Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooz' Book Thread

Default Wooz' Book Thread

Books I've recently read:

The Secret Sharer by Joseph Conrad
    and also I reread The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac

Currently I'm Reading The Electrict Kool-Aid Acid Tests by Tom Wolf

Some of my favorite books are On the Road by Jack Kerouac and The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy as well as The Sea Wolf by Jack London

Add on if you have any comments and maybe i'll do a review of some books sometime

comment: The Electric Kool Aid Test is an interesting read indeed.

yeah it is. Im not finished with it so this opinion might be void in a week, im still on the fence about wolf's writing style. The way he uses ellipses to end paragraphs sometimes makes it difficult to read because it bounces so much. I dont know, just how im feeling at the minute.

yeah it isnt an easy read by any means, still worth it though imo.

i read the whole thing, then revisited parts that were interesting or i sort of skimmed over originally...

you seem to be into the whole beat generation thing wooz, bit off topic, but you ever had a look at the Don Juan books?

interesting reads.

i know of the don juan legend and story, but not as it pertains or relates to beat generation writers, explain

in theory, within 10 years, depends how other things fall together

Quote Originally Posted by maestro wooz View Post
    i know of the don juan legend and story, but not as it pertains or relates to beat generation writers, explain

ah, nah im not saying it does explicitely, some beat generation stuff and "Electric Kool Aid.." just got me into the Don Juan books.

oh aight

im a couple chapters past when the hells angels come to la honda, no complaints anymore

i finished electric.... and i also finished ham on rye by charles bukowski, reviews forthcoming

And in the end..? Kriszy Substance's Avatar

Wooz reads good books....will keep an eye out for reviews...hardly remember ham on rye...was too long ago that I read it....

I am very interested in the "tell all" that Wu-matic speaks of. (I realize it is not proper to end a sentence in a preposition)

I miss late night questions with Wooz.

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

sick thread...

gotta go to bed soon, ill get up in this this weekend..

peace wooz

Quote Originally Posted by Kriszy Substance View Post
    Wooz reads good books....will keep an eye out for reviews...hardly remember ham on rye...was too long ago that I read it....
    reviews coming tommorow or possibly the day after or possibly the day after that

I am very interested in the "tell all" that Wu-matic speaks of. (I realize it is not proper to end a sentence in a preposition)
    he was making a joke since the latest misinformed slander against me is that i am a snitch and often cooperate with the police, but in seriousness i plan on eventually explaining the world for everyone someday

I miss late night questions with Wooz.
    haha same, but we've both moved on from general chat and only participate in serious wu tang discussions now.

today i picked up visions of cody by kerouac and started reading through a copy of the tao te ching that i have. Im only 15 pages in, but visions of cody is dense with elaborate details in classic kerouac run-on sentences. Im trying to cram in as much reading this summer while i have the time and am sober(for the most part) from mary juana.

have you read "Desolation Angels" wooz, i literally just started it... im like 2 pages in.

if so what are your thoughts on it, good?

also would be interesting to see your final thoughts on "Electric Kool-aid", im re reading some of it currently coincidentally.

nah never read desolation angels, i almost picked it up the other day but i got visions of cody instead

Electric kool-aid was a tight book. Some of the stories were amazing; hells angels at la honda, anything neal cassady, the acid tests, on and on and on. I was not a huge huge fan of wolfe's writing style, but i guess it was the best way to convey some of the feelings they were having. I mean, an acid trip is hardly the most coherent and straightforward thing, so writing intending to reflect acid trips is not gonna be straightforward. Not that i disliked it by the end, just wasnt raving about it. The book did have some slow parts but overall the story line moved well and even when there was no action by the characters wolfe kept it moving with details and background info that helped you understand everything better. Some amazing parts where i couldnt put it down. I liked it and theres some parts that are def worth a re-read. I also think wolfe described the effects and general feeling of a trip very well.

Ham on rye was a very good. Ill start by saying it was a very easy read. No complicated detailed introspective thoughts or run-on sentences that go for a whole page, but part of its attraction was in that fact. It was very to the point, not a single wasted word. Bukowski lets the actions and the limited dialogue do the explaining and teaching in this novel. I was at the beach with my family, bored out of my mind, and sat down outside for near 5 hours and got through all almost 300 pages. A cool read with a real awesome character, henry chinanski, that is worth the minimal time it'd take to read it. Another good book.

Like ive said, im reading visions of cody by kerouac right now and im up to page 90 something right now. The story is basically all about neal cassady and (so far) his childhood growing up. I have to think this is the quintessential example of kerouac's type of writing, with alot of very long sentences that go for ever and take you down all types of thought alleys. Its really like reading about neal cassady as if neal cassady was telling his story to you in his classic "speech" type of speak sometimes. Can be tiring because theres just so much detail and description packed in to each page, but im getting through it. So far it definetley gets a passing grade.

i know what you mean about wolfes style, its definitely unconventional.