sports. i think the sport is american football but im not sure cuz i dont know much about it. e.g. half time=the part of the game when the teams take a break

i also love how the line 'A smash hit from Sammy Gravano' is in both allegories. its very clever and witty yet its written in such a plan non-boastful manner.

liquid swords is far more lyrical than illmatic.

NON-IGS

PRODIGAL SUN

I never listen to Illmatic, whereas LS gets regular bumps. Producton wise and lyrically it's better IMO

Quote Originally Posted by rakimkoolgrapwutang View Post
    i agree with the genius. gza had far better lyrics
    See that I have listened 1000 times to Liquid Swords and still didn't know that shit about Killah Hills 10304. I know a lot of the double entendres and metaphors he uses in it though. Like when he kicks it and says Restaurants on the stakeout so order the food to take out with the John Gotti stuff. Then he says chaos outside the spark steakhouse, Castellano was killed there. GZA's visual is amazing and there is no album out there that can reach any album GZA made since Liquid Swords. What's up rakimkoolgrapwu it's me from youtube & last

Non Ignorant Math Team

yeah i know lol wheres that caribbean connection canibus thread u told me about

NON-IGS

Quote Originally Posted by rakimkoolgrapwutang View Post
    yeah i know lol wheres that caribbean connection canibus thread u told me about
    yes, didn't get any response or must've forgotten reading it or something. Nas lyrically is not on GZA's level. Pro Tools >> Illmatic lyrically and I'm seriously not joking. Illmatic is far better than Pro Tools tho lol. The four words I need to describe gza is genius, clever, witty and visual. Look at this line in 'Third world' where he says visual niggaz paint portraits, cause as artist you should be able to paint pictures with your rhymes and paint what you see&think. He also said it in Reunited, but in a different way see that's GZA's ability, cause he says in Reunited: I splash the paint on the wall, form the mural. Took a look, saw the manifestation if it was plural. The most overrated album of all time when it comes to lyrics = Illmatic. It has like 10 songs, 1 is intro so that's 9 and One Time 4 Your Mind & Represent aren't lyrical so that's just 7 songs. The fuck outta here how is 7 songs on Illmatic that are very lyrical better than GZA's lyrical performance on Liquid Swords which was extremely lyrical. Seriously I love the album it's my 2nd favorite hiphop album of all time, but I got sick of people overrating it.

Non Ignorant Math Team

True IWW was far more lyrical than illmatic imo

NON-IGS

3 Piece & A Biscuit Crown Fried Patron's Avatar

The one thing Illmatic has over Liquid Swords is the diversity in production. Other than that, LS is as good or better in all other aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Fried Patron View Post
    The one thing Illmatic has over Liquid Swords is the diversity in production. Other than that, LS is as good or better in all other aspects.
    Well, A Long Hot Summer by Masta Ace has more diverse production than Illmatic, but that doesn't make it any better. I see what you're getting at though. Liquid Swords besides BIBLE is extremely dark album and it's from the start til I Gotcha Back. This is because Liquid Swords works with one producer RZA who is responsible for almost the whole album, whereas Illmatic has various producers (definitely they belong to the greatests). But I think that's the good thing about LS' production. It has a sound and a theme to it (not saying Illmatic doesn't have that).